Is There a Specific Tool to Test Belt Tension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Timing Belt Tension & Drive Belts

Not working on a stand, I had a hard time measuring the deflection of the belts with 22 lbs force. Is there a tool that makes this easier when stuff is blocking in the way. Top access to the belt is possible, but I can't see a side view.

there actually is a tool for that. it has two fingers that hold the belt and a spring loaded thing that applys pressure and measures the deflection pressure

Google Krikit, or belt tension gauge.

The Krikit works OK if you have access to the midpoint of the belt. Align, press down until it clicks, then read it without jostling the lever.

I would think experienced mechanics would go simply by feel.
thumbsup2.gif

yeah it's called your hands and it's free :) find the longest straight section of the belt. twist by hand. if you can twist more than 90 degrees then it's too loose and vice versa.

Last edited:
If it's a timing belt it probably has a spring loaded tensioner that sets a standard level of tension, but it depends on the model. Some have an offset mounting bolt and the tensioner is torqued to a spec with a torque wrench. Yeah a lot of mechanics tighten belts by feel and some overtighten them and shorten the service of several parts. Not too many cars being made now with timing belts or adjustable belt drives.

Krikit. The belt on my Cherokee goes on a lot tighter than you would think. Napa should have the available - look for the guy with the greyest hair and tell him what you want - they'll know!

I'll note that the unit I have may not read 22 lbs real well!

I have tried several belt tensioning tools.
Nothing but frustration, confusion, and unrepeateable results.

Set the belt medium tight and recheck them in a few days to a week. Then again in several months.

If you only have one chance with a new belt, tighten it a bit tight, so it will seat in to normal.

What do you guys think about a Rapala Fish Hook Scale, PULLING the belt from below and trying to read the deflection by holding a ruler. That's what I did. Completely inaccurate?

Basically the service manual says to PUSH the mid point from above with 22 lbs, then they state the amount of deflection in millimeters or inches.

Originally Posted By: 1993_VG30E_GXE
What do you guys think about a Rapala Fish Hook Scale, PULLING the belt from below and trying to read the deflection by holding a ruler. That's what I did. Completely inaccurate?

Basically the service manual says to PUSH the mid point from above with 22 lbs, then they state the amount of deflection in millimeters or inches.

I think this could be completely accurate or accurate enough depending on the accuraccy of the fish scale and how well you can read the deflection with a ruler.

For many, tightening a drive belt is a subjective judgement tempered by experience. The results using tools that quantify belt tightness vary depending on the tool. And sometimes there just is not enough room to use a tool. Perhaps you would do well to pop the hoods on some newer cars and press on the belts with your thumb. Although the deflections will vary depending on the distance between pulleys, I would bet you'll develop "the feel" without having to devise or buy a tool. Some tend to adjust belts a bit loose because it is easier on the bearings of whatever is being driven. That's a safe approach because a belt that is too loose will screech at you to let you know.

Is there a risk though with a belt too loose - like the timing belt on the Maxima - if too loose would it break or something?

Timing belt is important on this car, as, if it breaks I beleive valves will smack piston heads, and do bad damage unlike many cars where you can just coast I guess. Can anyone confirm this? If service manual says don't roatate camshaft pulley separately from crankshaft pulley, or valves will strike piston heads, does that automatically confirm it's an 'interference engine'? Or do they just say that as default.

I can tell you that with 11mm of deflection on the timing belt, it's pretty [censored] tight. It barely moves when you press it, but it does feel like the old one I took off.

Originally Posted By: 1993_VG30E_GXE
Is there a risk though with a belt too loose - like the timing belt on the Maxima - if too loose would it break or something?

Yes in theory a too loose timing belt could jump teeth. What kind of tensioner does your Nissan have? I thought it had a spring loaded tensioner but I don't remember.

Quote:
Timing belt is important on this car, as, if it breaks I beleive valves will smack piston heads, and do bad damage unlike many cars where you can just coast I guess. Can anyone confirm this? If service manual says don't roatate camshaft pulley separately from crankshaft pulley, or valves will strike piston heads, does that automatically confirm it's an 'interference engine'? Or do they just say that as default.

I think it probably is an interference engine.

Quote:
I can tell you that with 11mm of deflection on the timing belt, it's pretty [censored] tight. It barely moves when you press it, but it does feel like the old one I took off.

That sounds good. Again if the car has a spring loaded tensioner than it most likely will be tensioned right. The main thing with timing belts is you want to get the OEM, or at least a known good brand.

Thanks bud. The tensioner I got is a GMB, I guess it's German? The build quality seems better than the previous no name brand one the previous mechanics put in there. The tensioner had a spring (purchased separately from Nissan OEM) but I threw it out, as the spring I believe is just for convenience when setting it, because you stick an allen key in it and rotate it by hand, then torque a lock nut to 32 ft-lbs or something tight once in position. The spring does nothing or maybe it is a backup in case the locknut fails, the spring will put a minor amount of tension as a safety mechanism.

Either way I couldn't get the spring to install properly, it kept flicking off the stud, it gave no tension, it was brand new OEM, so I threw it out, as I didn't want it to jiggle somehow and get caught on the belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back