Is MSO2 Liquid Moly OK in DIG NA engines

I plan on driving my 2016 Honda CR-V for a very long time, and in the past saw here on BITOG a post about someone who used Liquid Molly added to every other oil change in his many OPE and had many OPE with a lot of hours on them and no problems. And therefore have been thinking about adding some to the oil in my Honda 2.4 L direct injected gas normally aspirated engine. However even though it is not turbo charged, it is a fairly high compression engine and ran very lean, so I am still somewhat concerned about being sure to not use any additive that may promote LSPI

1) The reason I ask is because I was wondering if Moly is one of the additives that are being left out of Dexos 1 Generation 2 oil because it may cause LSPI? I do not know the answer to this.

2) Is Liquid Moly (I assume it is actually short for Molybdenum) safe to use in the oil of my 2.4 L engine?

3) For others who have TCDI (turbo charged direct injected) gas engines, is it safe to use in the oil.

4) How much (preferably in ml, I have 100 ml graduated cylinders) should I add to a 4.5 quart sump, if it is safe to use?

5) If it is OK to use, should I use it every oil change, or only every other?

BTW, I have added 4.5 mL of RedLine SL-1 per gallon of gasoline before each fill up since I bought this vehicle to keep the injectors clean, and also it is an upper cylinder lubricant, and probably a good lube for the fuel pumps. The SL-1 bottle use to say recommended dose of 4.5 ml per gallon, but it no longer says that. I read somewhere that the upper cylinder lube properties of SL-1 improve gas millage enough to pay for the cost of buying it. And it has a lot of PEA that should keep the injectors clean. Besides cost, the downside of using it is that it is very hydroscopic, I store a plastic 100 ml graduated cylinder upside down in several plastic bags and SL-1 attracts moisture out of the air enough that a mix of water and SL-1 from the little that remains in the cylinder builds up in the plastic bags. And it is very slippery to get on your hands, so it is a good idea to wear disposable gloves.

Thanks for any replies.

As far as I know, moly is left out because it is expensive not because it is causing lspi. iirc, moly may even reduce lspi ... Bottom line moly is good!

As an example, more expensive oils like Amsoil and Red Line have lots of moly. Toyota oil which is another expensive oil has or used to have lots of moly.

I'm not sure if I add moly myself but don't be afraid of moly
shocked2.gif

1) The reason I ask is because I was wondering if Moly is one of the additives that are being left out of Dexos 1 Generation 2 oil because it may cause LSPI? I do not know the answer to this.

Engine oil does not need extra additives. They are already in the oil. Your vehicle is not an OPE.

Redline S-L1 does not need to be used on a regular schedule. If you use Top Tier gas (google it) you won't need to use S-L1 at all.

Dave at Redline explained how moly and phosphorus and a few other things in their high performance oil kept lpsi from being an issue. You could just use redline 0w20 and then you could avoid having to worry about mos2. I think this would be the better decisions but it's your money and vehicle so I will let you choose your own methods.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I plan on driving my 2016 Honda CR-V for a very long time, and in the past saw here on BITOG a post about someone who used Liquid Molly added to every other oil change in his many OPE and had many OPE with a lot of hours on them and no problems. And therefore have been thinking about adding some to the oil in my Honda 2.4 L direct injected gas normally aspirated engine. However even though it is not turbo charged, it is a fairly high compression engine and ran very lean, so I am still somewhat concerned about being sure to not use any additive that may promote LSPI

2) Is Liquid Moly (I assume it is actually short for Molybdenum) safe to use in the oil of my 2.4 L engine?

3) For others who have TCDI (turbo charged direct injected) gas engines, is it safe to use in the oil.

4) How much (preferably in ml, I have 100 ml graduated cylinders) should I add to a 4.5 quart sump, if it is safe to use?

BTW, I have added 4.5 mL of RedLine SL-1 per gallon of gasoline before each fill up since I bought this vehicle to keep the injectors clean, and also it is an upper cylinder lubricant, and probably a good lube for the fuel pumps. The SL-1 bottle use to say recommended dose of 4.5 ml per gallon, but it no longer says that. I read somewhere that the upper cylinder lube properties of SL-1 improve gas millage enough to pay for the cost of buying it. And it has a lot of PEA that should keep the injectors clean. Besides cost, the downside of using it is that it is very hydroscopic, I store a plastic 100 ml graduated cylinder upside down in several plastic bags and SL-1 attracts moisture out of the air enough that a mix of water and SL-1 from the little that remains in the cylinder builds up in the plastic bags. And it is very slippery to get on your hands, so it is a good idea to wear disposable gloves.

