is shell the only one with a cj-4 & sn oil out the

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jake88
Most light-duty OEMs are recommending ILSAC oils bearing the API Starburst (or their own OEM specification in other cases). You'll never see them recommend any specific API category because the premise of the system is that it is backwards compatible.

Technically, they rarely refer to GF-4 or GF-5 - you're right. They'll usually say something to the effect of SM or better and bearing the API Starburst, as you point out. However, pointing out SL or better or SM or better is very commonplace. Pointing out GF-4 or better or GF-5 or better is pretty much unheard of because finding the ILSAC category on a bottle of oil is harder to find than the API service category.

Quote:
Oh, more questions, Richard. How long were pre-CJ-4 lubes available in your neck of the woods, and are they still available, and what pre-CJ-4 certifications were recently available or still are available? Like I said, up here, Imperial Oil got rid of CI-4+ and earlier stuff so fast, I couldn't believe it. Oddly enough, the same company took the absolute longest in rolling out SN/GF-5 lubes and finally has some M1 0w-40 SN out on the shelves.

I didn't bother importing CJ-4 until the sulfur levels were reduced from 2000 ppm to 200 ppm (and actually run between 50 and 100 now). It is a slow mover, but on the rise. Most of my diesel sales is CI-4, as most of the trucks are from the 90's, and ag equipment is just now coming on line with modern engines. Only a dozen or so trucks here that need Ad Blue.

Petronas tries to convince people to use CF-4, Mobil emphasizes CG-4.

Okay, that makes more sense then, Richard, with respect to cats and ZDDP levels. Finding something older than CJ-4 up here is very, very difficult. I'd really have to do some serious hunting to find something like that. The only possibility would be the Co-op and possibly Petro-Canada, and then only at the distribution centre and if I get lucky. Also, anything CJ-4/S? will be SM or higher.

The older stuff I saw on a Co-op shelf a couple years back could have been old stock, for that matter. PC could also still just have old data sheets up like Imperial Oil did for a while. Their sheets outlasted their product stock by at least two years.

Imperial Oil really pushes the backward compatibility of the CJ-4 specification for diesel equipment here, especially the agricultural equipment, since Imperial Oil has a pretty big presence in rural areas. When CJ-4 was introduced, Imperial Oil was transitioning Esso products into Mobil products, so the old stuff disappeared in one heck of a hurry. In rural areas, Petro-Canada and Co-op stuff is relatively common, due to distributors being there. Shell's distributor network in this part of the country was cut to the bone years ago, and Chevron stuff is hard to find outside the cities.

Carefull guys!1:an oil can be sn andnot meet gf-5
2:and oil that is sn andhave energy conserving written in the api logois also a gf-5.yep not much written but energyconserving means a lot.

yvon_la: That's been my point all along.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back