Is Pennzoil Ultra not LSPI friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennzoil Ultra is not LSPI-friendly. Too much Ca is the indicator we see. The proof is the lack of SN+ or dexos1 Gen2 specifications.
It appears Pennzoil Platinum, with its high boron formula it has now, and all the spec certifications that the Ultra now lacks, is the true replacement for the older Ultra. I will bet pistons will be about as clean with the high-boron Pennzoil Platinum as it was with Ultra. Can't be 'sure' about that, but it appears very likely.

If it's not on the website then, I guess it has no new reformulation.

So non-turbocharged engines should not be affected if/when it's reformulated; the current Ultra would get the same results as a new LSPI friendly one right?

If they are coming out with a new one, we can expect a clearance sale on their current stock I guess.

Originally Posted by BossMoss
So non-turbocharged engines should not be affected if/when it's reformulated; the current Ultra would get the same results as a new LSPI friendly one right?

I don't think Pennzoil will continue their Ultra. The fact that they still haven't updated the formula for SN+ and dexos1 Gen2 seems to say that.
If Ultra was updated to the current specs like about every other oil in existence, then we don't know if the clean piston attribute is or is not the same as the old one, and how it compares to Pennzoil Platinum or any other syn out there. .... We don't know what Pennzoil will do yet. They aren't saying.

I am not sure about the future of Ultra. First, I have never seen it on shelves in my neck of the woods. It can be had online though.

Nobody has really come out and proved that Ultra is better than Platinum. PP is a excellent product in and of its own and is readily available everywhere.

Not so long ago Pennzoil stated they had no plans of dropping Ultra. I have my doubts. According to their website it is still their top of the line product. I have a feeling in the not so distant future Ultra will be no more.

It's another product that is simply not needed. Pennzoil has done an awful job of articulating/marketing WHY Ultra is somehow better than PP.

I know a group of guys with Challengers. They use the 0W40 PUP SRT. It's what is recommended. I believe that SRT is a different version.

They have endorsement deals with ferarri and Maserati with Ultra. Those sort of deals last many years. I don't see Pennzoil dropping Ultra.

Originally Posted by Onetor
I know a group of guys with Challengers. They use the 0W40 PUP SRT. It's what is recommended. I believe that SRT is a different version.

That, and the Ferrari endorsements or whatever, are just the 0w40 version. That one may stick around.
Or, the SRT guys will just have the Mopar (dealership) branded oil which is really the Ultra 0w40. I could also see the Euro 0w40 (non-SRT, non-Ultra) 0w40 being the "new" recomendation for SRT engines in the future. ..... in any case, the "Ultra" name does not have to stick around, and the 0w20,5w20,5w30 SN products can go away for sure.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I am not sure about the future of Ultra. First, I have never seen it on shelves in my neck of the woods. It can be had online though.

Nobody has really come out and proved that Ultra is better than Platinum. PP is a excellent product in and of its own and is readily available everywhere.

It seems Pennzoil claims it is...

Originally Posted by tenderloin

No, Pennzoil no longer has their Piston Cleanliness comparison pictures. Not since the dexos1 Gen2 re-formulation of Pennzoil Platinum (not Ultra of course). They dropped the claim.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by tenderloin

No, Pennzoil no longer has their Piston Cleanliness comparison pictures. Not since the dexos1 Gen2 re-formulation of Pennzoil Platinum (not Ultra of course). They dropped the claim.

So, what do you conclude? That Platinum right now is just as good or better than Ultra?

Should I spend the extra $ on Ultra?

So, what do you conclude? That Platinum right now is just as good or better than Ultra?Should I spend the extra $ on Ultra?
Ultra used to be better than Platinum in piston cleanliness, and Pennzoil showed comparison pictures/graphs to show it.
I think the latest Pennzoil Platinum PP (SN+ and dexos1 Gen2 flavors) is just as good as the old Pennzoil Ultra SN for piston cleanliness these days, in 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30 SN grades. (Not talking about the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 here.)
Current PP has high boron, higher than before, which I think gets the credit for piston cleaning. I can't be absolutely certain unless actual tests were revealed though.

So, what do you conclude? That Platinum right now is just as good or better than Ultra?Should I spend the extra $ on Ultra?
Ultra used to be better than Platinum in piston cleanliness, and Pennzoil showed comparison pictures/graphs to show it.
I think the latest Pennzoil Platinum PP (SN+ and dexos1 Gen2 flavors) is just as good as the old Pennzoil Ultra SN for piston cleanliness these days, in 0w20, 5w20, and 5w30 SN grades. (Not talking about the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 here.)
Current PP has high boron, higher than before, which I think gets the credit for piston cleaning. I can't be absolutely certain unless actual tests were revealed though.

Quite interesting. What a dilemma to have for their marketing team. "The back-up is better than the starter."

"We can't outright say it's better because then no one will want to buy a higher priced, lower quality juice."

What do you make of the PP Euro? Should be no problem to use that i like a Mustang?

Last edited:

Quite interesting. What a dilemma to have for their marketing team. "The back-up is better than the starter."
"We can't outright say it's better because then no one will want to buy a higher priced, lower quality juice."
What do you make of the PP Euro? Should be no problem to use that i like a Mustang?

There was also some kind of weirdness with Pennzoil Gold, some of us on here felt that the some of the specs SOPUS published for its 5W30 d1G2 version could be argued to be superior than those for PP 5W30 d1G2...doesn't mean that it's a better actual OIL, but I was inspired to try it in my FXT despite it being a blend. It wasn't long afterwards that I wasn't able to find it at Walmart anymore, although somebody on here reported that it was common to find it at quickie oil change places.
I will also report a completely unscientific and probably coincidental bit of info...I ran some Subaru intake valve cleaner using their special "tool" through a vacuum line just before I changed the Gold out and my car absolutely belched white/grey smoke. I have done that three other times with only modest amounts of smoke...again, probably meaningless, but of course I was wondering if it was due to the Gold blend oil (I usually run M1 5W30). Just my two millicents worth...

Originally Posted by Onetor

That, and the Ferrari endorsements or whatever, are just the 0w40 version. That one may stick around.
Or, the SRT guys will just have the Mopar (dealership) branded oil which is really the Ultra 0w40. I could also see the Euro 0w40 (non-SRT, non-Ultra) 0w40 being the "new" recomendation for SRT engines in the future. ..... in any case, the "Ultra" name does not have to stick around, and the 0w20,5w20,5w30 SN products can go away for sure.

Ferrari emblem is on the SHU 5w-40 last time i did check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back