Is Mobil1 Group 3 or 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please blacklist any threads asking this question, its getting too repetitive. I think a sticky on how to use the search engine (yes even i have been guilty in the past of not using it) would be good.

Mobil is to blame for this, not being transparent on what they use in oils.

vx calais, the search function sucks. i certaintly DON"T want a mobil1 sticky thank you very much.

lol, fair call crinkles, apologies to teh thread poster
wink.gif

You cant believe Mobil anything anymore. Yesterday I saw on the bottle that Synth S is now "Full synthetic motor oil". When I used it few years back it was Semi.....

Originally Posted By: Nikola
You cant believe Mobil anything anymore. Yesterday I saw on the bottle that Synth S is now "Full synthetic motor oil". When I used it few years back it was Semi.....

I have NEVER seen a bottle of Mobil 1 that showed it was a "semi . . ."

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Maybe it's because Mobil was the one that complained that grp III oils should not be allowed to be marketed as "synthetic"

It is interesting that Mobil seems to be purposely dodging this issue. Still a darn fine oil though...

Yes but Pennzoil Platinum is calling themselves a Synthetic and they are using lower numbered group base-stocks compared to Mobil-1
wink.gif

You know, on the Mobil One website, I count 19 different formulations and weights of Mobil One. So-called regular M1 comes in several different weights, then there is the "fuel economy" version in a couple of weights, the 15,000 mile version, the high mileage version, the truck and suv version, the Diesel version, and the two motorcycle versions.

These many different combinations probably have different percentages of III and IV components, as well as antiwear and detergent additives.

I, personally, used M1 from the time it came out, back in the middle 70's, until I retired a few years ago. At first, it was advertised to be good for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever came first. I understand that a lot of people ruined their engines by trying to run them 25,000 miles without checking the oil level. My cars always used at least 3 quarts in my year's driving, which was usually 18,000 to 20,000 miles. My engines always remained clean and quiet, tho I never was one to keep a car forever; 140,000 miles is the most I ever put on a car before trading or selling.

Evidently they have changed the formula in the last few years in "regular" M1. They have put out the version they now say is good for 15,000 mile or one year intervals. My usual question about this oil, is: what did they do to "regular" M1 to make it good for, apparently, less than 15,000 miles?

I have recently gone back to using M1 in my personal vehicle; I use the high mileage 10W30 version; as I now only drive 6 to 8,000 miles a year, I will change it once a year. I have also changed all of my lawnmowers and other OPE's to this oil, since I am wary of using the SM versions in my small engines, and the M1 10W30 and 10W40 high mileage oils are still SL.

Originally Posted By: Big Jim

I believe that poster was referring to some Mobil oils that are available in Serbia, probably doesn't have much relevance for the U.S. folks.

Last edited:
It's really stupid to lock yourself in to a particular base oil strategy IMO. This is often why the comments are vague from oil manufactures. With new base oils and additives being made all the time, it doesn't matter. End performance is what counts. You either meet the more demanding specifications or you don't.

The application also matters. Different base oils are often used for different applications.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
You know, on the Mobil One website, I count 19 different formulations and weights of Mobil One. So-called regular M1 comes in several different weights, then there is the "fuel economy" version in a couple of weights, the 15,000 mile version, the high mileage version, the truck and suv version, the Diesel version, and the two motorcycle versions.

These many different combinations probably have different percentages of III and IV components, as well as antiwear and detergent additives.

I, personally, used M1 from the time it came out, back in the middle 70's, until I retired a few years ago. At first, it was advertised to be good for 25,000 miles or one year, whichever came first. I understand that a lot of people ruined their engines by trying to run them 25,000 miles without checking the oil level. My cars always used at least 3 quarts in my year's driving, which was usually 18,000 to 20,000 miles. My engines always remained clean and quiet, tho I never was one to keep a car forever; 140,000 miles is the most I ever put on a car before trading or selling.

