Goodbye Linux Mint Mate 17.3, Hello Ubuntu Mate 18.04.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeepWJ19
Never understood the Mint following. It's based almost entirely off of Ubuntu LTS. Might as well just use Ubuntu LTS. Hmmmphh

Mint was born at a time when Canonical was (in the view of many) unnecessarily using in-house technologies that were non-standard. Upstart comes to mind; but Unity, their GUI was the big one. Mint was a response to users who wanted a more traditional desktop interface right out of the box. It stills serves that purpose despite that multiple DE's are available in most distro's repositories.

Ubuntu now uses Gnome by default, which is still a ways away from a "traditional" Windows-style desktop. Mint's Cinnamon and MATE are still clearly menu-based.

Originally Posted by Garak
Some get a little antsy at Ubuntu doing slightly different upgrade streams than Mint.

The only problems I have ever encountered in a Debian-based distro upgrade (I've had plenty with Arch back in the day!) have been Ubuntu upgrading the @#$% kernel. I admire how Debian Stable and Mint et al. choose a kernel that works (Linux itself has LTS kernels, for Pete's sake) and stick with it.

Last edited:
I was always lucky with Ubuntu's kernel upgrades. However, there isn't really a lot of point in upgrading unless there's a real security or functionality issue being addressed. Mint does it once in a while. I noticed a flurry came out a while back with that concern over processor security. Mint also does well in that it won't bug you to remove old kernels until a number of boots (or perhaps run time) successfully on the new kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back