Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by vavavroom
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by vavavroom
I think the question should be whether or not LM is more overrated than other oils with the same approvals. And we need to know who is overrating the product: the manufacturers, testing facilities, consumers, mechanics, Joe the barber?

What? Are you suggesting the manufacturer or the testing entity are faking the approvals?

No, I am not suggesting that at all. I'm questioning the choice or word "overrated" because we don't know who's overrating a product and based on what criteria. The manufacturer's approvals speak for themselves. Tests may show a superior product or a better value for one or another product. The term "overrated" is so vague that I find the original question unanswerable.

I agree with you, it's just a subjective statement b/c folks here don't think LM is a good oil for what you pay vs. other oils with the same approvals so LM Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 vs. M1 or Castrol 0W40s from Wallyworld for 1/2 the price. LM is good at marketing (I suppose that's why I use them) and I guess folks are saying that is the "overrated" part. My last UOA was v. good at 7K with LM and would have lasted until 10K is my guess and that's tuned and driving my VW hard. Maybe the M1/Castrol from Wally woudl have been exactly the same..who knows.

This I think is a deep dark secret on Bitog. In fact, has there ever been any definitive evidence that the use of one appropriately rated oil has any statistical difference over another? We have endless posts on here that this oil or that one produced 5 ppm less iron or what-not than another with zero proof that it was even due to the oil in the first place. Many factors will influence the results on a used oil analysis, none are run in controlled environments, and yet people here hang their hats on the notion that the observed deviance is due to the oil.

In fact, what evidence we do have is that it is not due to the oil. I'd wager that the vast majority of the UOA on here are entirely worthless for this purpose yet people hang on every number as if they can glean relevance from noise.

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
You want to know the truth?

As long as it meets the manufacturer's specs, oil is oil. Especially with German cars that have more specific requirements than your standard API stuff. As long as it's on the list you're good to go.

If you buy the cheapest oil that meets specs, it will perform so close to the most expensive that the difference, even over hundreds of thousands of miles, will be imperceptible if it even exists.

So is LM overrated? Yeah. It's not alone in that, though. The fact is, oil is very much a mature industry, every company knows how to make a product that will work, and every automaker knows what products are necessary for their applications. Furthermore, no manufacturer would warrant the use of an oil if they weren't sure it would work. Just buy whatever meets specs and don't worry about it. LM works alright but it's not magic.

Well, I actually do think most of the people here have come around, you see a lot of people running things like Supertech, QSUD, Magnatec and the like, and all of those are fine oils from everything I've ever seen. I'm kind of on the "buy whatever's on sale with the right specs" point now myself. I'd rather spend more on a better filter, although even that probably doesn't matter as much as I think it does. Ultimately, though, with all of this if a few bucks can buy some peace of mind it's worth it IMO.

Now, when it comes to UOAs, I think they do have some utility but not necessarily for the average driver. The best use for UOAs is for fleets. If you have thousands of semis running millions of miles, suddenly all the little stuff makes a huge difference, especially when margins are already razor thin. If you can get .5 better MPG or run your engines a few thousand longer between rebuilds, over that many vehicles and that many miles and that many gallons of fuel, it does really add up. For us? Not so much. Still, kinda neat though.

This I think is a deep dark secret on Bitog. In fact, has there ever been any definitive evidence that the use of one appropriately rated oil has any statistical difference over another? We have endless posts on here that this oil or that one produced 5 ppm less iron or what-not than another with zero proof that it was even due to the oil in the first place. Many factors will influence the results on a used oil analysis, none are run in controlled environments, and yet people here hang their hats on the notion that the observed deviance is due to the oil.

In fact, what evidence we do have is that it is not due to the oil. I'd wager that the vast majority of the UOA on here are entirely worthless for this purpose yet people hang on every number as if they can glean relevance from noise.

You want to know the truth?

As long as it meets the manufacturer's specs, oil is oil. Especially with German cars that have more specific requirements than your standard API stuff. As long as it's on the list you're good to go.

If you buy the cheapest oil that meets specs, it will perform so close to the most expensive that the difference, even over hundreds of thousands of miles, will be imperceptible if it even exists.

So is LM overrated? Yeah. It's not alone in that, though. The fact is, oil is very much a mature industry, every company knows how to make a product that will work, and every automaker knows what products are necessary for their applications. Furthermore, no manufacturer would warrant the use of an oil if they weren't sure it would work. Just buy whatever meets specs and don't worry about it. LM works alright but it's not magic.

Well, I actually do think most of the people here have come around, you see a lot of people running things like Supertech, QSUD, Magnatec and the like, and all of those are fine oils from everything I've ever seen. I'm kind of on the "buy whatever's on sale with the right specs" point now myself. I'd rather spend more on a better filter, although even that probably doesn't matter as much as I think it does. Ultimately, though, with all of this if a few bucks can buy some peace of mind it's worth it IMO.

