Is Redline Good For Your Car's Engine? Italian Tune Up

I bought a used BMW 320i in 1983. Car was in great shape but it had pinging under load. I was using 91 octane gas. The pinging wouldn't go away. I was then transferred from Charleston, SC, to San Diego via Washington, DC. I made it to San Diego (from DC) in 3 days without driving much after dark. The trip included a couple of stints above 100mph!! The pinging was gone by the time I reached San Diego.

Sis took her in town only driven Corolla to have the emissions test done...failed...I took the car, filled the gas tank the Top Tier 87 (just as she does), added a double dose of Chevron Techron then took it out on the highway getting to some sustained 80MPH stints and some varied but highway drive for about a half hour...I brought her car to the test facility and it fully passed...

I did tell my sister she needs to take her car out on the highway once in awhile instead of only driving it around town...

Bill

I thought this was going to be about Redline oil. Anyway, if you redline often, you will find that your engine will fit loosely in a 5 gallon bucket.
I used to drive that way all the time. Never had that happen with an engine but I've had rear end parts (spider gears, ring and pinion) and up in a bucket.

Back