Is getting a LTC in texas worth it?

I just signed up and am taking the online LTC with eagle gun range. I would really like to hear others thoughts on if it really is worth the time and effort to get my LTC. Tons of restrictions on where one can carry etc.

Thanks for any comments..

I'd spend some time reading up on it--I mean, you have Ayoob's book (forget the title now) and plenty of other material to consume, about why and how to carry. Plenty to mull over: would you use it, and when, and why, and are you ready to deal with the aftermath if you do.

I don't want to be dismissive of the course (especially since I have no idea what they go over) but there seems to be no lack of discussion on the better forums about how to carry and the consequences of carry. I would expect a course to gloss over some of that, if only to control class time.

Its not that much time or effort.
It saves you from having to have a background check when/if you purchase a weapon.
If you do choose to carry, a LEO can't just take your weapon.... he will need to have cause.
All the other moral/legal issues still apply.

I carry to protect my Wife and myself.
All others are on their own.

My wife and I have ours. It's called a CCW in my state, Ohio. In reality, we rarely carry but it's nice we have the option to. We carry when we go to temple as do many members. We are Jewish. I carry when I go to any car show/swap meets as I'll have cash on me.

“In The Gravest Extreme, the role of the firearm in personal protection” - Massad Ayoob.

A classic. Read it in college, so, over 35 years ago. Just as relevant today. I’ve even given it as a gift.

As far as the permit, yes, absolutely get it. So many potential issues that it helps you avoid, for example, carrying a gun in the car, which is considered concealed by some cops...

I’ve got a permit in three states. Covers most of the country.

Reactions: GON
Without the permits handguns concealed in vehicle … long guns can be in plain sight …
I carry something perceived as mild - like a .410 (when going remote) …

Always a good thing to have and keep current, even if you don't plan on using it. Never know when they'll decide to mess with the laws in your state and start not issuing them or making them harder to get.

I don't necessarily need mine, but I still think about going to get it renewed again just in case. Nice thing is, in GA, once you hit 10 years of LEO employment you're eligible for a 'Retired' badge which puts you under LEOSA for the rest of your life as long as you don't do something dumb.

Keep in mind many businesses and large chain restaurants don’t allow guns …
you might want to Google a current list.

They have to be clearly marked with a legal sign at the entrance.
If you happen to miss a sign.... and they ask you to leave and you do, no harm/no foul.

They have to have an official 30:06 sign. If they just have a "handguns not permitted" there's nothing they can do about a permit holder carrying concealed.

I've seen a few official 30:07 signs, simply meaning you can't open carry in their establishment, you have to keep your weapon concealed, which I always do. I never open carry.

I just signed up and am taking the online LTC with eagle gun range. I would really like to hear others thoughts on if it really is worth the time and effort to get my LTC. Tons of restrictions on where one can carry etc.

Thanks for any comments..
There are tons more restrictions on where one can carry if you don't have it.

I think it really depends on who your instructor is. Mine was an off duty LEO and was VERY informative. I’ve had mine for a while now. It’s got me out of a speeding ticket and it’s nice to have when you purchase new guns. It really speeds up the process.

Without the permits handguns concealed in vehicle … long guns can be in plain sight …
I carry something perceived as mild - like a .410 (when going remote) …
Just to be clear since we have people reading from every state. For instance, in IL the CCL does NOT permit you to carry a long gun. The carry law explicitly does not apply to long guns. Make sure you understand the law in your state and the law in any state you carry into.

I won’t carry, unless I can afford $750,000 worth of carry insurance. I can’t afford that insurance, so I don’t carry.

Just to be clear since we have people reading from every state. For instance, in IL the CCL does NOT permit you to carry a long gun. The carry law explicitly does not apply to long guns. Make sure you understand the law in your state and the law in any state you carry into.
I do … don’t need CCL to carry in a vehicle … just on a person which I don’t do …

Back