Is Icon by harbor freight really a good tool brand?

I have ICON tools and the big ICON tool box with hutch and end cabinets. Excellent quality and this is coming from a Snap On tool owner. I stopped buying Snap On as it simply is no longer worth it to me. Don't get me started with Snap On scan tools - even HF top model scan tool does more than the Snap on for much less and without the rip off update charges.

And their business models are vastly different, Snap-on list prices are not set in stone....But to protect the franchise model, You're going to pay list price on the Snap-on website.
More power to them, nice stuff, but Snap-On's franchise model, and prices, do not work for me.
With inexpensive tools like Capri, Tekton, and even Sunex, Harbor Freight is pricing themselves out of my business.
Same here. A 1+ hour drive to the dodgy side of town for HF isn't working well for me, either.

Tekton has most of the same Taiwan-made ratchets (like exactly the same) as HF. I got one last year just to avoid having Pittsburg in my drawers. I just bought a set of Capri slim wrenches, and used them on a bike, very nice. Of course most of my impact sockets are Sunex now. These and Astro Pneumatic are my go-to brands when I don't want to spend the dosh on SK.

I have ICON tools and the big ICON tool box with hutch and end cabinets. Excellent quality and this is coming from a Snap On tool owner. I stopped buying Snap On as it simply is no longer worth it to me. Don't get me started with Snap On scan tools - even HF top model scan tool does more than the Snap on for much less and without the rip off update charges.
HF scan tool does more? Does it include wiring diagrams? HF $500/year update less than the others? If it breaks or gets weird, is there anyone that can help? Like to know. Thank you for the info

Every one of these cost the same or less than the Icon, I got them on sale or in the case of the snappy used with "box rash". I didn't need any of them but I cant help myself, I see ratchet and other tools and have to own it need it or not. LOL
The Williams round head has become a fast favorite, the Wright has been used on 2 bolts and I will probably never use it again, its the worst feeling ratchet I ever used, the quality is good but it is very handle heavy for no reason.
The long Proto is a beast of a thing and a great tool, the shorter one blows. The long handle Snap on are a pleasure to use but the flex sucks, it is too short.

The point is though all these tools are made in the USA, can be had at the same price as the Icon if you bother to look and kits are available for every one of them. Get a kit for an Icon (not happening). I would take the Pittsburgh pro over the Icon any day, decent quality ratchets for a much lower price.
Out of this group the long Proto, Snap on and the perfectly balanced round head Williams are the ones I like the most and will get used a lot.

IMG_0580.JPG

I agree with what Trav said above. We had those Proto ratchets in school I feel they are much better than the Icon because of the USA and quality feel. And a low price for what it is. And as said easy to obtain a rebuild kit for or have it rebuilt.

I own quite a few HF Pittsburgh hand tools. All of them bought with a coupon. I can't see the fascination with spending more on a tool unless it was vastly superior. If you want something better than buy something that's not from HF. Sure I'd love better tools, but I don't make a living with them, they are used for wrenching on my own vehicles. They are good enough for what I do.

I'm guessing HF has so many fan boys and who knows how many Youtubers that are heavily influencing others to buy Icon tools. Who knows how much they are being compensated to promote the "Icon" brand.

I own quite a few HF Pittsburgh hand tools. All of them bought with a coupon. I can't see the fascination with spending more on a tool unless it was vastly superior. If you want something better than buy something that's not from HF. Sure I'd love better tools, but I don't make a living with them, they are used for wrenching on my own vehicles. They are good enough for what I do.

I'm guessing HF has so many fan boys and who knows how many Youtubers that are heavily influencing others to buy Icon tools. Who knows how much they are being compensated to promote the "Icon" brand.

I figure if I can spend obscene amounts of money on other hobbies, like firearms, I can buy good tools, even if I don't use them every day. Just a personal position I've taken and been reasonably vocal about on here. I can't suggest people spend a few bucks more and buy American, Canadian...etc if I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm not coming down on those that cannot justify it, everybody's situation is unique, but for me, it doesn't take many rounds of .338LM to match the price of a Snap-On ratchet.

I figure if I can spend obscene amounts of money on other hobbies, like firearms, I can buy good tools, even if I don't use them every day. Just a personal position I've taken and been reasonably vocal about on here. I can't suggest people spend a few bucks more and buy American, Canadian...etc if I'm not willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I'm not coming down on those that cannot justify it, everybody's situation is unique, but for me, it doesn't take many rounds of .338LM to match the price of a Snap-On ratchet.
As a gun nut myself, I must say you do make a good point

Tekton is about the same quality but a much more reasonable price.

Tekton has kind of went the HF Icon route(at least on list price) with their newer released impact socket sets of CR-MO sockets that are stamped and have the smaller sizes necked down for clearance. Check out the prices here: https://www.tekton.com/impact-drive-sockets

That said, the other CR-V socket sets that are only laser etched are still a very good value.

Tekton has kind of went the HF Icon route(at least on list price) with their newer released impact socket sets of CR-MO sockets that are stamped and have the smaller sizes necked down for clearance. Check out the prices here: https://www.tekton.com/impact-drive-sockets

That said, the other CR-V socket sets that are only laser etched are still a very good value.

Don't believe that chrome vanadium is not for impact sockets, it is not true. some of the best impacts are CR-V alloy. Read the description.
This is a set, way over priced by amazon real cost is about $400-450.

Stahlwille uses chrome alloy and not inexpensive either.

That is not to say the CR-V from horror freight are the same alloy as these but it is used for impacts as part of a alloy.

Don't believe that chrome vanadium is not for impact sockets, it is not true. some of the best impacts are CR-V alloy. Read the description.
This is a set, way over priced by amazon real cost is about $400-450.

Stahlwille uses chrome alloy and not inexpensive either.

That is not to say the CR-V from horror freight are the same alloy as these but it is used for impacts as part of a alloy.
I've bought most of my Stahlwille wrenches from amazon.de - usually, you save good money vs amazon.com
Some Gedore and Witte too

I have some Craftsman tools when My dad bought me a set for my fifteenth birthday,I am 67 years old.. For work I have Snap on I have broken and wore out Snap on tools . The Crafts man tools would have never held up with the work I have done with them. Also you are paying a service for the guy to come and service you and the guys that pay on account of they don't have the money to pay in full

I have some Craftsman tools when My dad bought me a set for my fifteenth birthday,I am 67 years old.. For work I have Snap on I have broken and wore out Snap on tools . The Crafts man tools would have never held up with the work I have done with them. Also you are paying a service for the guy to come and service you and the guys that pay on account of they don't have the money to pay in full
I just found my old Craftsman set my dad got me for Christmas when I was 15 when I was cleaning out his shop. I not quite 67 yet, but seeing that really took me back. I brought them home with me and plan to put them to good use.

Those are great quality. Are they metric or sae?
Both, with shallow and deep sockets, and both with wrenches/spanners (it was a pretty large kit; I lucked out that Christmas.) I also took home some of my grandfather's oil field tools. Don't plan on using those, just mainly for keepsakes. One was a big-ass pipe wrench that I'd never need, but it's got a story with it to tell my kid.

I only listed CR-MO and CR-V to differentiate the sets available from Tekton in particular that I was referencing. I have some CR-V impact sockets that are close to twenty years old at this point with a couple that are probably 30-40ish and they're all holding up fine.

Back