Is anybody else a Vornado...fan?

We have an older home that lacks modern insulation and it gets HOT during the afternoon into the evening in the summer, even with the A/C on. Having a fan that is easy to move from room to room does a lot to keep us comfortable. We currently have a Vornado 6303 mid size air circulator that does a fantastic job moving air around the room.

We have family coming to stay with us next month and decided to pick up another Vornado so we can have portable fans in both bedrooms. As usual before purchasing a new product I did some research and came across the DC line of Vornado fans. They use brushless motors that are around 80% more efficient than the other models and operate more quietly. I went ahead and ordered a Vornado 6303-DC model from Bed Bath and Beyond and used a 20% off coupon that brought the price down from $140 to $112. Another bonus with this model is that it comes with a remote control and has 99 fan speeds instead of 3.

Looking forward to trying out the new model! This will be our 3rd Vornado, so far we have loved their products. Is anybody else a Vornado fan? Pun intended.

Attachments

• 6303dc-white-Hero-1.jpg
    6303dc-white-Hero-1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 19
Are those big fans or small fans? I've never seen one before. I have to sleep with a fan on for the noise. If it's too quiet I cant sleep. My gf's freight train snoring actually puts me to sleep haha! I have one of those huge loud commercial grade shop floor fans. I have to have it good and loud!:D

99 fan speeds is a crazy ammount.

I have a fan from the 1990s I believe, its a black vornado fan , still works, and lived through so many people

Reactions: JC1
Are those big fans or small fans? I've never seen one before. I have to sleep with a fan on for the noise. If it's too quiet I cant sleep. My gf's freight train snoring actually puts me to sleep haha! I have one of those huge loud commercial grade shop floor fans. I have to have it good and loud!:D
These are relatively small. I believe this mode is 14 inches. They are designed well and can be placed in most spaces easily, but pack quite a punch in airflow. All while staying very quiet.

99 fan speeds is a crazy ammount.

I have a fan from the 1990s I believe, its a black vornado fan , still works, and lived through so many people
They call it variable speed but yes, it has speed 1-99.

No fans here but I turn the ac to 67 in our room at bedtime and use a white noise sound machine. How loud is that new DC Vornado?

Reactions: Bud
My parents and my sister keep one at their houses for when I come to visit, but they're 6 to 8 years old. Don't really see anything special enough about them to cost over $100. But they're 3-speed AC. That's almost what I paid for my 31" barrel shop fan.

That's right at the price of a 5k btu window a/c unit. If I had $150 to spend with the goal of making a hot house more comfortable, I'd get a small a/c unit and stick it in the living room or somewhere else you spend time that's too warm, and take some of the load off the main a/c. I think you'd be far more comfortable with a $15 fan and a $135 a/c unit than a $150 fan, and the electricity costs to run a small window a/c should be minimal. (I'm assuming you have central a/c; can that not keep up in the evening? Where do you keep it set?)

That's right at the price of a 5k btu window a/c unit. If I had $150 to spend with the goal of making a hot house more comfortable, I'd get a small a/c unit and stick it in the living room or somewhere else you spend time that's too warm, and take some of the load off the main a/c. I think you'd be far more comfortable with a $15 fan and a $135 a/c unit than a $150 fan, and the electricity costs to run a small window a/c should be minimal. (I'm assuming you have central a/c; can that not keep up in the evening? Where do you keep it set?)
You make a good point but would prefer not to have a window unit for a variety of reasons. Yes, we have central a/c. The unit seems to be undersized though, between that and 60 year old duct work / lack of insulation it just can't keep up.

Reactions: JC1
I got a Vornado for free, scrounged it next to a dumpster. Obviously used in a hair salon, the motor shaft was wound so tight with hair it wouldn't turn. Half-hour with a knife, and some motor oil, good as new. I bought a different Vornado several years ago, but it has a cheap, shaded-pole motor.

I've read some reviews of the DC ones - people don't like the noise the motor makes. Classic Vornado (with oil bushings) has a low volume 60Hz sine-wave hum. I don't think they make those anymore. Also, I don't care about the efficiency, and most people shouldn't, in such a small motor. It's marketing.

I use it for circulating air into the bedroom; otherwise it gets too hot and the rest of the house is cool. Very quiet.

Vornado used to be a brand of Two Guys From Harrison discount department stores. The rights to Vornado were acquired by Two Guys in 1959 from O.A. Sutton Corporation, which after the war had started manufacturing a line of fans utilizing aircraft propeller designs.

The stores are long gone but the company that owned them still uses the Vornado name. Two Guys transitioned out of the retail market, closing all stores by 1982, and became the Vornado Realty Trust. Rights to the appliance brand name were sold off in 1989 and Vornado fans returned to the market under new ownership.

And that, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story. (Of course none of this will be of any interest to those too young to remember Two Guys. ;))

I still use my vintage Vornado fan from my grandmother. It has to be over 60 years old. Works very well. I rewired it some years ago and oil the motor every couple years.. Buy quality and it will last for generations.

Last edited:
My brother had a big freestanding one and loved it. His apartment is small but long, A/C used to only be at one end so this was his attempt at cooling the other end. Helped a lot, but wasn't good enough. We had a mini-split installed.

Are you sure your A/C unit is healthy? You can use a thermometer to check the difference of the return and supply vents.

I live with my grandfather to help take care of him, the house is a red brick built in 1949. He bought it in 1972 and said it didn't have A/C when he bought it, only a swamp cooler. I don't think the duct work is up to par, and the A/C unit is 16-1/2 years old but runs like a champ. The back 2 bedrooms are warmer than the rest of the house. The living room is warm on one end. The kitchen has a tiny vent too, the whole house needs the ducts completely redesigned.

I have a 5k BTU portable A/C unit in my bedroom so I keep it at 69 degrees. It's annoyingly loud but worth it to me.

I had a Vornado fan in a small house that didn't have air conditioning. I was impressed by the Vornado's ability to move air quietly throughout the house. I would buy another one in an instant. I just remember how quiet and effective it was.

I am thinking I should buy one for my bedroom since it gets pretty stuffy. Vornado has a made in the USA line too.

I bought a 3-speed pedestal vornado fan from Woot! 10 years or so ago (before amazon acquired them and ruined them).

It works well and I've used it many times. I've used it mostly to circulate air and speed up drying of paint, drywall, etc..

Never used that model
Funny i too need a fan on at night to sleep and I have these back in the day $20 basic
fans that are like 30 years old- no service no nothing and they keep on going.

I had a Vornado fan in a small house that didn't have air conditioning. I was impressed by the Vornado's ability to move air quietly throughout the house. I would buy another one in an instant. I just remember how quiet and effective it was.

I am thinking I should buy one for my bedroom since it gets pretty stuffy. Vornado has a made in the USA line too.
Interesting!

Back