Evidently they have changed the formula in the last few years in "regular" M1. They have put out the version they now say is good for 15,000 mile or one year intervals. My usual question about this oil, is: what did they do to "regular" M1 to make it good for, apparently, less than 15,000 miles?

I have recently gone back to using M1 in my personal vehicle; I use the high mileage 10W30 version; as I now only drive 6 to 8,000 miles a year, I will change it once a year. I have also changed all of my lawnmowers and other OPE's to this oil, since I am wary of using the SM versions in my small engines, and the M1 10W30 and 10W40 high mileage oils are still SL.

My hunch is probably 7,500 to 10,000 miles. I asked their tech department about how long their 0w30 was good for. The response I got was one year or 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Big Jim

Mobil 1 is not a semi synt. Their semi is called Mobil Clean 7500.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_7500.aspx

Thanks guys! I really did search. I'm new here but am on other forums and I know how annoying it is when a newbie asks a question and you know they didn't search beforehand.
I also thought there might be an "Everything you never wanted to know about oil" or some other tutorials for newbies. That would be great, leaving the forums for more advanced discussion. Perhaps something like that is here, but I haven't found it.
Yes, the search function is different than other forums I'm on. Whenever I search by subject, I get each individual post, instead of grouping them by subject. I haven't figured out how to make it not do that.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I have an Idea,everyone should go back to conventional oil,change every 3k,and no more worries.
smirk2.gif

That may very well be one of the best suggestions ever.

I think it has been pretty much established that most auto motors will go way past the life expectancy of the rest of the vehicle,on plain ole conventional oil. (with the correct oci`s of coarse)Although,if your vehicle specifies synthetic i.e Corvette,MB etc. then that is a different scenario_Other wise,why bother? I know extended drain intervals right?,well i dont buy that either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
I think it has been pretty much established that most auto motors will go way past the life expectancy of the rest of the vehicle,on plain ole conventional oil. (with the correct oci`s of coarse)Although,if your vehicle specifies synthetic i.e Corvette,MB etc. then that is a different scenario_Other wise,why bother? I know extended drain intervals right?,well i dont buy that either.

Where synt. makes a big difference is for car owners that abuse their OCI by going 7-10,000 or more miles on oil changes. This kind of OCI will diffently lead to stuck rings, heavy sludge, and in general shorter engine like. Obviously you change your oil regularlly,3000OCI. Also in extreme cold or heat synt. gives more protection than conv.

Well, the obvious answer to the original question, is. Yes, it is.
cool.gif

Also, there are viariances in base oils from grade to grade in the same line.
shocked2.gif

I can say that I have a high degree of conficence that the Mobil 1 oil that I use is 73% PAO
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

I can say that I have a high degree of conficence that the Mobil 1 oil that I use is 73% PAO
thumbsup2.gif

Which one do you use?

Hi,
tig1 - The biggest mistake many vehicle owners make is believing that they know more than the engine/vehicle Manufacturer does

Sometimes this viewpoint is reached by incorrect advice given up by mechanics and friends (and others) - and "helpful" salespeople at retail stores

In reality following the engine Manufacturer's lubricant specifications as to type and viscosity is singularly the best thing to do. Oil Brand matters very little in all reality!

Many Manufacturers such as MB, Porsche and VW-Audi include semi-synthetic and "fully" synthetic lubricants on their Approval Lists. All of these will do the job well and some testing by Castrol has shown that modern semi-synthetic lubricants can outperform some old (now obsolete API Quality rating) synthetic cousins

Many Manufacturers include two years and 12k miles as their OCI limits with such Approved and Listed lubricants. My experience is that they do that very well and as intended - regardless of Brand and Group!

Many people simply waste money on overly frequent OCIs and by using expensive lubricants (sometimes not Approved and Listed by the engine Manufacturer - and sometimes without official API/ACEA "endorsement") - that offer only very marginal benefits if any in most applications. The Brand matters little!

tig1 - IMO you are correct in that where say a 3k OCI interval is mandated with a mineral lubricant - using a modern synthetic MAY offer an extra margin of "safety" if that OCI is exceeded

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back