Is Esso XD-3 0W-30/0W-40 still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a bit of a silly question, but a few weeks ago I saw a discussion start about Mobil 1, and how they are not as open as before about their oil, and apparently won’t even discuss the base stock any more. I don’t know exactly, because I only read the thread quickly.

For me that is a non-starter, and any one who won’t tell me what is actually in their product, they get don’t get my business. It is too bad, since we used Mobil 1, before I found out of Esso XD-3.

I am basically asking, because Esso is owned by Exxon Mobil, and lately I haven’t had time to read this forum, so I don’t know if these “changes” (haven’t had time to read much lately, so I’m not sure if it is just talk) are for Mobil or corporate wide.

Why is this an issue for me? Oil change time is coming, and I need to buy the oil in a few weeks.

We don't know if the formula has changed for the XD-3 also.A virgin oil test would let us know.If it goes the way of Mobil 1 I will still use it.Dollar wise it's still a bargin for me and my Jeeps run great on it.

Even if it turns out they've changed to a group 3, it's still a few dollars less than the other group 3's out there. I think the additives make this a good oil, not the base stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back