Is SuperTech an Off-Brand Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
PQIA had it tested and looks like a good oil...6k oil changes would be a breeze

i cant believe they want 3750 oci...honda says 10k is ok in normal conditions

I have a 2009 Subaru Forester Limited non turbo. The turbos and the non turbos all call per manufacture a 3750 oil change. They don't elaborate on their monthly duty cycle but thats the mileage they require. They both use the same engines a 2.5l boxer engine. In the late past the Subaru's were known for their piston slap but I believe they fixed that with this new model design engines.

Originally Posted By: chet2
i cant believe they want 3750 oci...honda says 10k is ok in normal conditions

Read what they consider "normal conditions" in the owners manual. Then look at what they consider severe conditons. Most normal driving usually qualifies as severe.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
yep, worked great in my vehicles for 3-4k OCIs, I'd generally alternate between the cheap ST and PYB-primarily "just for kicks" give the engine something new :)

Though WPP does distribute the oil in my locale, I find it interesting that the QS quarts and "ST" Synthetic quarts are both "clear" or translucnet
wink.gif

Something has me thinking they are/may be related.....BUT the QS bottle didn't have the WPP marking.....:p But the bottles are like the exact same design.

I see where you are coming from. SOPUS used to make some ST oil but I guess they were outbid by WPP. If not, I wonder why SOPUS stop producing oil for ST?

In the DFW Metroplex, Supertech Full Synthetic of all grades are made by Speciality Oil Company in Houston, Texas. This company is a subsidary of SOPUS based also in Houston, Texas which makes Shell, Pennzoil, and Quakerstate products. The only difference in the Supertech is a slightly weaker additive package, but it is still identical to Pennzoil Platinum and Quakerstate Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: IdaCrue

Most normal driving usually qualifies as severe.
smirk2.gif
lol.gif

I would agree with the Quoted Statement

Not sure if it is still Relevant, i hear at least 4000 miles is ok almost always

maybe longer

Looking in Owners Manual, it has List of "Extreme Circumstances," one of which lists "Stop-and-Go Driving."

Rule of thumb, going by Old Oil Change Bible:

a. If you Stop at a Light, it is "Extreme Driving" - Normal conditions would be you cruise on highway, no application of Brakes with which to cause Wear
lol.gif

b. If you do drive in Extreme Circumstances, including but not limited to coming to a full stop and then taking off at a ligt, then a 3000 Mile Oil Change is recommended. As per Manufacturer of most cars, incl. Ford (And Chevy... who -didnt- recommend a 3000 mile OCI before Synthetics came about mainstream in more than a Corvette)

But why should we trust those that made our cars. We know better
crackmeup2.gif

So if Super tech is made by Exxon Mobil in some parts of the country, does that mean Super Tech Synthetic is actually a step sister of Mobil 1 with pretty much the same base stocks?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
So if Super tech is made by Exxon Mobil in some parts of the country, does that mean Super Tech Synthetic is actually a step sister of Mobil 1 with pretty much the same base stocks?

I would compare it more to their Exxon Superflo product. The oil that you can buy sometimes after rebate for a buck a quart.

Still fine for most drivers..

Originally Posted By: HomerJ5w40

But why should we trust those that made our cars. We know better
crackmeup2.gif

UOA data shows that under normal driving (not sub freezing, no frequent short trips) any oil is good for 5k EASY in a NA car w/o disi. Tell me which manufacturer is recommending 3K severe OCI on a NA pass car?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
yep, worked great in my vehicles for 3-4k OCIs, I'd generally alternate between the cheap ST and PYB-primarily "just for kicks" give the engine something new :)

Though WPP does distribute the oil in my locale, I find it interesting that the QS quarts and "ST" Synthetic quarts are both "clear" or translucnet
wink.gif

Something has me thinking they are/may be related.....BUT the QS bottle didn't have the WPP marking.....:p But the bottles are like the exact same design.

The clear Supertech bottles are Mag 1 bottles relabeled. Both products are blended by WPP.

http://mag1.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=ebc23d55-587b-45bd-9904-9f2fa89c0c59

In my area, Walmarts have both WPP and XOM products on the shelf. Its interesting that the 1 qt bottles of 5w20 are made by WPP, but the 5 qt jugs are made by XOM.

You people up north are lucky. I wish the local area here were bottled by XOM. I would be all over it and use without hesitation. MC5k is my choice for now.

Probably a decent oil. A name brand always? I don't know-this month yes but, next month, who knows. I'm not really interested in using it as I keeep my vehicles for 150,000 miles or so.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably a decent oil. A name brand always? I don't know-this month yes but, next month, who knows. I'm not really interested in using it as I keeep my vehicles for 150,000 miles or so.

So are you implying SuperTech will not hold up over the long run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back