Is car performance "maxed out"?

With EV's and their incredible acceleration breaking loose the most grippe summer tires, have we maxed out off the line acceleration?

Not exactly but we're almost out of the remaining diminishing returns we can squeeze out because of physics and are about to hit the wall. I think there is still a little more to give though it's very little and impractical to try to achieve. So theoretically no but practically yes.

Top fuel's can go to 60 in half a second but if you do the math in comparison to something that does it in 2 seconds it looks really bad.

Seen this question over my life several times, and engineers continue to push the envelope. No...it will continue to improve.

We are getting quite close. It's interesting that the Plaid does not make a full 1100 HP until about 60MPH (it seems that's about what they make) , although it does produce full torque from the start, limited only by traction.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
No we are not maxed out by any means. As long as there are gas powered vehicles the manufactures add more hp every year to sweeten the pot. They want to make the money from everything produced and if it takes 5 additional hp each year it will be done. Amen BITOG brotha's.

Speaking only about ICE vehicles, I came to terms with and accepted the fact that cars would never be as fast as they were from about 1955 (and got progressively faster) until around 1970/71. I was right (for about 2decades) until about the early to mid nineties when mfgrs started wringing more HP from their engines that I never imagined possible in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s. IMO faster affordable cars for the masses will never come back and those with deep pockets will be the only ones able to afford the latest and greatest (in limited numbers) :insanely powerful forced induction cars from the current mfrs.

No we are not maxed out by any means. As long as there are gas powered vehicles the manufactures add more hp every year to sweeten the pot. They want to make the money from everything produced and if it takes 5 additional hp each year it will be done. Amen BITOG brotha's.
Cervical spine surgeries will be on the increase in the coming years.
The 0-60 acceleration of the Plaid is roughly equivalent to the braking action. Right about 1.2G. That's probably a tire limitation, as the Plaid creates a few percent of slip on all 4 tires.

Anyway, in a car, we tend to perceive acceleration and deceleration differently. And 3G of acceleration in an airplane, entirely differently.

It is deja vu to to see this question posted. I have seen it asked many times in the last 30 years. Long before the Plaid. Long before the Veyron. Before the Ariel Atom. Even before the Viper, people have been speculating that cars cannot get any quicker. We talk about the limits of tires being able to hook up, and all kinds of other things. But they keep getting quicker.

It has been a wild ride, watching cars that keep exceeding, what is perceived to be the limit. Personally, I plan on continuing to watch.

For the very top peak performance, the gains will be so marginally small, that it’s not important, but the fancy tech will drip down to consumer cars. Sure, the fastest production cars won’t be crossing 300mph probably ever, but I do expect 400hp Camries in the future (barring government intervention)

The 0-60 acceleration of the Plaid is roughly equivalent to the braking action. Right about 1.2G. That's probably a tire limitation, as the Plaid creates a few percent of slip on all 4 tires.

Anyway, in a car, we tend to perceive acceleration and deceleration differently. And 3G of acceleration in an airplane, entirely differently.

See this is how I took it. We're at pinnacle 0-60 performance as far as mechanical grip is concerned. Horsepower isn't a problem in the Plaid. More would not equal a faster time as all 1020hp is not available before 60 because the tires can't handle it. If it did allow all power and no limitation it would just take off in a massive 4 wheel burnout which actually would be awesome to experience.

Back