Is there a synthetic Toyota Type T-IV (4) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to buy some of Specialty Formulation's Synthetic Toyota Type T-IV but he is currently not in operations.

Does anybody else make a synthetic fluid rated Toyota Type T-IV?

Amsoil Universal is recommended for T-IV applications and receives good reports on the board.

Castrol Import Multi-vehicle and Valvoline Maxlife are said to be good and are at least synth blends.

Amsoil, Castrol and Valvoline ATFs - none of these are approved towards T-IV spec. The only other approved product is JWS3309 by Exxon/Mobil. There is no synthetic version of T-IV.

Yes, it is Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF. The spec it for Toyota T-IV. Check the product data sheet, it states that it is speced for Toyota T-IV. I also have it in my Toyota, and have done two flushes with it in. It works very nicely, and shifts smooth. It is also easier to get and much cheaper than the Amsoil.

Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF is NOT a synthetic. Says so in the first sentence of the first paragraph in the link you provided.

both type IV and JWS 3309 are conventional fluids....,
as is Pennzoil A/M/M......, only the Penz has a ton of VII'S.... to lower the pur point....,

I used the Pennz in my Rav , for almost a year..., in the winter everything was fine, but as the weather warmed up, The trans was shifting very harshly, and a high pitched whine started....., I called Penz tech , and spoke to someone who said it was not compatable with JWS3309....., and certin AISIN WARNER auto transmission..., Penz, is not compatible with the friction material in the AISIN WARNER trans........, the tech todl me to fluch the trans with a JWS 3309 approved fluid....,
I flushed 12 litres of mobil 3309 through the trans.....,
the shifts are smooth again, and the noise is gone......,

If you have an AISIN WARNER trans be very weary what you put into it........., it easy to tell. Look into your manual...
If it says to use TypeIV or Jws3309 it IS an AW trans.
if it says to use typeIV or DEXIII in emergencies then it is most likly not AW.

Dont forget to drop the tans pan and clean it , if you have more than 75,000miles. ..... mine had lots of metal material on the magnets.

cheers
Also you can not rebuild AW auto trans , you have to buy a new one......$$$$$$$$$$, according to 4 dealerships, and 6 trans shops in my area.

Actually, just about any AW trans can be rebuilt. Some of the newest ones are difficult to find the parts for. But, the aftermarket catches on after a couple years, usually base on demand/need for those parts. If a shop can't rebuild a unit, its because they are incompetent. There are plenty of easy to rebuild units that they can build and prefer to stick with.
Transmissions require tool investment that many shops don't bother with acquiring. Due to the competence levels at dealerships, many don't have a 'tranny' man to do rebuilds. Since swapping is a no brainer, and preferred to prevent problems, they just swap it out. This core exchange has become very popular when skill level is lacking. Other dealers can actually contract out to local transmissions shops willing to take on the work.

I haven't seen the formula for Pzl MV. I doubt it has a ton of VIIs in it and the MSDS shows 10-20% polymers. Probably the same as any other ATF. All the bottles that I've used were labelled synth blend. That alone would serious help the cold weather performance and the meaningless pour point measurement(simply adding a depressant).

If it takes T-IV, its an Aisin trans. I haven't seen a non-Aisin trans requiring T-IV.

Besides Amsoil, Xcel makes a full synthetic ATF that is suitable for T-IV usage.
Penrite(for those in Australia) makes a synthetic ATF and Sin ATF that is also suitable for T-IV usage.

Most every other universal/multivehicle ATF, like the Pennzoil, is a synthetic blend.

the viscosity at -40 is cs 8600..., that is quite low for a dino oil...., actually very close to Amsoil's -40.

There are over 1 million in the city I live in , and not one shop/dealer will rebuild an AW trans..., so good luck in finding somewhere to do it for you....., unless the OP can do it himself. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back