Is anyone on their last car/truck

I'm hoping not to have to buy another car. I like what I have, it suits me, it's paid for, it's in good condition, and I don't drive very much ... didn't before the pandemic, either. I'm somewhat fussy about maintenance, so it should last a long while with the care it receives.

I'd like to make one more cross country trip, and the car I have should do that easily.

I’m only 46, and plan on my 1990 Toyota 4x4 lasting me possibly till I’m gone. It’s so easy to keep it going and I keep the undercarriage wool waxed every winter. As for my summer only vehicle 1994 ford e150 I plan on it also being one of my last vehicles. At only 33,000 miles and absolutely no rust it’s as good as new. Now the 2015 Toyota Yaris I suspect will last quiet a while too.the 09 Pontiac vibe AKA Toyota Matrix is for sale now.

and you own a R1? What kind of 46 year old are you ? Lol

I am curious if anyone is on their last vehicle. Basically given your age you don't think you will be getting another vehicle. If so how did you come to that conclusion and does that change how you maintain the vehicle.
I'm 70. My 03 century has 93k. I'm trying to make sure it last as long as I need a car.

Maybe. Not sure yet. I know I specifically bought a Tacoma with the intent of it being my last NEW vehicle, so I figured I better get a good one.

I'm in my 40's so... nope.

I actually might start buying more often, it's been fun keeping things going, but I'm not sure it's as enjoyable as it was. Really comes down to a money thing--if I can save enough while driving a vehicle of choice, and can afford to change... why not? Can't take it with me when I go. I think that, deep down, I actually do like cars--I can't go more than six months without doing some window shopping.

When I get closer to the end I suspect I'll want a autonomous vehicle. If not fully then one with lots of support for my failing senses.

Funny... My dad bought his first car, a 1933 Plymouth PD DeLuxe, when he was 14. He'll be 78 this spring, and he still drives that car. It's obviously not his only car, but it existed before him, and it will be around after he's gone.

I'm 86. Driving a couple of 3 wheelers and and a 21 year old Ranger with 76K on it. Have had other cars in past 20 years which counts for the few miles on it. A year ago I had my wife pick out her own vehicle. She chose an Audi. Its "her'" car but I get to drive it now and then. Primary maintenance is paid for through 40K miles which should last us a lifetime. I'm used to the simplicity of the old truck and actually enjoy driving it and have kept the maintenance up. I can do oil/filter changes on all but the truck: $30 once a year for syn blend and filter is hard to beat. I've done the Audi once with an evacuator; its yet to see 10K when the dealer will do it . The canister filter is on top and easy to do like the Slingshot with its 2.4L GM motor. I'll do the Can Am once more this spring with Amsoil and a new OEM filter and that will likely be the last as I don't ride it all that much any more. Its been a hoot but I just might have to get one more new car. :D

I turned 64 last month; I’m never selling the Club Sport and I’d only replace the TJ with a Rubicon 392. I’m keeping the Clubman until my term ends in 2024.
Currently I'm considering a replacement for the 2 Series- either a new Supra 3.0 or else a used M2 Comp, M4 Comp, or RWD F-Type R. I sincerely hope it isn’t my last car; there’s always something faster to aspire to!

Last edited:
That negative thinking will definately shorten your life
I'm eternally optimistic, but at the same time quite realistic. Am 50, have battled asthma/allergies since birth, on a debilitating level for 21 yrs now. 2.5 yrs ago out of nowhere I developed a rare/severe strain of meningitis (cryptococcal) that wiped out my hearing, balance, caused 2 small strokes along with many other issues. For awhile I was concerned it would affect my passion for driving due to the extreme vertigo from losing hearing as that affects balance tremendously. Just kept forging ahead, refusing to be beaten by that or any other illness and really pushed to get my car paid off. Even though I've recovered drastically and have the car paid for, I plan to keep it in the very best mechanical/cosmetic shape possible given my health and will definitely say it's the last car I plan to own. For one thing, I **** sure don't miss having a car payment and the car has been superb since the first day of owning it and honestly have never found a single thing I'd like to change about it. Absolutely no reason to not want to drive it until the 'end of days'...

i hope to be on last 2 trucks . one is 2003 with only 70k and no 2 is 99 with 91k and i am 65 . tundra and silverado

I was thinking many seniors might want all the new safety features like automatic braking, blind spot detection, pedestrian detection etc.
I was thinking they might want something fast like a Hellcat, GT500, Porsche Turbo, etc. With not much time left, they would want to get where they are going as quick as possible.

I don't understand why this is considered a depressing question for a thread. The only sure things in life are taxes and death.
I'm in my mid 30's, and this just seems to be a realistic discussion. I'd like to think I have many more vehicles ahead of me, but I may have none. That is all any of us can know for sure.

I sure as hell drive it like its my last...

I'm approaching 70 and have three excellent cars: my daily driver that averages 50k-55k miles a year; my weekend car that averages less than 10k miles a year; and a third which I'm letting my sister use while she saves money for a truck or a garage (I tell her she wants a truck but really needs a garage).

I read some of the car mags and I know what new stuff is out there, but I'm not really interested. Maybe if I win a lottery jackpot, then I'll get a toy but it would probably be an older Porsche or maybe a Cobra replica. But if I buy another vehicle then it might also be a motorcycle (assuming I stay healthy enough to ride).

Not because I'm close to death [60s], but because I will not feed the beast with another vehicle purchase. I like what I have. I maintain them. I don't like the new ones with their black hole interiors, tiny windows, intrusive electronics, half baked not ready for prime time tech rushed in to meet EPA #s and Government mandates and fat pillars everywhere.
No debt for over a decade in the form of auto, mortgage or credit card and I will not play the game ever again. So yeah, unless the car gets wiped out, not going there.
Dropped out and tuned in. Eff em.

I had to hit the "reset button" on my rides when I lost everything in the epic Harvey flood. I own two almost new vehicles, a 2017 Ford Fiesta (29K miles) and a 2019 RAM (12K miles). I also have a 2004 Avalanche (220K miles) I use for work. So now at 57 I sometimes think about this, and I am highly confident I will buy more vehicles later in life, but I want to delay any new purchases as long as possible.

With that said, I try to conserve the Fiesta and RAM as much as possible by driving the Avalanche everywhere I can. Every mile I can keep off the new cars will pay off.

I am on my last car. When it dies, I retire and move to some warmer and poorer place. Maybe I'll get another car there, but it needs to be a pure off roader, good wading depth etc...

Should have another 8 to 10 years though.

Wait what? Are you really basing your retirement and location on how long your current car lasts or just saying you're keeping it until you retire?

I'm 64 and gainfully unemployeed and wife has a year to go and our vehicle situation is in flux right now. We recently sold a 2014 RAV4 we bought new and daily drive the 02 Xterra. The '18 Titan was bought with the idea to pull a travel trailer and we bought one in December that should have been well within the limits of the Titan but I don't like how the Titan acts towing it. The tranny gearing and programming have it in 4th gear revving at 2900 on flat ground at 65. For me intolerable for a 5.6 V8 with 400 hp and 400 lb/ft torque and a 6000 lb trailer. So something else is on the horizon. And the Xterra won't last forever. The next truck might be the last truck and the boss thinks something electric should replace the X someday. It doesn't really get offroad so we'll see.

Back