Harbor Freight 12V Battery/Alternator Tester: does it really work?

I found this plug-in battery and alternator tester at Harbor Freight, which claims to be able to read battery and alternator voltage just by plugging it into the 12V cigarette lighter power outlet :unsure:

How good is this plugin tester? Has anyone here used it or something like it before?
57331_W3.jpg

It is not uncommon for the cig ligher outlet to have some resistance and show a lower voltage under load.

Get a meter and measure at the battery. You can find meters just as inexpensively and they are much more helpful. Maybe more importantly, various cars and various battery types have different voltage requirements. Only a meter will give you the results you need for this.

Last edited:
AutoZone sells the OEM Tools Digital tester for $50, It is a good purchase for any DIY'ers or mechanic and tests many different types of batteries, it tests cold cranking amps, it will perform alternator tests.

Consider buying the OEM tools instead. Just because a battery has 12 volts does not mean it is good and without a decent tester you could end up stranded one day.

My batteries let me know when it's time...
Or hear me out... get a good tester and test your battery every few months or so that way when the battery is actually starting to fail you get it replaced while under warranty considering most decent batteries offer 3-5 year warranties now.

Or you can choose to lose money and ignore the warranty and wait until you are stranded.

Or hear me out... get a good tester and test your battery every few months or so that way when the battery is actually starting to fail you get it replaced while under warranty considering most decent batteries offer 3-5 year warranties now.

Or you can choose to lose money and ignore the warranty and wait until you are stranded.
My post #7 was kidding. I regularly service my batteries cleaning them and the terminals. I have 2 tenders for the cars that sit. I also believe in big fat negative cables. I keep a battery pack jumper in wifey's daily driver and another in the garage for trips or emergency use.

And old skool jumper cables in each of our homes.

Get a load tester.
OR
Amazon have some fancy battery load tester, alternator, starter tester very economical.

This, you can't properly test a battery without putting a load on it. I've used the headlights and ignition to on without the engine running in a pinch...but that's far from scientific.

Use it every time you’re driving, to get a feel of how the alternator keeps up with loads, and how quickly voltage drops once the key is shut off. I used one a long time ago and I could spot an alternator with bad diodes and a battery on its way out.

It’s not useful as pure idiot lights.

Back