Is there an oil that's better for long time based changes?

How often is the engine started? If the interval between starts is lengthy I would try to find an oil that has a higher polar properties (esters) on the better probability it hangs around on critical surfaces.

How often is the engine started? If the interval between starts is lengthy I would try to find an oil that has a higher polar properties (esters) on the better probability it hangs around on critical surfaces.
In the summer a few times a month. In the winter maybe once every 3-4 months

Blackstone says time doesn't really matter. Lake Speed 2 says change the oil after a year. I'm sure there are 10,000 other experts that will give opinions that occupy every spot on the spectrum between those two schools of thought.

Lake Spreed Jr. also says don't start the car when it's in storage. Not saying he's the be-all, end-all, but his opinion is probably as valid, if not more so, than the average BITOGer.

Blackstone says time doesn't really matter. Lake Speed 2 says change the oil after a year. I'm sure there are 10,000 other experts that will give opinions that occupy every spot on the spectrum between those two schools of thought.

Lake Spreed Jr. also says don't start the car when it's in storage. Not saying he's the be-all, end-all, but his opinion is probably as valid, if not more so, than the average BITOGer.

I would definitely start a car every once in a while in storage, but if you do start it you definitely should allow it to warm up , starting it and shutting it off 2 minutes later is just about the worst thing to do as many people do that.

I would definitely start a car every once in a while in storage, but if you do start it you definitely should allow it to warm up , starting it and shutting it off 2 minutes later is just about the worst thing to do as many people do that.

There is absolutely no benefit to starting and idling a car that is in winter storage. Just park it at the beginning of winter and don't start it until a few months later when you bring it out and drive it. Keep the battery on a maintainer and leave the car alone.

There is absolutely no benefit to starting and idling a car that is in winter storage. Just park it at the beginning of winter and don't start it until a few months later when you bring it out and drive it. Keep the battery on a maintainer and leave the car alone.
Says a Corvette owner in Ontario - take it to the bank !

Says a Corvette owner in Ontario - take it to the bank !
This goes for lawn equipment, motorcycles, boats, ATVs or any other internal combustion motorized whatever. Ever heard someone recommend periodic start ups for riding lawnmowers and boats during winter storage? I definitely haven’t. But somehow with vehicles this seems to be a thing.

Back