Is maxlife a suitable substitute for Ford Mercon SP?

I'm going to be servicing a 2006 6.0 Powerstroke trans soon. Is Maxlife ok to use for a few spill and fills?

All kidding aside....after reading through volumes of ATF blurbs trying to reconcile the differences among T-IV, 3309 et. al. and seeing loads of notices stating that Mercon SP was indeed "SPecial", I'd skip the research and just buy the SP.

And as an answer to your post title, yes Maxlife is a suitable substitute per their PDS.

Another alternative that's been discussed lately is Valvoline Extended Protection ATF which is also suitable for Mercon SP applications.

Another alternative that's been discussed lately is Valvoline Extended Protection ATF which is also suitable for Mercon SP applications.
+1 for Valvoline Extended Protection ATF. It has a higher quality additive package than MaxLife. That doesn't mean that MaxLife is a bad product by any means.

This is a good deal:

1715172077785.jpg

I'm going to be servicing a 2006 6.0 Powerstroke trans soon. Is Maxlife ok to use for a few spill and fills?
I'll give you my two cents: since it's a 2006, and the transmission sits behind a torque Diesel engine, I would go with Castrol TranSynd 668. I've used it in two ZF 8HP transmissions and two 6-speed Hyundai transmissions with great results. TES 668 fluids are formulated with better materials because they are commercial grade fluids. If it was my truck, I would use a TES 668 fluids. The Castrol TranSynd 668 is the easiest to find. Most NAPA stores have it on the shelves or they can get it for you the same or next they. Amazon sells a 3-gallon box for $135.

1715172369455.jpg

This is always a debate. I fall in the camp that SP was superceded by LV, but others swear SP is a special animal unto itself.

@bdcardinal what does your service dept do on apps that would have initially been SP? Do you even carry it? I've been told most Ford dealers don't stock or use SP, but that's anecdotal

And which ATF are you using in your BMW per your signature...?

HPL but I wasn't going to recommend it since OP is looking for better availability and pricing than Mercon SP.

My mechanic threw a bit of a fit when I presented it to him. He strongly recommended against but I trust David from HPL.

David's opinion Valvoline's opinion in my mind

This is always a debate. I fall in the camp that SP was superceded by LV, but others swear SP is a special animal unto itself.

@bdcardinal what does your service dept do on apps that would have initially been SP? Do you even carry it? I've been told most Ford dealers don't stock or use SP, but that's anecdotal
Mercon SP is obsolete from Ford. When we try to order it, the order defaults to LV.

Mercon SP is obsolete from Ford. When we try to order it, the order defaults to LV.
It's available from Motorcraft: https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us.../mercon-sp-automatic-transmission-fluids.html

It's not hard to make, because the additive package used in Valvoline EP ATF, Mobil 1 LV ATF HP, and all TES 668 fluids, including Castrol Transynd 668, is the same, and covers Mercon SP. The only difference is base oil mix and viscosity.

Given the Mercon SP specs, Valvoline EP ATF will cover it just fine. So will Valvoline MaxLife, however, I would opt for EP, as it's the better fluid.

1715183567807.jpg

It's available from Motorcraft: https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us.../mercon-sp-automatic-transmission-fluids.html

It's not hard to make, because the additive package used in Valvoline EP ATF, Mobil 1 LV ATF HP, and all TES 668 fluids, including Castrol Transynd 668, is the same, and covers Mercon SP. The only difference is base oil mix and viscosity.

Given the Mercon SP specs, Valvoline EP ATF will cover it just fine. So will Valvoline MaxLife, however, I would opt for EP, as it's the better fluid.

View attachment 218375
1715185918726.jpg

XT-6-QSP was the p/n for SP
XT-10-QLVC is the p/n for LV

I could be misremembering but I think the only transmission that didn't get re-spec'ed to something else by Ford was the 6R75 (which preceded the 6R80).

pennzoil LV is LICENSED by Ford. And it’s considerably cheaper than Valvoline.
Home Depot has it for $6.67 per quart but it’s clearanced at my store for $5.00 per quart.

Reactions: D60
Back