Now, when it comes to UOAs, I think they do have some utility but not necessarily for the average driver. The best use for UOAs is for fleets. If you have thousands of semis running millions of miles, suddenly all the little stuff makes a huge difference, especially when margins are already razor thin. If you can get .5 better MPG or run your engines a few thousand longer between rebuilds, over that many vehicles and that many miles and that many gallons of fuel, it does really add up. For us? Not so much. Still, kinda neat though.

They all have just gotten so good

Funny its seems LM bottled oils dont have moly in them. Looks like their specialty is selling moly additives in a small bottle.
No thanks I will stick with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, way cheaper and already has moly in every bottle.

Originally Posted by AirBull
LM is good but not great. Ravenol specs are usually superior and can be had in the US via Blauparts.com.

How do you feel it compares to Ravenol which is definitely better

LM is good but not great. Ravenol specs are usually superior and can be had in the US via Blauparts.com.

Sign up for emails from Blauparts and you can easily get 11 to 15% off pretty regularly in the Ravenol.

Totally agree. Even Pentosin too

Ravenol is fine too, but IMO it suffers from the same problem. There are cheaper oils that will do exactly the same thing. Especially if we're talking German, I don't see a reason to buy anything but the cheapest oil on the approved list.

It always seems to come down to price in the LM discussion - so the title of this post should have been "Is Liquimoly overpriced?" or "Is Liquimoly overhyped?".

Originally Posted by TiGeo
It always seems to come down to price in the LM discussion - so the title of this post should have been "Is Liquimoly overpriced?" or "Is Liquimoly overhyped?".

For nothing but average oil, yes it is overpriced.
It is also overrated. There is nothing in LM that makes it better than any OTHER average oil. And in average I do not put Mobil1 0W40 FS, Castrol 0W30/40, Pennzoil 5W40.

Originally Posted by edyvw

For nothing but average oil, yes it is overpriced.
It is also overrated. There is nothing in LM that makes it better than any OTHER average oil. And in average I do not put Mobil1 0W40 FS, Castrol 0W30/40, Pennzoil 5W40.

Who is overrating it? I don't get that part. Is there a oil comparo article somewhere that say "LM is the best vs. X/Y/Z"? Overpriced against M1/Castrol products at Wallyworld w/ same spec, I get that.

I think that would be the better title question for this thread. They do seem to use the "Made in Germany" mystique for their marketing advantage while producing an average oil and its works on some folks. We could discuss this very same thing ad nauseum with all the others that fall into this catagory as well. Bottom line; use whats rated/speced for your vehicle, the rest is icing on the cake. Now, discuss the justification for paying for the icing? THAT will produce a 50 paged thread sh!t-storm
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shortyb

I think that would be the better title question for this thread. They do seem to use the "Made in Germany" mystique for their marketing advantage while producing an average oil and its works on some folks. We could discuss this very same thing ad nauseum with all the others that fall into this catagory as well. Bottom line; use whats rated/speced for your vehicle, the rest is icing on the cake. Now, discuss the justification for paying for the icing? THAT will produce a 50 paged thread sh!t-storm
laugh.gif

Agreed! If you watch some of their marketing videos with various Euro tuner shops, they use the "Made in Germany" as being a QA/QC thing that 100% of their oil for world-wide consumption is made in 2 factories in Germany. Could be any country really but that is just a stab at the mega companies and an attempt at showing higher quality etc. But then again I'm a LM fanboy..ahhahahahah

Originally Posted by alcyon
Funny its seems LM bottled oils dont have moly in them. Looks like their specialty is selling moly additives in a small bottle.
No thanks I will stick with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, way cheaper and already has moly in every bottle.

But there are no Shells in Shell oils also...

The name "Liqui Moly" comes from their first product, the Moly Oil Additive. 40 Years ago. But People still claim "What? No Moly in Liqui Moly?"

Originally Posted by ad244

Sorry, but if one german Oil is overrated, than ist definately Ravenol.

The last UOAs done in the German Oil club Forum showed that Ravenol varies greatly from batch to batch and this oil thins out fast in use. https://oil-club.de/
Also the guys in the russian oil forum complained about variations from batch to batch.

If one german oil is overratd than its Ravenol for sure.

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Originally Posted by alcyon

But there are no Shells in Shell oils also...

The name "Liqui Moly" comes from their first product, the Moly Oil Additive. 40 Years ago. But People still claim "What? No Moly in Liqui Moly?"

So true..."THOSE @#$@%^@#$ THEY ARE MISLEADING CONSUMERS!!!!"

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Originally Posted by ad244

Sorry, but if one german Oil is overrated, than ist definately Ravenol.

The last UOAs done in the German Oil club Forum showed that Ravenol varies greatly from batch to batch and this oil thins out fast in use. https://oil-club.de/
Also the guys in the russian oil forum complained about variations from batch to batch.

If one german oil is overratd than its Ravenol for sure.

boom....from reading here it looks to be the blood of Jesus

But then again I'm a LM fanboy..ahhahahahah

Must be that teutonic-like blocky bottle shape
wink.gif

Least you're honest and one of the first (if not only) ones that says you use it because you like it. And not for any other reason, vs. something comparable but less expensive/easy to acquire. FCP Euro does have a good purchase program for stuff like that though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back