GM Coolant Alternatives for coolant intellectuals?

I am a long time user of CoolGard/CoolGardII and I can attest to its longevity as coolant samples come back "ok for continued use" even after the 6,000 hrs./6 years limit has been eclipsed.

The Deere coolant has to cover Deere's current lineup and its legacy engines, which it does. I have a very diverse lineup of old and new engines, with the older engines having copper/brass/solder throughout. It makes perfect economic sense for me to use CoolGard in everything, which I do other than a '15 PowerStroke, which doesn't need changed for quite sometime.

I probably run CoolGard/CoolGard II in 20 very different engines, without issue, which makes it much easier from a maintenance standpoint, if a hose fails no need to stock a special coolant as I already know I have CoolGard II on hand.

I have quite a few engines running it so it makes sense to buy the test strips, for only one engine its probably better just to change it in 6 years.
The strips are $25 but only have a shelf life of 14 mo.

STP Global extended life is an alternative that does not contain 2-EHA as well. Got a quick response from the company when asked. Dexcool I believe ruined the Coolant crossover gaskets in my Northstar Cadillac but I used it for 180,000 miles and 1 water pump and those gaskets are all that went wrong so can't complain too much.

I would stick with Dexcool or ANY of the DexCLONES that are available.

Just change it out time or mileage, whichever comes 1st. And, keep it topped off.

I bought a 2001 GMC in January, the previous owner had all the records. There is a receipt from 2012 for a radiator drain and refill with a note on the receipt saying that it was changed to green. Well the color of the coolant is exactly what you would expect if it were half Dexcool and half conventional green. So far no ill-effects! It's an old beater so I am not messing with it.

If Dexcool was not a superior coolant Ford wouldn't have switched to it and GM would not be entering it's third decade with it.

Originally Posted By: 3311
If Dexcool was not a superior cheaper coolant Ford wouldn't have switched to it and GM would not be entering it's third decade with it.

Fixed it for you.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: 3311
If Dexcool was not a superior cheaper coolant Ford wouldn't have switched to it and GM would not be entering it's third decade with it.

Fixed it for you.

Ed

Thanks but no, I had it correct the first time.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I replaced the plastic gaskets w metals one on my 02 s10, flushed and filled w supertech all makes 70% distilled water 30% coolant. Truck runs normal w zero issues. I replaced the FF dexcool in my 04 silverado and filled with Oreilly auto parts brand dexcool. Truck runs normal. Whatever u choose to use, just flush it completely first. Personally I wouldn't use anything but dexcool or dexclone if I were u. Let us know whatever u use.

The vehicle in question is a 2011 Silverado 2500 6.0 (gas).

And let me start by saying... YES.... I did a bunch of searching already and YES...I know I am going to get plenty of "just use Dexcool" responses....

But I am sorry, I can't help myself... I have to obsess over this, at least a little bit.

Having recently done a cooling system flush/maintenance/upgrade/etc to my wife's BMW and countless hours of coolant research for that project (which ultimately lead me back to BMW OEM coolant), my mind is much to overstimulated with coolant information to simply lie down and be run over by the Dexcool bus.

Here is what I find interesting....
With a little research there is vast information regarding the reasons BMW uses its specific G-48 coolant. For example moderate silicate content due to type of alloy block, phosphate free and Nitrite free, etc, etc. Mercedes also has fairly good information regarding the specific coolant (which either is or is similar to G-05) and plenty of substantiating evidence to stick with the factory formulations.

In short, I am quite impressed with both G-48 and G-05 coolants and they seem to work very well in the respective applications they are intended for. I have not read anything bad about either BMW coolant or Mercedes coolant, other than the cost and availability which drives people to search for alternatives.

And that bring us to GM and Dexcool... There are plenty of horror stories with Dexcool. Plenty of claims or ruining intake gaskets, head gaskets, brown sludge, corrosion, can't touch air, so on and so on...

AND YET, when I ask what I should run in my Silverado... I am going to get plenty of responses "just stick with Dexcool"

OK, fine.... why? Why should I use a coolant with a tarnished reputation? Tell me about the metallurgy of my heads and radiator and how Dexcool is the only formulation that can resist corrosion... Or that the specific formulation is designed to reduce cavitation around the cylinder liners like a diesel... or maybe that the cooling system is inadequate so Dexcool has super duper heat transfer technology that makes it more efficient...

Doesn't anyone think that maybe one of these other coolants is better? Or is it that since it a GM, nobody really cares?

I will tell you that my distrust for Dexcool is stemming from flushing the coolant in my diesel genset. I had put in Dexcool, since I had a couple of jugs laying around, figuring that it would probably be better than old school green. I later learned this is not true, and had been meaning to change it for a couple years, but I will say the the Prestone Dexcool bottle says good for all other vehicles (or something like that). You would not believe the sludge, rust and stuff that was growing... YES growing, in the cooling system. Really disappointing....I would have been better off with Seawater, at least I would have had a reason for jellyfish to be in there!

Clint
Most of the controversy surrounding Dexcool has to do with the fact that it contains 2-eha as an anti-corrosion agent, which can react with certain seals and dissolve them over time. This issue only seemed to affect older GM vehicles and newer ones are more or less immune. If you are concerned, Peak Global Lifetime may be a good substitute. It is an OAT coolant like Dexcool, but without the 2-eha. I know you mentioned the G48 and G05 coolants, but I would avoid those since they are both HOAT coolants and you don't want to introduce that into a system containing OAT. Otherwise a reaction could occur that could cause a gelatinous substance to plug up the system.

Nothing wrong with Dex-Cool or Prestone as long as the gaskets can handle it.

if you want to switch away from 2-EHA and decoanate chemistry, a Japanese pHOAT like Zerex Asian or any of the OEM Toyota/Honda coolants can work well here.

Nice necro bump. I also have researched this extensively and DexCool is actually an amazing coolant and why so many use it now or a similar OAT variety.

To me, it's staggering to think about how many cars/trucks are running around right now with Dexcool. Is tens of millions too small???
Yeah, I'd say they have it worked out...

Back