Thanks for any replies.

Use Mobil1 Extended Performance, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline. They will do good. Oils already have enough additives.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Engine oil does not need extra additives. They are already in the oil. Your vehicle is not an OPE.

Redline S-L1 does not need to be used on a regular schedule. If you use Top Tier gas (google it) you won't need to use S-L1 at all.

Regular gas doesn't clean direct injection unless it has pea. Though pea doesn't get a complete cleaning on ivd, there isn't anything out there better to clean a entire fuel system than pea.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

Thanks for any replies.

Not going to happen. Even if its is turbo, LSPI is mostly issue among small displacement engines such as 1.0-16ltr, and not all of them.

Used Mos2 and later down the road LM Ceratec with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 in my Hyundai Accent GDi.Had no issues with that little car til the cat clogged at 199,930. Wouldn't go over 4mph. Sold it to Honda on trade for 2050.00 . One of the techs gutted the cat, put new fuel pump in it and its still on the road.

Oh ya, they are removing additives left right and center because of cost, and people on here who want to pay 10 dollars a jug and willing to go through hassle if that 10 dollar jug came with a 10 cent rebate go trough the hassle to get that 10 cents a year later. People give me this line about oil coming perfectly fine from the factory can go fly a kite. I'm going to use archoil additive and have for years no issues only benefits. And adds the added friction modifiers that are now not in it because of cheapskates.

I've thought about trying MOS2 since high moly oils have a rep of being smooth and quiet. I noticed the newest uoa of PPHM I saw has the moly cut in half. I wonder if the current QSUD still has the almost 200ppm of moly? I read here somewhere where a member used MOS2 and it settled at the very bottom of the oil pan like silt. They posted pictures and everything. That post has always made me feel iffy about using it.

Originally Posted by domer10

Oh ya, they are removing additives left right and center because of cost, ...People give me this line about oil coming perfectly fine from the factory can go fly a kite...

And pray tell what additives are they leaving out and what is not in finished lubricants that need Third Party Additives added?

Originally Posted by domer10

Oh ya, they are removing additives left right and center because of cost, and people on here who want to pay 10 dollars a jug and willing to go through hassle if that 10 dollar jug came with a 10 cent rebate go trough the hassle to get that 10 cents a year later. People give me this line about oil coming perfectly fine from the factory can go fly a kite. I'm going to use archoil additive and have for years no issues only benefits. And adds the added friction modifiers that are now not in it because of cheapskates.

What are the benefits?

MoS2 improved quietness and smoothness in my vehicle, covering two consecutive OCIs. Wanted to use it again last week - when I changed the oil,, but can't find it in the current basement that's undergoing a remodel.

Once SP / GF6 gets rolling, I may not buy it anymore. All depends on Moly counts inside these new formulas. Right now, forum gossip says there will be less Moly and Boron used

Never seen any MoS2 oil drain bucket separation. My buckets sit and drain overnight. Reason: I want my scalding hot oil filter to be cool again, before removing it.

I gave the MoS2 a shot a few changes back, worked "fine" in meaning - didn't blow up my engine, didn't notice anything negative, and didn't notice anything odd about the oil sample I pulled in terms of separation after it sat in the sample container over night to cool before mailing it. But on the flip side, I certainly didn't note anything overtly positive about it. It was about $7 so not a huge money sink. I think the issue someone talked about was in a car that wasn't driven daily/sat for a period of time. It does turn the oil a more grey color.

Frankly, I think all oil additives are at best, unnecessary wastes of money, and at worst could actually cause harm.

Modern oil is very good, but furthermore it is an engineered product. It's not just thrown together at random, it's precisely made and balanced for a specific purpose.

With the exception of some edge cases, you do not need an oil additive. The oil itself already has everything you need. MOS2 probably wont hurt anything, but it also won't help, either.

Last edited:
Back