Is the reliable Subaru a myth? A legend from times past?

In my area there is a Subaru on every block. If they weren’t reliable or dependable I think it would be reflected in the numbers I see every day.
Or they just consider it to be a necessary tool and accommodate the necessary upkeep.

My 7 year old Subu with 80K (2.5 n/a motor with CVT) miles has had one sensor fail, otherwise zero mechanical problems

Amsoil fluids since new, and zero wheel bearings as well. Roads are flat with minimal crown here in corn & bean country! It's even only got minimal rust, and near the driver's door from rocks being thrown up. Fun fact, it's RHD too!
Had a 2001 OB for 17 yrs and nothing went wrong, resold it as 17yo for $5,000. I don't do extended OCI (a self defeating venture on long term) changed oil with synthetic from the get go every 5K km changed ATF every 50K km. The trick is regular maintenance with GOOD parts & fluids.

My 7 year old Subu with 80K (2.5 n/a motor with CVT) miles has had one sensor fail, otherwise zero mechanical problems
Pretty low miles for a failure, no? I wouldn't expect anything at such young life.

they’re both printing cash making dated econoboxes

Carlos Ghosn estimated that Nissan would file for bankruptcy by 2022. Renault and Nissan are doing anything but printing cash. They are definitely building dated econoboxes though.

Had a 2001 OB for 17 yrs and nothing went wrong, resold it as 17yo for $5,000. I don't do extended OCI (a self defeating venture on long term) changed oil with synthetic from the get go every 5K km changed ATF every 50K km. The trick is regular maintenance with GOOD parts & fluids.

None of these failures have anything to do with parts quality or fluid quality. We have much more neglected vehicles in the family fleet and this one is by far the biggest POS. I'm not sure that I know anyone (in real life) that has a Subaru anymore. Myself and my friends were all scared away from Subaru after owning WRXs. Loved the car, but it too was a POS.

I have a two year old WRX. Bought it brand new, beat it up, car is still like new. No problems with it whatsoever. Best car I've ever owned and as long as Subaru makes them I will own them. Easy to maintain myself, and insanely fun to drive that I am always excited to get in it. 22K miles and counting.....

I would never judge a cars long term reliability on just the first two years.

We have a 2005 Outback LL Bean with 96,000 miles in the family. In the past two weeks I've replaced:

-Both rear wheel bearings (these were replaced by Subaru under warranty once before)
-Front struts
-Valve cover gaskets
-Rear main seal

It still needs:
-Alternator
-Front driver side axle (both front axles in it are < 5 yrs old, Subaru OEM)
-New driveshaft assembly ($700+ from the dealer. WHY WOULD YOU PUT A CARRIER BEARING IN THE MIDDLE OF A FOUR FOOT LONG DRIVESHAFT!?!?!?!)

I can't imagine what the labor on all of this would have cost if I'd taken it to a shop. It'd probably have been enough to warrant just selling the car as is and moving on.

No head gasket or oil burning issues???

A new outback is gonna be $30k plus with ttl For a base model.

even the significant repairs will be less than the purchase of a new vehicle when you amortize costs over the life of the vehicle.

you are talking about the cost of “convenience” when you mention whether the cost would warrant purchasing a new vehicle. Very different.

We have a 2005 Outback LL Bean with 96,000 miles in the family. In the past two weeks I've replaced:

-Both rear wheel bearings (these were replaced by Subaru under warranty once before)
-Front struts
-Valve cover gaskets
-Rear main seal

It still needs:
-Alternator
-Front driver side axle (both front axles in it are < 5 yrs old, Subaru OEM)
-New driveshaft assembly ($700+ from the dealer. WHY WOULD YOU PUT A CARRIER BEARING IN THE MIDDLE OF A FOUR FOOT LONG DRIVESHAFT!?!?!?!)

I can't imagine what the labor on all of this would have cost if I'd taken it to a shop. It'd probably have been enough to warrant just selling the car as is and moving on.

Reactions: GON
I just can't relate when others share stories of how unreliable their Subaru cars are. My experience has been totally different. We have put over 137,000 miles on my wife's Outback. Much of it has been off road in the steep mountains of central Utah, climbing up to the Skyline Drive. Or on dusty, dirt roads out in the west desert of Utah exploring the old railroad beds.

To date the only repair I have made is replacing a puddle light that burned out. Cost about $15 to replace. Admittedly, another has burned out now and I need to replace it also. CVT is still going strong. The engine still has the original head gaskets. No power steering pump problems. No indication at all of wheel bearings failing. Not even a half axle issue. Absolutely no rust from Utah salted winter roads. It has been one of the most dependable cars I have owned.

Now that I've said that, the CVT will probably fail on my. But for now I can say that, except for the puddle light, all I've put in to my Outback is normal maintenance items.

that article is 6 years old lol.

Volvo has been a dead brand for literally 20 years. The cooler and more exciting they make their vehicles, the less they sell.

Yea, and it's so interesting too. Because Volvo is like the official car of Sweden. They love them at home. Almost as popular as a Subaru in Colorado. Or Washington. Or at an REI.

Subarus have the highest resale value, and the Impreza has the highest retained value of any vehicle. That is the marketplace doing the talking. There is a 2015 Crosstrek owner by the way who plans to cross the one million mile mark this month. Both models are better or much better than average reliability.
One dealership in New Hampshire has a 300,000 mile club.

Impreza is the top rated compact car AWD or not, Crosstrek the top compact SUV, Legacy the top rated sedan, Forester the top rated SUV under $35K, Outback the top rated SUV $35K-$50K. The only one not #1, is Ascent for 3-row SUV but still a recommended model. That is practically their whole car lineup sitting at the #1 spot in their respective categories. You have to consider price categories, else everyone should just be driving a Toyota Land Cruiser.

Back