Is Mobil1 Group 3 or 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I'm new to this site but I have tried searching for the answer with no luck. Is Mobil1 oil Group 3 or Group 4? I'm specifically talking about 15-50 and 0-40 that I stockpiled in the end of '06. I recently put 15-50 in my car, and then more recently put in Auto-Rx. Apparently ARX is fine with any oil in the clean phase but I just wanted to check if I should use it on the rinse phase. I'll most likely run dino oil but since I have this oil here, I was just wondering. Thanks!

M1 oils are most likely a blend of Grp 3-4-5 basestocks. Some weights are higher in 4-5 than others. In Dec. a tech at XM told me all M1 oils are Grp 4. With that said, M1 5-30 may have more Grp 3 than 0-40. Hard to say. At the least all M1 oils do have at least some Grp 4 or 5 in them. Anyway, their oils have served me well for 31 years.

Last edited:
yes group 4 some have group 3 and 4, but apparantly to those so concerned with the group 3 content, it is junk in Mobil yet all the loads of other oils called synthetic and made up entirely of group 3 are more than adequate. If group 3 is supposedly close to 4 and excellent in other "synthetics", should Mobil 1 a group 3/4 be as good as the other 3's and maybe even a touch better with the 4 hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Buster,
Splain this to me. XM calls this process Grp 5. Is this equal to the Grp5 ester base stocks? Is XM using this type of Grp 5 basestock now?

Last edited:
It's crazy... People love Pennzoil Platinum and it's not a Group IV yet everyone beats up Mobil-1 for having some Group III in it?

Hello..... Why is it ok for one and not the other?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's crazy... People love Pennzoil Platinum and it's not a Group IV yet everyone beats up Mobil-1 for having some Group III in it?

TADAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL.gif

Hi,
Molakule - I agree with your comments!

For those with an "ester" hangup - synthetic esters were a base product in lubricants in Germany around 1941. These formed the basis for the modern high quality synthetics we can buy today!

Surely we should all recognise that the development of these processes have come a long way from the efforts of the Chemists and Engineers of Ruhrchemie, Rheinpreussen, Politz etc. and, from the input of the brilliant BMW and Daimler Benz Engineers of that time

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Maybe it's because Mobil was the one that complained that grp III oils should not be allowed to be marketed as "synthetic"

It is interesting that Mobil seems to be purposely dodging this issue. Still a darn fine oil though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back