Is Red Line MTL 70W80 ok to use in an NV4500 manual transmission?

Since we have no real empirical data to support those anecdotal comments, the continuing comments of trading wear for shift feel is preposterous. Formulators can formulate an MTF that can provide good wear control AND shift performance in one fluid.
I am willing to agree with that statement, that shift feel and wear protection can both be available... and it appears (to me) to be largely due to additives. If it were just viscosity, perhaps less so.... but having said this, multigrade lubricants do give differnt cold temp viscosities versus high temp viscosities... and you could have cold shift benefits and running-hot higher viscosities.
I don't sell anything here on BITOG, and I am not trying to convince you to use any one fluid. So please make your decisions based on tribological data, not anecdotal comments, since anecdotal comments have no basis in empirical, laboratory testing.

I'm sticking, at this point in time, with the OEM, as-delivered lubricant... but I would consider (among others) Redline MTL in future.
I believe your questions and comments have been answered by many people here so unless you have a new question or comment (not previously submitted), this thread has the potential of being closed.
Actually, the two people are you, MolaKule, and 930.Engineering... And yes, we don't want to keep playing a broken record... fair enough... and you as a Moderator / Staff have the right to close down discussion... But I think it'd be fair to say that no rules of etiquette have been broken here, and that best-efforts on our respective parts to argue our points of view have been applied. I don't think talk about closing down the thread is warranted.

Thank you both for taking the time to formulate well-considered answers. I guess I agree to disagree that anecdotal observations of evident wear or spooge build-up in sumps and ledges is invalid... Those findings are pretty old, I would agree, and who-knows... formulations could have been optimized since.

Over and out!

Last edited:
Actually, the two people are you, MolaKule, and 930.Engineering... And yes, we don't want to keep playing a broken record... fair enough... and you as a Moderator / Staff have the right to close down discussion... But I think it'd be fair to say that no rules of etiquette have been broken here, and that best-efforts on our respective parts to argue our points of view have been applied. I don't think talk about closing down the thread is warranted.

Thank you both for taking the time to formulate well-considered answers. I guess I agree to disagree that anecdotal observations of evident wear or spooge build-up in sumps and ledges is invalid... Those findings are pretty old, I would agree, and who-knows... formulations could have been optimized since.

Over and out!
The thread is still open for new comments or suggestions and I never stated that a rule of behavior or etiquette was violated. But you have to admit that repeating the same theme and sentences over and over accomplishes nothing, especially when the questions have been answered and the comments have been addressed multiple times. My point was simply that anecdotal comments without any real data or any background or context accomplishes nothing.

There are many good aftermarket MTF's available out there. However, in order to find a suitable replacement, we need to make educated decisions based on technical data, something anecdotal comments do not provide.

Redline says "75W90NS GL-5 GEAR OIL."
Where in any of the Redline literature does it say to use the 75W90NS, a 15 cSt GL5 in an NV4500?

The OP thinks the MTF required is a 12 cSt MTF similar to Redline MT-85, although he hasn't had the OEM fluid analyzed for viscosity.

If one uses the application finder on redlineoil.com for a 1990 W350 with a stick shift transmission, that application finder says 75W90NS for the manual tranny oil. That’s probably where Marcozi got the idea for what Red Line says to use(?).

If one uses the application finder on redlineoil.com for a 1990 W350 with a stick shift transmission, that application finder says 75W90NS for the manual tranny oil. That’s probably where Marcozi got the idea for what Red Line says to use(?).
Thanks bulwnkl. Then Redline has a problem with their cross references.

When you go to the 75W90NS literature nowhere does it list that product for that NV4500 transmission.

Thanks bulwnkl. Then Redline has a problem with their cross references.

When you go to the 75W90NS literature nowhere does it list that product for that Ford transmission.
the 1990 didnt come with the NV4500, it was retrofitted if you read the opening posts. so use something else to get the right application reference from redline.

Edit: quoted wrong post. but you get idea?

I did read the thread, and read that the NV4500 did not come in this vehicle from the factory.
That is something I intended to highlight with my post, but I did not explicitly say it.

IOW, _IF_ Marcozi used the product finder in order to come up with his posted info, he erred in not realizing that the factory tranny was not the NV4500.

What fluid was used that caused the failure and what exactly was the failure?
NV4500 as I understand was designed with carbon fiber synchros that required a synthetic fluid.

The fifth gear sometimes falls off.

I’ll tell you, the NV4500HD in my Ram with 265k really shifts nice with the right fluid.

Back