I did the unthinkable... I installed Windows 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The final product feels and really is a compromise and a bad one at that. It's an attemt to have something totally new, but keeping the old without the consideration how the two interact with each other.
I believe if there was an option to stay 100% within one interface or the other, Windows 8 would be a hit.

I cut out the rest of what you said because I agree with all of it. I guess this is the unfortunate dilemma the Microsoft designers had to deal with.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I tried Win8 on my machines. It lasted 1 hour. The UI was just terrible. I don't see how they are marketing this towards anything other than Phones and tablets. If you don't have a touchscreen, it just slows you down.

One hour? Okay so it's your computer, your time, and your money and I am *not* trying to convince you to like or accept anything, but.... one hour isn't really enough time to give a new operating system a fair shake. I think you're falling into the "I want to stick with what's familiar" trap like so many seem to do any time major operating system updates are released for any platform.

You don't even have to use the tiles if you don't want to; you can stick to the old way of having a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop. On an average day I interact with operating systems ranging from XP, Vista, 7, 8, Android, iOS, and a few flavors of Linux and I can say with absolute certainty that one thing that 8 does not do is slow me down (I'm running it on a laptop; no touch screen).

With technology nothing is ever an improvement on anything if you're not willing to take the time to learn and adapt.

Again, no judgement from me, I don't care; if you're happy then I'm happy for you. But saying that something is terrible kind of implies that you spent an appropriate amount of time to develop that opinion.

I agree with this. Pretty soon they will bring back the start button and you can have shortcuts, especially if you don't have that many programs.

Bring back Program Manager!
smile.gif

For right now I will just stay with Windows 7. It works and I have a desktop computer. If I was walking around with a tablet computer I would consider Windows 8.

It looks like they are suddenly remembering the billion customers or so that they have that have older computers and desktop computers and businesses that have desktop computers. Personally I am not into the mobile computer lifestyle just yet (sorry Steve Jobs). When I am walking down the street I am more into looking at the scenery and not really interested in staring at a tiny computer screen.

I do the stuff I do on my computer at home. Trusty old desktop, custom built, and I can upgrade it with a few components. Some of the components on my computer date back to when I had a Windows XP computer. I have been running essentially the same computer components for probably about six years.

One of these days I will probably upgrade to Windows 8. But Microsoft is going to have to prove that they care about me and are interested in my computer needs.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The final product feels and really is a compromise and a bad one at that. It's an attemt to have something totally new, but keeping the old without the consideration how the two interact with each other.
I believe if there was an option to stay 100% within one interface or the other, Windows 8 would be a hit.

I cut out the rest of what you said because I agree with all of it. I guess this is the unfortunate dilemma the Microsoft designers had to deal with.

I tried Win8 on my machines. It lasted 1 hour. The UI was just terrible. I don't see how they are marketing this towards anything other than Phones and tablets. If you don't have a touchscreen, it just slows you down.

One hour? Okay so it's your computer, your time, and your money and I am *not* trying to convince you to like or accept anything, but.... one hour isn't really enough time to give a new operating system a fair shake. I think you're falling into the "I want to stick with what's familiar" trap like so many seem to do any time major operating system updates are released for any platform.

You don't even have to use the tiles if you don't want to; you can stick to the old way of having a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop. On an average day I interact with operating systems ranging from XP, Vista, 7, 8, Android, iOS, and a few flavors of Linux and I can say with absolute certainty that one thing that 8 does not do is slow me down (I'm running it on a laptop; no touch screen).

With technology nothing is ever an improvement on anything if you're not willing to take the time to learn and adapt.

Again, no judgement from me, I don't care; if you're happy then I'm happy for you. But saying that something is terrible kind of implies that you spent an appropriate amount of time to develop that opinion.

One our was more than enough to realize how slow it was at getting to explorer, finding files, customizing software options, etc. If all you do is click on icons/shortcuts then win8 might be for you. If you produce or work at all, it is beyond terrible and inefficient.

The "classic" mode or whatever was a hack job at best. You couldn't do near enough from the desktop screen like you can win win7.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have to say I dont like it either. Microsoft has a knack for making easy things more complicated because its fancier. I like to get on my computer and get things done.

Amen! Programmers seem to think that real people just sit around and play with computers all day like they do. I'm an accountant. A computer is a tool to me, just like a socket wrench or a ball peen hammer. Get all the gee-whiz graphics and doo-dads out of the way and let me make money.

If I want something to play with, it'll smell good, have long, silky hair and be wrapped in a skin-tight dress!

as soon as they make win8 classic mode that looks like win7

I'll probably upgrade .. until then windows 7 is the new XP and windows 8 is the new vista pre-service packs.

I like some things about Windows 8. I like the improved security. I like that it is still compatible with my hardware and software. But Microsoft should have designed it so that a desktop computer user could have the desktop version and a tablet computer user could have the mobile version.

If there had been better design I would have already switched to Windows 8.

On the other hand one of our retired IT guys likes Windows 8 now.

I downloaded "start menu 8" for my win-8 desktop. I'm very pleased. All of the normal functionality I expect and the performance of the most modern and up to date windows.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I downloaded "start menu 8" for my win-8 desktop. I'm very pleased. All of the normal functionality I expect and the performance of the most modern and up to date windows.

This must have improved since I tried Win8 at its RTM date. When i tried it, there were still many things the start button didn't do and you still had weird menus when you moved the mouse to different parts of the screen. You couldn't close programs, only switch to another. There were too many things unlike Win7 I just couldn't live with. Maybe I should try it again soon.

One our was more than enough to realize how slow it was at getting to explorer, finding files, customizing software options, etc. If all you do is click on icons/shortcuts then win8 might be for you. If you produce or work at all, it is beyond terrible and inefficient.

The "classic" mode or whatever was a hack job at best. You couldn't do near enough from the desktop screen like you can win win7.

Your experience has differed from mine significantly. I don't know what functionality you're missing from the desktop mode that existed within the OS it replaced, because from what I see it's all there. The only difference is you have to move the mouse curser to the upper right hand side of the screen instead of the lower left to get to your list of applications as well as the search functionality.

Your experience has differed from mine significantly. I don't know what functionality you're missing from the desktop mode that existed within the OS it replaced, because from what I see it's all there. The only difference is you have to move the mouse curser to the upper right hand side of the screen instead of the lower left to get to your list of applications as well as the search functionality.

That fact that it covers the entire screen when you do bring up the menu is pretty annoying. That's my biggest gripe with it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That fact that it covers the entire screen when you do bring up the menu is pretty annoying. That's my biggest gripe with it.

Yeah that's a pretty valid gripe. I guess I don't notice it so much because since they introduced the improved search function I've made no use of the Start menu for finding applications, I just type in what I want and let it fetch it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back