Is There A Harley Davidson Mechanic In The House?

Good Afternoon Board,

My son has a 2016 HD Dyna Street Bob, completely stock. It is garaged with me, I take it out regularly and I've noticed a "hiss sound" coming around on the air filter area. Upon inspection, I notice the following in the photo, one of the metal nipples had a black cap on, the other did not.
When I put my finger over the non-capped nipple, the hissing sound stopped, it was obviously drawing in air, I could feel the suction on my finger. I bought the cap, asked if a HD mechanic at the dealership could confirm it should be capped, and they could not answer as the Head Master Mechanic was not in today.

The HD part number is: 90383-98 Cap Plug, Induction Module.

Is there an HD Mechanic on our board that could properly advise me?

Thanks,

RevRider

1685306323641.jpeg

Anything that is between the filter and the engine, and that is sucking in air, would get a cap from me. No, I’m not a HD mechanic, but you’ve told me enough that I would cap it.

Unmetered air will make it run poorly. Unfiltered air, which is what I think this is, allows it to suck in dust and debris. No manufacturer intends for there to be an unfiltered vacuum leak…

Last edited:
I’ve got a picture of an old rental with that air cleaner and it agrees with my knee jerk reaction, and Astro’s conclusion that of course it shouldn’t have a vacuum leak .

Big thank you for the quick responses! :)

Upon a further inspection, I found a loose hose just behind that connector point, I pictured it below.

I slid the hose over the nipple, it was the only "loose hose" available, and only 1 nipple uncovered, so I think they are a match for each other, and the sizing of the hose, i.e., diameter and length is a perfect match - so I think it's resolved.

Does anyone recommend I should have a mechanic double check this or ?

1685310067954.jpeg

Big thank you to all, I learned something today. :)

I wish I had more mechanical skills; my dad had them, my old brother had them, but I didn’t really get that gift; and I admire the folks that do have that skill set.

Back