Is CPVC pipe a ticking time bomb?

Could not cut it with a hand squeeze cutter as it would shatter unlike the new pipe which was still flexible.

So whats your opinion on Cpvc pipe. is it good stuff or junk?

CPVC pipe is fine. Just don't try to cut it with a hand squeeze cutter (which IMO is a dumb idea for any hard plastic item). I use a hand saw. I am also using a homemade wooden template so that my cuts are nice.

CPVC pipe is fine. Just don't try to cut it with a hand squeeze cutter (which IMO is a dumb idea for any hard plastic item). I use a hand saw. I am also using a homemade wooden template so that my cuts are nice.
that is odd. it cut the new pipe with no issue. nice and square. on the glue, it was yellow glue that was original and we redid it with yellow glue. repiping his house will be expensive as its 2 levels with shower and stuff on top.

If PEX is so great then why is it not approved for Commercial?
Used a ton in commercial in MN. About the only place I don't see it used is in hydronic systems in commercial, that's still pretty much copper for the most part. Domestic water they use PEX any chance they can.

What? Those SharkBite fittings aren't going to last 100 years? :eek:

I replaced a few that were at least 15 years old. They're only supposed to last 10.

With that said, I just redid most of the plumbing in my house. I made an access panel to the crawlspace (about 3'x5') where most of the plumbing is. All the shark bites are in there; if I have any issues it will be with the accessible pieces that will have aged out.

But pex is just awesome. Especially for older houses and people who don't want to burn their house down soldering --- me.

I replaced a few that were at least 15 years old. They're only supposed to last 10.

With that said, I just redid most of the plumbing in my house. I made an access panel to the crawlspace (about 3'x5') where most of the plumbing is. All the shark bites are in there; if I have any issues it will be with the accessible pieces that will have aged out.

But pex is just awesome. Especially for older houses and people who don't want to burn their house down soldering --- me.

10 year design life?!?

Is that stated somewhere?

Ive never used one, and don’t have any in my house, but that’s downright scary. Who knows how many of these things are behind peoples’ walls..

10 year design life?!?

Is that stated somewhere?

Ive never used one, and don’t have any in my house, but that’s downright scary. Who knows how many of these things are behind peoples’ walls..

The standard sharkbite that just slides over copper/pex/cpvc are warrantied to last 10 years and you are not supposed to place them in a wall. They can (and do) last much longer, but they are not supposed to be used inside of a wall or anywhere inaccessible. The sharkbite brass fittings, pex lines, etc do not have a shelf life and can be used inside a wall. I used brass fittings and crimps where I had to put lines and junctions in inaccessible spots.

Ecopex sharkbites are reated for 30 years and can be used in a wall cavity.

I plumbed a small office in 1980, 40 years ago with CPVC. It has never had a leak.

I also used it 17 years ago for an addition for my house and no leaks either.

If done correctly it will last but I have seen a lot of all types of plastic pipe gluing that looks like a five year old did it with no training.

Back