Is SAAB 95 a sludge prone car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drived a saab 95 aero today, very fun car!! Seriously considering add it to my wishlist. However, I am kind of scared by the sludge problem.
I am wondering (1) is this sludge problem really prevalent among recent saabs? (2) IF I am unlucky to get a partially sludged saab, will auto-rx cure it?

Allow me to respond as leader of the SAAB 9-5 Sludge Paranoia Cult. This is all worst case but it's better than riding along blissfully unaware until you see that rod fly through the hood.
laugh.gif
Yes, the 9-5 CAN be a sludge prone car. Depending on the year. For the 9-5, 99-03 are the key years while on the 9-3, the 99 Viggen and 2000-2002 all trim levels are ones to wach for. The Aero, however, is LESS sludge prone than the base 2.3l turbo. Still, it would be good to know the car's service history. If anything other than synth was used, I'd be willing to bet that the oil pickup screen is at least partially clogged.

How many miles on this car? There ARE fixes for the problem. Much of the problem stems from an overworked, poorly designed PCV system. SAAB recently released a 6th version of the update kit for this and seems to have finally gotten it right according to independent testing. Steer away from the car if you see smoke on startup, excessive varnish on the dipstick, or any odd, loud engine noises.

Unless the car is high mileage, it's probably not too late to stem the damage. I would take it to a mechanic and have the oil pressure tested, along with dropping the pan to clean the pickup screen AND installing the PCV update kit. The kit is only $50. If you are getting the car at a decent price, it is WELL worth it. The 9-5 AERO is a spectacular car and can be upgraded to make it a real screamer....if that's your thing. There's a poster on here who thinks I am crazy for bringing all this up b/c his personal 9-5 seems okay. However, as a moderator for one of the biggest saab forums on the net, I can tell you PLENTY of folks have had issues. But they aren't that hard to get over and when you do, you have a great car.

As for arx, yes, I used it for two clean cycles and now run it for maint. It cleaned pretty well but unfortunately, deteriorated rubber hose is one of the things that clogs the pickup screen and even arx can't dissolve that.

PLEASE, don't let me scare you away from a great car. But it'd be dishonest for me to tell you everything's fine. Sure, some people sail along troublefree. But some don't....

Quote:

I test drived a saab 95 aero today, very fun car!! Seriously considering add it to my wishlist. However, I am kind of scared by the sludge problem.
I am wondering (1) is this sludge problem really prevalent among recent saabs? (2) IF I am unlucky to get a partially sludged saab, will auto-rx cure it?

Was it a new one, or a used one? I have an '03 Aero, and agree it's very fun
smile.gif

The short answer is yes, the 4 cylinder 9-5 models have had some sludge "issues". Saab has granted an engine sludge warranty on the 99-03 models (I think) to 8 years, unlimited miles - of course with the requirement that you can document oil changes in accordance with the owner's manual.

The keys to avoiding sludge (my opinion here) is to use only full synthetic oils, preferably xW-40 weights, and change every 5k. Saab originally spec'd semi-synthetic 5W-30 for this car, longer intervals. I believe those recommendations led to many of the sludge problems in the earlier cars.

The good news is that the turbo in the Aero models seems to have a better reliability record than the "light pressure" turbo in the lesser models.

Auto-RX should be effective at removing some sludge. However, if the sludge has advanced to a point that there's oil pressure problems resulting in damage to critical parts, it may be too late.

If you'd like to do more research, I suggest the 9-5 board at www.saabnet.com, and also the info posted on http://www.andrewsofprinceton.com/service/index.cfm

jeff

I'll forgive you for not mentioning the 9-5 workshop forum at saabcentral...
grin.gif
Chuck Andrews at Andrews of Princeton is the man. Reading his articles will get you up to date without the speculation that comes with forum postings.

greepjp, I'd still get the latest update kit even with short interval oil changes. Chuck likes it.
grin.gif

Good news is from 2003 on they are fine cars without a worry. Just run a 40 wt. I'd buy another without a second thought. Especially the wagons. They are #@$%! useful.

In NEPA, you're in the Heartland. Me, I'm sometimes the only SAAB I see for a day or two.

Regardless, SAABs are extremely fun to drive. Fast with a big geek factor.

SAAB sludgers:

2.0L 4 turbo 2000-02 9-3 hatchback,2000-03 9-3 convertible. 82,000 in US. New engine warranty = 8 years/unlimited mileage
2.3L 4 turbo 1999-2003 Saab 9-5,1999 9-3 Viggen. 68,000 in US. New engine warranty 8 years/unlimited mileage

Quote:

SAAB sludgers:

2.0L 4 turbo 2000-02 9-3 hatchback,2000-03 9-3 convertible. 82,000 in US. New engine warranty = 8 years/unlimited mileage
2.3L 4 turbo 1999-2003 Saab 9-5,1999 9-3 Viggen. 68,000 in US. New engine warranty 8 years/unlimited mileage

Yep, posted that already. And giving birth through a nostril seems to be an easier feat than getting saab to pay for a new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back