Is Pennzoil Platinum enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to PP! I've had it in my Honda for about 500 miles now, and I'm liking the results so far. Keep in mind I'm a DIY noob and my anecdotal observations are just that,

When I first filled the car with PP, starts sounded a little rattly (for lack of a better term,) but now they are much smoother and quieter. I've also been checking the dipstick twice a week to see if any burnoff has occured. None so far, and the oil on the dipstick has darkened considerably, so I'm assuming the add pack is doing its cleaning thang.

What is the difference in Platinum and Ultra add packs? Different ingredients, or just different ratios of the same ingredients? I was originally thinking of running PU for my next OCI, but I might just go with PP again - Pep Boys has a 5 gallon jug/P1 deal for $27.99 w/rewards card, $24.99 if you buy a second combo.

Originally Posted By: V8man
Maybe auto-rx does not clean up junk in the Valvetrain, it sometimes may stop oil leaks or oil burning or maybe it doesn't. But this product definetly cleans up ring packs, will Pennzoil Platinum or other oil additives clean up the ring packs, I have not seen any threads that show before and after compression results.I might think they will, meaning Pennzoil Platinum and these other oil additives, but so far I have only seen proof of ring pack cleaning from 4 auto-rx threads.

Why are the ring packs so hard to clean for most motor oils, but is able to be tackled by a blend of esters like auto-rx? Are ester based synthetic oils like Redline and Motul 300V incapable of cleaning the ring packs effectively?

As a side note, here's a few cleaning brews I have tried (no idea how well they worked though):

Mobil 1 0w-40 + 1 quart of Rislone
Mobil 1 0w-40 + 16-20oz of Kreen
Rotella T6 5w-40 + 1 Quart of Rislone

Last edited:
Darkfire if I knew 100% that Pennzoil Platinum would do a good enough job cleaning the inside of an engine (except for those engines that were too dirty and too far gone to be cleaned) I would use Pennzoil Platinum and nothing else.

Now maybe MMO or Kreen or Neutra added to a good cleaning oil like Pennzoil Platinum will work even better.

But again, if a motor oil can clean well enough, I would just use that motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back