Is "moonroof" an outdated term?

Has any car maker in the last ten years even sold a car with a steel sliding roof, and not one made of glass? When moonroofs first came out in the 80s?, it was pretty cool to have the open feeling of a glass panel when driving in the rain or during the winter. Now it's pretty much standard.

Not really, most everything now is a moonroof

Sunroof = metal panel

Moonroof = glass panel
This is correct. But any longer, the term Moonroof, is rarely used. And Sunroof is used to describe what us old farts would call a moonroof.

Not a battle worth fighting, since really, moonroof and sunroof were both names made up for marketing purposes. Why should we care?

For future reference, which automotive authority printed the official definition? Id love to link to it for future discussion.

Regardless of what anyone here calls it, sellers of used cars use both terms, and are often forced to choose one term.
In using an online service to shop for a car you will get more results if you ask for both.

I do not believe Ive ever seen a car from the factory with a metal openable panel, and I go out of my way to get sunroofs on everything even my trucks.

Few people want the sun beating down on the top of their head, so they quit calling it a sunroof.

I do not believe Ive ever seen a car from the factory with a metal openable panel, and I go out of my way to get sunroofs on everything even my trucks.
You must lead a very sheltered life....despite having a sunroof ;)

Seriously tho, even my 88 BMW has one (from the factory) as did most Euro cars that had them (a metal panel).
I think the glass panel was more of an Asian car design that quickly caught on with other manufacturers.

For future reference, which automotive authority printed the official definition? Id love to link to it for future discussion.

Regardless of what anyone here calls it, sellers of used cars use both terms, and are often forced to choose one term.
In using an online service to shop for a car you will get more results if you ask for both.

I just recently saw an article that explained the history of both terms and which car company coined each. But for the life of me I can't recall which they both were. I believe one was Mercedes, but not sure which one.

A friend was just given a '73 Vette because of a good job (construction) he did for a customer.
He told me he had to take off the moonroof to fit in the car. I couldn't bear to say, "T-top".

Last edited:
You must lead a very sheltered life....despite having a sunroof ;)

Seriously tho, even my 88 BMW has one (from the factory) as did most Euro cars that had them (a metal panel).
I think the glass panel was more of an Asian car design that quickly caught on with other manufacturers.

What being discussed is a "metal" covering. Never seen one.

What I believe is being described is almost always a painted piece of metal - that's the color of the body.

Ive seen these described as "sliding sunroofs/ moonroof" as well.

I just recently saw an article that explained the history of both terms and which car company coined each. But for the life of me I can't recall which they both were. I believe one was Mercedes, but not sure which one.

No worries, I always wondered about this description and never bothered to thread the discussion.

What being discussed is a "metal" covering. Never seen one.

What I believe is being described is almost always a painted piece of metal - that's the color of the body.
I'm sorry, are you referring to a painted or an unpainted metal panel?
I can't recall seeing or hearing of an unpainted metal "sunroof" before.

They are getting too big in some models.

I had a 2007 F150 King Ranch with a moonroof. I liked it in that vehicle, & noticed how it really brightened up the cab, & made it feel roomier.

I decided against one on the 2018 that I replaced it with. Almost the entire roof panel was glass. A few people said that they were experiencing leaks, & problems with the opening mechanism. I was also concerned whether the A/C would keep up on a bright sunny day.

Back