Is there an oil that's better for long time based changes?

There is absolutely no benefit to starting and idling a car that is in winter storage. Just park it at the beginning of winter and don't start it until a few months later when you bring it out and drive it. Keep the battery on a maintainer and leave the car alone.
Well we do say the worst thing you can do for a motor is let it sit.

This goes for lawn equipment, motorcycles, boats, ATVs or any other internal combustion motorized whatever. Ever heard someone recommend periodic start ups for riding lawnmowers and boats during winter storage? I definitely haven’t. But somehow with vehicles this seems to be a thing.
For cars people generally don't want to drain the fuel etc, so it's best to drive a car every 2-3 months, take it on the highway, etc. It's stored "ready to go"

Or you can drain the fuel, put it up on stands/blocks, and not start it, but when you need it you have to get a can of gas, put a battery in it, prime the oil system (if you believe in that) and air up the tires. But this takes some work.

If it's just parked for 6 months it's fine either way, if you plan on leaving it for a year+ then you have to either drive it every month or two to charge the batteries and circulate the juices or store it properly.

For cars people generally don't want to drain the fuel etc, so it's best to drive a car every 2-3 months, take it on the highway, etc. It's stored "ready to go"

Or you can drain the fuel, put it up on stands/blocks, and not start it, but when you need it you have to get a can of gas, put a battery in it, prime the oil system (if you believe in that) and air up the tires. But this takes some work.

If it's just parked for 6 months it's fine either way, if you plan on leaving it for a year+ then you have to either drive it every month or two to charge the batteries and circulate the juices or store it properly.
I disagree. Prep it for storage properly, which includes fuel treatment, and leave it alone. It’s doing more harm than good starting it and driving around isn’t always a viable option.

1712232661295.jpeg

While it is true that a vehicle just sitting for years, never driven, especially in the sun, the elements, etc is a pretty darn bad. Hoses age and rot, polymers can get brittle, metal can oxidize, colors can fade, etc.

An engine with good oil can sit for a couple years - while not ideal - it is somewhat sealed, and under a hood. Selected oils have the right amount of vaporizing antioxidants, antirust additive to help protect the engine internals.

I don’t understand how starting an engine is bad…. But I’m not putting anything in storage it’s just in the winter I don’t spend as much time at the bay home.

Have a 2013 GT500 that we only put a couple K a year on tops, sometimes way less. I put M1 Euro 0-40 in it as I don't drag race it or track it.

I don’t understand how starting an engine is bad…. But I’m not putting anything in storage it’s just in the winter I don’t spend as much time at the bay home.
Starting an engine puts a load of unburned fuel and water into the engine and oil. Turning it off immediately or even half warm leaves these in the oil and engine, rusting and depleting the oil additives.

Point is, unless you get in the vehicle and drive good and hard until the oil is over 210°F for awhile, it's best not to start the engine at all.

Starting and idling for 10 minutes or whatever and seeing water temp gauge heat up is not enough

Starting an engine isn’t bad. Short idles and short trips are bad.

I know I’m joking around some but seriously folks are giving you good information here. If you don’t want to receive it, that is entirely up to you, but then don’t ask the questions.

I disagree. Prep it for storage properly, which includes fuel treatment, and leave it alone. It’s doing more harm than good starting it and driving around isn’t always a viable option.
I'm trying to say there's 2 ways to keep a vehicle. Store it properly or drive it occasionally (not store it at all)

Im going to Canada for 2 years, and can't bring my car with me, so I'll leave it at my dad's house under a car cover and have him drive it every month or two. This way the tires don't get flat spots and the engine seals keep some oil on them. And if my dad needs it for any reason he can just take the car cover off and start driving.

I'm trying to say there's 2 ways to keep a vehicle. Store it properly or drive it occasionally (not store it at all)

Im going to Canada for 2 years, and can't bring my car with me, so I'll leave it at my dad's house under a car cover and have him drive it every month or two. This way the tires don't get flat spots and the engine seals keep some oil on them. And if my dad needs it for any reason he can just take the car cover off and start driving.
Ok. However I would argue that by definition if you are (or your dad is) driving the vehicle periodically you are not actually storing it. It is just being used less frequently. There may be similarities in the approach, but it is a different situation.

Back