Is Cosmoline closest to GM frame wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck is very clean with no rust, maybe one or 2 very small spots of surface rust but that is it. Other than that chassis looks new. Been looking at some options so far the RP342 and the new blaster surface shield are likely going to be the next coating I use. It seems like that they (blaster corporation) may have finally come up with something that’s lanolin hard but actually hangs around like woolwax but isn’t as permanent as cosmoline

Last edited:
I'm using the Blaster also. It's tougher than the fluid film and doesn't smell as bad. But it's like a sticky mouse trap. Catches everything LOL

Does it seem to adhere better against water spray than the FF? My other thoughts were to maybe do RP342 on the outside of the chassis, and FF/NHOU on the inside of the frame

Hey there,
Don't mean to revive an old thread, but I'm highly considering using 342 on our vehicles. After a couple winters, have you been able to definitevely tell whether or not rust is progressing and/or coming through the 342?

I’ve been using it for 4 years on 4 different vehicles. In my opinion it’s the best choice for newer vehicles or ones with less rust. My 2012 Pilot imported from Florida had almost no rust. Its well preserved with 2 coats. No maintenance required in the past 2 winters. Any surface rust completely stopped. It’s maintenance free and it stays clean underneath. The 2006 Escalade had more rust. Frame is good, needs a small spray here and there. I would not say it’s progressing, but it does bleed red occasionally in a couple areas. Worse off are the Nissans. They had significant rust to begin with. They keep requiring respray especially in the seams. The 03 Maxima just got the black version. Mainly to hide the rust better. For now it looks good. I’m sure next summer it will be bleeding from somewhere. I think its a little too thick to penetrate deep rust enough to choke it off. Definitely slows it down. I think when it gets to the point that you have chips, you’re better off with thinner visc oil spray for better penetration. I do have an oil sprayed car in the family. Similar to cosmoline it has some bleeding in the splash zones. Need to touch them up every few months. Then spray the whole undercarriage before every winter. Oil sprays are messy and require constant maintenance. Cosmoline is a lot less maintenance. A lot less mess. But it’s performances not as good on heavy rust as oil. Hope that makes sense.

Also worth mentioning is has no effect on rubber bushings. The oil sprayed Malibu’s bushings are swollen like mushrooms.

Good ole Rustoleum paint on my last frame and rear axle housing paint. Takes a while to dry but after it’s there for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back