Is Ford Ecoboost used outside the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Down Under they used to have a supercharged in-line six that was way cool. Never made it to NA.

It's turbocharged, not supercharged. Still in production...but not for much longer.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
So it looks like most of the inline models but not the V6 2.7 or 3.5. Anyone care to speculate why?

We will get the V6's eventually. At the moment, Ford Oz has its own (inline) 6 cylinder engine, so has no need for the 2.7 and 3.5 EcoBoost. Once Falcon/Territory production ceases at the end of the year, Ford Oz will likely import things like Flex, and we'll see the bigger EB's.

Mustang doesn't have the V6 option here. We get the 2.3 or the 5.0, but as bcardinal mentioned, the vast majority of sales go to the 5.0. I don't think the V6 would be popular either.

As for things like F150 (not officially imported), nobody here buys a vehicle like that with a petrol engine - it's diesel all the way.

Yep I think it's global now.
Our Falcon has an option to swap the 4.0 inline 6 for the 2.0 I4 ecoboost (but why would you want to?!) The 2.3 ecoboost Mustang is sold here although in smaller numbers than Ford expected since 90% of all new and ordered Mustangs in Australia are for the V8!
The Fiesta also gets the 1.5 ecoboost here

Originally Posted By: hpb
Shannow said Falcon was the first Oz platform to have 4, 6 and 8 cylinders...VB Commodore was based on an Opel platform.

Yeah, I meant the first OZ FORD platform to be 4, 6, and 8.

The second part was that used to be GM's forte

Dang, missed out a single intended word, and attacked by my countrymen...
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Shannow said Falcon was the first Oz platform to have 4, 6 and 8 cylinders...VB Commodore was based on an Opel platform.

spankme2.gif

Ford and Holden mate, bigger fights have started over smaller things.

Lol, now I'm almost too scared to correct 19jacobob93, but here goes anyway! The 1.5 in Fiesta is naturally aspirated, not EcoBoost. The 1.0 and the 1.6 engines are EcoBoost. Focus, however, runs a 1.5 EB. It's confusing, I know!

For the Australia people. Would it be fair to say that a V6 EB has limited appeal?

When I looked at the AU Ford website it seemed that you could only get the pickup with a diesel. Gasoline was not even an option (I may have missed it).

If the V6 EB came there do you think it would be a car only engine used in higher end offerings (higher HP)?

V6 EB would have almost zero appeal in a commercial application. As you saw, we only get the Ranger with a diesel engine, no petrol option, because the superior fuel efficiency of the diesel, combined with our high fuel prices, makes it a no brainer. If we had fuel prices like the US, maybe things would be different.

In a passenger car situation, like I said before, once the Oz inline 6 ceases to exist at the end of this year, the V6 EB is a sure thing to replace it. It's highly likely we'll get Edge to replace Territory, but again, the diesel option is very popular in Territory, so as a petrol engine only, Edge may struggle here.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: Shannow

spankme2.gif

Ford and Holden mate, bigger fights have started over smaller things.

Sorry guys, I didn't realise we were "fighting" over it...I was agreeing with Shannow and clarifying that Toranas and Commodores weren't Oz platforms. Back to my cupboard now!
smile.gif

There are a lot of engines with the EcoBoost moniker.

As has been stated, there are I3, I4 and V6 offerings.

It wouldn't shock me if the I3 and I4 EcoBoost engines were FIRST offered in Europe and then introduced here.

I'm not saying that's what has happened. Just saying it wouldn't surprise me if that's how it came about.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You realize European lineups have had small turbo engines for decades, right? We're behind over here.

Yes. My interest is only in the Ford Ecoboost. I am just curious how their usage in other parts of the world compared to the USA.

Forgive me I am not up to date in what engines Ford uses in the world wide market.
Do they use the Ecoboost design outside of the USA in any numbers? If so what displacements are used/popular?

Thanks

Ford actually introduced turbo engines last in the U.S. They came online first in Europe, since downsizing trend is going on over there since mid 90's. VW for example introduced 1.8T engine in 1996, while Ford and Opel (GM) in Europe competed with 2.0ltr 4cyl naturally aspirated engines. VW was pushing hard this downsizing and rest fallowed . When VW rolled out 2.0TFSI engine it was writing on the wall where technology is going. Then they had 1.4 compressor and turbo, 1.2TSI, and Ford and Opel started to catch up. I still think Opel and Ford are behind the curve when you compare them to VW and BMW (even MB decided to come to the game late).
Someone asked why not 2.7 and 3.5ltr engines in rest of the world.
Two answers.
1. Gas prices. I know how things work in EU. High gas prices, love for diesel engines.
2. High tax on large displacement engines and heavy equipment. While F-150 makes some sense here (although not sure how many people are using those truck for what they are made for), in EU they would take too much space, had issues with parking. As you can witness even in the US businesses are moving to EU based commercial vehicles such as Ford Transit etc.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Focus (apart from the ST) is now only available here with the 1.5 EB engine.

Does your Fiesta ST have the same 1.6 EcoBoost that we get in ours?

Yep, sure does.

http://www.ford.com.au/cars/fiesta-st

I HATE YOU antipodes peeps! (j/k)
You get the EURO 2 door version that Ford refuses to give us here in the state.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Lol. Yeah, we get the steering wheel on the correct side too! I've read on here before someone (you?) bemoaning the fact the US only gets the 4 door version...sorry 'bout that!

Lol. Yeah, we get the steering wheel on the correct side too! I've read on here before someone (you?) bemoaning the fact the US only gets the 4 door version...sorry 'bout that!

Yes, guilty as charged (it was me).

It just looks SOOOOO much better dimensionally than our goofy 4 door version, and is also the configuration used for the WRC cars.
19.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Yes, guilty as charged (it was me).

It just looks SOOOOO much better dimensionally than our goofy 4 door version, and is also the configuration used for the WRC cars.
19.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And here I am just wanting a Falcon. Might have to put my job in jeopardy and get a Chevy SS/Commodore.

I've worked at a couple of Ford dealers over the years, and anyone who wanted to buy a Holden without endangering their job would buy a low mileage used trade-in off the lot - they got their Holden, the dealer got a sale, everyone wins!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
And here I am just wanting a Falcon. Might have to put my job in jeopardy and get a Chevy SS/Commodore.

Those are cool with their LS3s and TR6060 'box, and you lose the heat-soaking huffer, and the AFM/DOD garbage of the current CTS-V's LT4, a WIN WIN!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back