Is new GC ok for turbocharged motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call it paranoia setting in but after reading of several instances of bearing failures in 2.0L Mitsubishi Evolution 4g63's, I must ask if the new German made 0W30 is safe for turbocharged motors and their operating temps.

An A3 rated Grp IV/V syn is about as good as you can do.

Consider redline if you have such a high performance engine and really want the best.

I actually use M1 0w-40 in the 94 3000GT VR-4.

Mitsu recommends M1 10w-30 for the car but my Evolution just tends to eat that oil up. The M1 seemed to break down pretty quickly. I've been running the new GC 0w-30 for the summer, about 9000 miles now and winter is coming to Texas soon. That doesn't mean to cold of temps but nevertheless I'm wondering if I should keep the GC in there...

Assuming no past UOAs to back up a longer OCI, I would change the oil now and do a UOA to see how it did. 9k miles is a pretty good while for any oil in a turbocharged application IMHO. I assume you have fun while driving the car?
smile.gif
GC 0W30 is a good oil.

Let your engine cool down a couple of minutes at low rpm driving (or idle) after "spirited driving". Almost any oil (at least grp. II/III/IV/V) can cope with operating temperature in a turbo charged engine. The problem is heat soak at stop if you don't let it cool down properly..

Quote:

Assuming no past UOAs to back up a longer OCI, I would change the oil now and do a UOA to see how it did. 9k miles is a pretty good while for any oil in a turbocharged application IMHO. I assume you have fun while driving the car?
smile.gif
GC 0W30 is a good oil.

Holy cow I must have been tired when typing
smile.gif
I had meant to mention that I have been running this for 9000 miles now over ther period of 3 oil changes. I'll be sending a sample off to Blackstone after the end of this batch. Should have me at 89k miles on the oem motor, will be interesting...

Quote:

Let your engine cool down a couple of minutes at low rpm driving (or idle) after "spirited driving". Almost any oil (at least grp. II/III/IV/V) can cope with operating temperature in a turbo charged engine. The problem is heat soak at stop if you don't let it cool down properly..

Definitely agree with you
smile.gif
The car has had a turbo timer on it since day one pretty much.

Even here at Fenn Valley Vineyard, we "cool down" the turbo diesel tractor (Ford TN95) before shutting off the motor after it has been run fairly hard.

I don't think 0W-30 GC will pose any problem with your car. I has a fairly high Viscosity Index for the 30 part.

And
welcome.gif
to the forums!!

Darth-Sidious.jpg

Quote:

Holy cow I must have been tired when typing
smile.gif
I had meant to mention that I have been running this for 9000 miles now over ther period of 3 oil changes. I'll be sending a sample off to Blackstone after the end of this batch. Should have me at 89k miles on the oem motor, will be interesting...

So you're running 3,000 mile OCI's with GC? I think you will find that you can easily extend that out to 5,000 miles if not longer.

BTW, I'm running GC in my 2005 STi year-round. Here's my latest UOA with 5,800 miles on the GC:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB3&Number=250380

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back