Is there a "reverse search" for oil filter fitment? i.e. What other cars would a filter fit.

Curious if there is some kind of reverse search to see what other cars some filters I have lying around would fit.

I have a bad habit of buying extra things just in case or "planning for the future". e.g. if I go to a parts place to buy an oil filter, I would buy 2, maybe even 3. This applies to oil too. I buy it on sale, but 3 or 4 jugs at a time. I feel I'd waste less time this way (why go again to a parts place for just one filter when I could have it in "inventory" on a shelf in my garage?)

The trouble occurs when I've sold a car that I have a stash of parts for. For example, I presently have 6 spare filters that clearly don't fit my current car.

But I can't remember what cars the filters are for. They are brand new and sealed in their boxes. I should sell them off for a fair price to someone who has the right car(s).

WIX Filters has a nice set up. You go to filter search, input the WIX # OR the filter# you have. It now converts to a WIX filter with the specs. If you scroll down it shows ALL APPLICATIONS.
Fram's website also has a similar search tool. Enter the filter model in the window in the upper RH corner.

1661328073589.jpg

The Baldwin Product Guide Catalog has a general "what this fits" column. Using this info, you can drill down further by application.

The Purolator look-up book (which was in Kmarts, among other places) used to include "reverse search." Not sure whether they still publish it.

Similar question, how do people find bigger-than-oem filters that also fit their car?
Tell us what car and filter it calls for, and most likely someone here will know what the oversized filter will be.

Similar question, how do people find bigger-than-oem filters that also fit their car?
Many sites like Wix and Donaldson have attribute searches. Put in the "must be" dims like thread pitch and gasket size, the let the "length" (or height, depending on how you look at it) be the variable.

CAUTION: Do what you want, but there's little pratical reason to "upsize" a filter.

I often wondered why the '03 Safari took a PF47, yet earlier model years a PF52 was specified.

Someone on the Astro-Safari forum that worked on the assembly line in Baltimore posted that the longer PF52's where getting dented on the assembly line during drivetrain install and the idiot-proof fix was to fit the shorter filter.

Back