Is G-05, a good "one" coolant solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Today's modern green fluid is so low in silicates that I doubt you would suffer any issues in cars that require no silicates, or it would take 400k miles for an issue to develop.

But why take chances?

If the correct replacement is easily available why not stick with it. Zerex Asian is the best choice short of buying the stuff at the dealer.

Given that you can buy coolant similar to what came from the factory from Zerex and others, I am not sure its wise to switch to another chemistry coolant just to keep only one coolant on your shelf.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Today's modern green fluid is so low in silicates that I doubt you would suffer any issues in cars that require no silicates, or it would take 400k miles for an issue to develop.

But why take chances?

If the correct replacement is easily available why not stick with it. Zerex Asian is the best choice short of buying the stuff at the dealer.

Given that you can buy coolant similar to what came from the factory from Zerex and others, I am not sure its wise to switch to another chemistry coolant just to keep only one coolant on your shelf.

Is there anything that traditional green does better that G-05?

G-05 will be fine for all.
But stay at a 50/50 mix, more is waste.
(it wont freeze, more become like slush and that will clear up once some heat comes from the engine.)

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
But stay at a 50/50 mix, more is waste.(it wont freeze, more become like slush and that will clear up once some heat comes from the engine.)

This. In Georgia at least, I run even less coolant, and more water. I'd guess I stay between 60-70% water. Water is a better conductor of heat, and 30-40% coolant is enough to prevent rust, lubricate the water pump, and keep it from freezing.

(it wont freeze, more become like slush and that will clear up once some heat comes from the engine.)

Locally, our record extreme temperatures are -66°F(-54°C) and +96°F(+36°C).

Originally Posted By: akbrian

Wow, thats pretty intense. What time of year is that, and what is your 'average' temps?

Originally Posted By: KenO

Wow, thats pretty intense. What time of year is that, and what is your 'average' temps?

Typically, each winter we'll have at least one cold period in the -50°F(-46°C) range. A normal hot summer day would be +80°F(+27°C)

Would Xerox G-05 be a reasonable coolant to move all the vehicles too? Would there be a better choice? I use distilled water, so phosphate concerns don't seem to make much sense.

I've been using G-05 in a mixed fleet - Japanese, Korean, American - with good results.

I tried DexCool when it came out but ran into some problems with gasket failures on a Honda.

The amount of silicate in G-05 is very low and seems to cause no problems in the Asian vehicles. MB extends its life by putting a silicate package in the overflow tank - the silicate over time drops out of the solution - but for what it costs I just replace it at shorter intervals than MB.

I did double flushes of each vehicle with distilled water before switching coolants to ensure there were no interactions between G-05 and whatever was in the car before.

"Locally, our record extreme temperatures are -66°F(-54°C)"
Ouch.. well we have atleast been able to run a 50/50 mix at temperatures as low as -40c.
At these temperatures i wouldnt trust any vehicle and
would avoid to use it if im longer than 10 minutes (walking) from home/ work/ shelter...
The chance of a breakdown is extremely big at such low temperatures, ask any timber contractor when his equipment breaks down. It starts at temperatures below -20c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back