Is Internet Explorer pretty good now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ditched IE8 for Chrome and haven't looked back. But as IE automatically updated on my computer without giving a second look and decided to fire up IE when Chrome started to become bloated and laggy, I'm impressed. HTML 5 support, everything is so smooth and refined, simple, etc. I won't miss the browser apps and plugins (barely used those in chrome) and certain webpages do look better in IE. I don't know if the hivemind is against IE but it's good.

Last edited:
Oh, stop it.

IE is just fine. All of the 'big three' browsers have their plusses and minuses. IE (now) isn't any worse or better than Chrome or Firefox, just different. It's just personal preference.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I don't know if the hivemind is against IE but it's good.

It is good, yes. I think all of the mainstream browsers are good. Each have their pros and cons in my experience. I haven't yet found a browser that I simply can't live with and I haven't yet found a browser that I simply can't without.

I tend to prefer Chrome over others due to the fantastic synchronization it has with bookmarks and tabs across multiple platforms (Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, etc). IE doesn't have that and Mozilla doesn't have that. If I didn't use iOS, Mozilla would be okay, but I find that even the latest versions of it are more prone to crashing than I prefer. I do agree with you that most web pages seem to render the best in IE11. IE11 is also far more compatible with our corporate web structure than other browsers are (with smartcard-based authentication, etc).

Usually IE was only used once back in the day; That was to download Netscape 4.0 (j/k)

I find it to be pretty good when I use it @ work. There are a variety of IE only sites and misbehaving ones, so I have a portable version of FF that I also use. I don't find reliability to be an issue with any browser.

Its a love hate relationship.

IE11 causes the least problems of any of the Big 3. Chrome is OK, but certain things still cause memory leaks. Mozilla, don't really use it much/at all anymore.

I understand the IE hate, I was there at one time, but Microsoft fixed most of the problems, and I have no problem with it now. Every once in awhile Chrome will just decide to be "wonky", pages don't load right, or the aforementioned memory leak will m make itself known.

Really, overall, as Hokiefyd said above, all the mainstream browsers are good. Each one does small things differently, some of those things are annoying, some you never notice. If I could pin my favorites on the left like I do with IE, I might use chrome more often.

If IE had an internal synchronization system like Chrome or Mozilla did, I'd probably start using it as my primary browser. That's one thing it lacks in my opinion. Unless it's already there and I'm somehow missing it?

I just got IE9 as part of a new work laptop. I don't like it. Pages freeze, won't stay logged into BITOG, and worst, while typing in this reply box often the cursor goes missing. I'm going to have to download FF again (for some reason IT didn't copy it over). I'd stop using it altogether but internal pages require it.

Will say it does not lock up all tabs. Given the price I paid for it (zero) it's not that bad.

Seems that the last few versions aren't as bad as they used to be. Certainly not as many holes in it - when I was a traveling tech, IE didn't seem to be any better or worse than the others for malware infections. Seemed the biggest issue was people who decided to have an admin account on their computer and click on every single popup that had "free" on it.

Chrome does eat a lot of memory, but I believe it's because each tab is its own instance of Chrome (for security). It's not uncommon for chrome to be chewing up >1gb of ram for me.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Still wouldn't touch that POS with a 10 foot pole when there are much better alternatives.

+1, I'm not sure why anyone would still use IE... It is terrible. If chrome is getting bloated to you (which I agree with) give Firefox a try.. I switched to Firefox from chrome and haven't looked back. It's the best browser ever in my opinion!

IE only runs on one platform, which is a negative for most people. Some internal web pages require IE, so that's what I use on those pages.

Chrome runs on a lot of platforms, and I love its history for all devices you use it on, but text is incredibly small on a 15" 1920x1200 laptop, so they have some rendering issues to deal with.

Firefox: Try Tools, Set Up Sync. for syncing wherever you run it (I'm on version 31.0.) Still my go-to browser. It runs on a lot of different platforms, and does a good job on all of them.
(Personal satisfaction: a lot of young developers want only to develop for IE, claiming only has market share; Firefox is currently 20%. Well, MacOS only had 5% market share, why did you ever use a Mac when it had such a low market share?)

There is nothing wrong with newer IE browsers they caught up with competition.

I still default to Waterfox (64bit Firefox) and Chrome just because I'm so used to them.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Still wouldn't touch that POS with a 10 foot pole when there are much better alternatives.

+1, I'm not sure why anyone would still use IE... It is terrible. If chrome is getting bloated to you (which I agree with) give Firefox a try.. I switched to Firefox from chrome and haven't looked back. It's the best browser ever in my opinion!

People have their own needs. It is about 'choice'

Any reason why you still use windows, that's terrible too.....

Last edited:
Youtube wont play 1080p on one of my pc's on chrome but it will on ie. I think ie looks pretty good.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I basically don't use windows, and avoid it at all costs. I have it on my netbook (collects dust for the most part) and I ONLY keep it because I'm going into IT and have to use it once in a while for my classes... Other than that I would never touch a windows computer again if I could help it.

But you are going off topic..

Back on topic.

Originally Posted By: supton
I just got IE9 as part of a new work laptop. I don't like it. Pages freeze, won't stay logged into BITOG, and worst, while typing in this reply box often the cursor goes missing. I'm going to have to download FF again (for some reason IT didn't copy it over). I'd stop using it altogether but internal pages require it.

Will say it does not lock up all tabs. Given the price I paid for it (zero) it's not that bad.

IE9 is outdated by two versions. IE10/IE11 are not bad.

IE11 is very resource friendly and light compared to other browsers but for some reason it constantly hangs loading pages and crashes.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I tend to prefer Chrome over others due to the fantastic synchronization it has with bookmarks and tabs across multiple platforms (Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, etc). IE doesn't have that and Mozilla doesn't have that. If I didn't use iOS, Mozilla would be okay, but I find that even the latest versions of it are more prone to crashing than I prefer. I do agree with you that most web pages seem to render the best in IE11. IE11 is also far more compatible with our corporate web structure than other browsers are (with smartcard-based authentication, etc).

Are you unable to get Firefox sync to work?

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I basically don't use windows, and avoid it at all costs. I have it on my netbook (collects dust for the most part) and I ONLY keep it because I'm going into IT and have to use it once in a while for my classes... Other than that I would never touch a windows computer again if I could help it.

But you are going off topic..

Back on topic.

The majority of real world jobs use windows or mac for end users. Although my workplace does have a end user Linux dist you can have also. IE is out there and not perfect but works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back