is it ok to M 1 Euro 0w40 in 2009 Lexus RX350 with 207,000 miles

vehicle is new to me. Runs very well no leaks anywhere. Yes, I'm changing all the fluids and filters and spark plugs. I have read here that this 0w40 can be used in most engines.
thanks for your thoughts

Probably fine but it is a full SAPs oil in a low SAPs emissions design. But I doubt it will hurt anything...

Probably fine but it is a full SAPs oil in a low SAPs emissions design. But I doubt it will hurt anything...
Only time where mid-SAPS is necessary is when a car has a particulate filter, which no older gasoline engine will have, and the car is MPFI so no worry of the potential increase in valve deposits from using full SAPS like you would on a DI engine.

vehicle is new to me. Runs very well no leaks anywhere. Yes, I'm changing all the fluids and filters and spark plugs. I have read here that this 0w40 can be used in most engines.
thanks for your thoughts
That kind of oil (ACEA A3) was recommended in that engine by Lexus in Europe.
I used it in 2GR-FE in my SIenna.
You can always go with thicker oil, and this one is not "too thick," to put it like that.

thanks for your thoughts
The new Darling of Bitog, as far as the 0W-40 from Mobil goes, it is a great oil, what are your driving habits like?

Thank you all for your prompt replies!
Brian, certainly a fair question but it made me smile. I’m 78, so hopefully I am driving carefully. I plan to use the RX350 for highway trips and bad weather. My DD is a 07 Civic SI and my “truck” is a 1996 Camry wagon. I bought both new.

No correlation whatsoever!

As mentioned, it would be an issue if the vehicle has GPF.
Not sure why you're chiming in, but calm down with the caps. The vehicle still has a catalytic converter that was designed for decreased levels of zinc, phosphorus. So while it might not be an "issue" I agree, at 200K, it is still a factor especially if the OP is burning oil. Ask me what a plugged cat is like. And yes, there is a "correlation" or else we'd have 1500 ppm of zinc in modern SM/SN/SN+/SP oils. No?..

Sure you can run it but why do this/what purpose is this serving is my question? I have an '08...just runs any run-o-the-mill 5W30 which would be more than adequate and likely a bit less cost.

Not sure why you're chiming in, but calm down with the caps. The vehicle still has a catalytic converter that was designed for decreased levels of zinc, phosphorus. So while it might not be an "issue" I agree, at 200K, it is still a factor especially if the OP is burning oil. Ask me what a plugged cat is like. And yes, there is a "correlation" or else we'd have 1500 ppm of zinc in modern SM/SN/SN+/SP oils. No?..
Caps? GPF=Gasoline Particulate Filter. It is abbreviation not me trying to yell at you. So, not sure why you chiming in about something you actually have no idea what it is?
You see, all vehicles designed to use specifications that M1 is approved for have catalytic converter. M1 has Zinc level below 1200ppm, around 1050-1100 as all A3 oils.
So, I chimed in bcs. you actually don’t know facts about M1 0W40.

Yeah, that will work too, but not interesting:)
For sure not interesting and ST is $21 now so not the deal it used to be. The Lexus is actually our catch-all vehicle so any extra oil from the other cars ends up in it...so 0.5 qt of 5W20 from the Focus and any 5W40 from the 3 VWs to make up the 6th qt so I only buy a single 5qt jug of ST/QS 5W30 for it.

Last edited:
Caps? GPF=Gasoline Particulate Filter. It is abbreviation not me trying to yell at you. So, not sure why you chiming in about something you actually have no idea what it is?
You see, all vehicles designed to use specifications that M1 is approved for have catalytic converter. M1 has Zinc level below 1200ppm, around 1050-1100 as all A3 oils.
So, I chimed in bcs. you actually don’t know facts about M1 0W40.

Below 1200 or above 1000 the "facts" are that M1 0W-40 is above 800ppm for zinc making it not the best choice for cars from the early 2000's on spec'ing the API Starburst for SM/SN/SN+/SP/A1/A5. Those are the "facts". We're not far apart as an SUV with over 200K owes it's owner nothing and neither does the emissions system and I do think that M1 0W-40 is the 'cats' ass' and 1100 or so ppm probably won't cause an issue at this point, and there are catalytic cleaners to help if it does.

But it's not the best choice in newer cars not needing the performance related ratings. People run around here cavalierly recommending high SAPs oils for newer passenger cars not requiring performance rated oils and this would almost certainly risk a warranty denial on an emissions fault on a newer vehicle and these warranties are usually at least 100K if not more. That didn't start with the advent of DI FI, it's like 15-20 years on...

Back