Is Amsoil SVG worth it

Just by the way the differential and axle housing is designed removing the cover and draining it still leaves quite a bit of gear oil behind. Gear oil remains in the axle tubes, and depending on how level or unlevel the vehicle was when it was drained a decent amount can remain. It wouldn't take too much gear oil remaining to turn the color or darken the fresh fill somewhat pretty quick.

Late entry for post 299 above: Their claim about using the oil filter that is supposed to last 25000 miles is a complete sham. I tried it, and the oil came out very dirty. It took two more oil changes of short duration (3000 miles or so) to get the dirty oil out of the crank case.

I put in SVG 75w90 three years ago because of it cold temp specs. Although I have to wonder about a -40 brooksfield viscosity of 61,940 and having a pour point of -45f?🧐
Valvoline does not give a -40 viscosity.
Plus I would like it if everyone would give a -20c viscosity number.

Most 75w90 have a -40 viscosity that is a little over 100,000 like Delo XDM at 109,000 and which also has a pour point of -54f. Started using that for my tractor.

Right now I’m trying to find decent alternatives for 75w-140…🤷‍♂️ May go with Amsoil for that as well.

I tried SVG 75W-110 3 times in my diff, and it made noise. Somehow my toyota diff doesnt like it. I now use Toyota 85W-90 mineral LSD gear oil, the diff is now quiet.

Seems odd but what Toyota and differential?
Toyota Soarer , same as supra mk3. I also have an odd observation about the amsoil SVG I bought. When pouring it into my container i noticed several "cotton" like shapes in the fluid. When i tried to touch the "cotton" it dispersed. It gave me the impression that it was either wax or additives out of suspension. I wonder if the local AMSOIL dealer is selling fake AMSOIL...

Toyota Soarer , same as supra mk3. I also have an odd observation about the amsoil SVG I bought. When pouring it into my container i noticed several "cotton" like shapes in the fluid. When i tried to touch the "cotton" it dispersed. It gave me the impression that it was either wax or additives out of suspension. I wonder if the local AMSOIL dealer is selling fake AMSOIL...
Who did you buy it from?

Its not very far from where I live.
1675780886766.png

Initially I chalked it to bad gear setup or damaged gears. But 3 times is a little too much. The whole oil turned dark within a few hundred km, whereas the toyota fluid retained its greenish hue. I still have the last blackened AMSOIL gear oil in a container.

Last edited:

Its not very far from where I live.
View attachment 139264
Initially I chalked it to bad gear setup or damaged gears. But 3 times is a little too much. The whole oil turned dark within a few hundred km, whereas the toyota fluid retained its greenish hue. I still have the last blackened AMSOIL gear oil in a container.
I can look up and see that it looks like that is the Malaysia authorized distributor. But beyond that, no idea.

Dark in a few hundred KM - yeah something isn't right.

Amsoil SVG (75W90) is $17.29
Valvoline 75W90 at Walmart is $15.12 (at least at my Walmart)

That is a rather insignificant price difference for something that is changed so infrequently (4-5 years).

Of interest though, that 540Rat guy had a specific comparison on his page with these two gear lubes and he failed the Amsoil and approved of the Valvoline. Whether that means anything in the real world or not I do not know. It's just one more speck of data.
For only $2.00 difference it would be a no brainer for an oil that will be in the diff for years. What's $2.00 one cup of coffee??

For only $2.00 difference it would be a no brainer for an oil that will be in the diff for years. What's $2.00 one cup of coffee??

1 qt of Amsoil SVG shipped to my door is $33.64

Valvoline Synthetic from Walmart picked through AAP is $16.18

It might be worth it at $2 but is it worth it at 2x the price?

1 qt of Amsoil SVG shipped to my door is $33.64

Valvoline Synthetic from Walmart picked through AAP is $16.18

It might be worth it at $2 but is it worth it at 2x the price?
I think you need to smart about buying from Amsoil and be a preferred buyer then order $100 to get free shipping.

I order enough to change all the transmission and gear oils.

I tried SVG 75W-110 3 times in my diff, and it made noise. Somehow my toyota diff doesnt like it. I now use Toyota 85W-90 mineral LSD gear oil, the diff is now quiet.
I also had this experience with my 08 F-150 that called for 75w-140, I had about 50,000mi on the truck and ordered SG 75w-140 directly from Amsoil, a couple months later it really started making some noise when turning, I then ordered Amsoils diff lock additive and added to it and still could not get it to go away, it actually got quite bad to the point that I had to get it out of there and see what was going on, I ended up draining it, looking around in there and could not see anything wrong, picked up 4 qts of Schaeffers 75w-140xp from a Napa that carried it around me and the noise honestly went away in about 50 miles and never came back. I’m not a Schaeffers pusher and am not knocking Amsoil, I truly believe they make great products, but what ever it was about the Severe Gear and that Ford Limited Slip did not get along in my case and just curious if anyone else ever had that issue with it?
I did e-mail Amsoil after changing it out and stating that another brand lube made the noise go away, but never did get a response.

Late entry for post 299 above: Their claim about using the oil filter that is supposed to last 25000 miles is a complete sham. I tried it, and the oil came out very dirty. It took two more oil changes of short duration (3000 miles or so) to get the dirty oil out of the crank case.
Did you take an oil sample and get an insolubles test and an ISO particle count? Visual tests do not tell you the condition of an oil, and without these two tests you have no data with which to claim the Amsoil filter didn’t do its job. There are several people here who have gotten particle counts (along with the ISO4548-12 test results) that show Amsoil sells very good filters in the EaO line.

If you have a posi lock the oil will get dark because of the clutch material.
Drained the FF out of my Ram at 5700 miles. It has a LSD rear (with clutches) - oil was clean.

So while I believe Amsoil SVG gear oils are top notch I am beginning to wonder if they are worth the extra cost.

Had the rear diff gear oil changed in my F250 recently. The Indy shop guy said it was dark and needed to be changed. Front diff was changed also but he said it was not dark like the rear diff. I am not in 4WD mode very often.

The rear diff gear oil (Amsoil SVG) had 53K miles on it. Very minor amount of towing and only 50 miles with my boat on a trailer (9000 lbs) and seldom anything in the pickup bed. So I would not consider it severe use.

I am thinking Valvoline full synthetic would do as good a job for less cost than Amsoil SVG.

I would have expected the Amsoil SVG to go 100K miles before it looked dark.
Was that the first fill of Amsoil? I wonder if there was some additive clash. There was some recent conversation of additive clash being a greater concern with driveline fluids than with engine oils.

Drained the FF out of my Ram at 5700 miles. It has a LSD rear (with clutches) - oil was clean.

Was that the first fill of Amsoil? I wonder if there was some additive clash. There was some recent conversation of additive clash being a greater concern with driveline fluids than with engine oils.
It was the 2nd drain & fill of Amsoil SVG.

IMO, not worth it. I change diff oils after the first 10,000 miles and then again at 300,000 miles (yes 300k). I use Chevron 75W90 that's certified for 500k warranty approved drains on semi truck axles (name of the oil changes every couple of years, currently called XDM). Stuff is 37bux a gal or 9 ish a quart. Number of differential issues zero, number of loud or clunky differentials, zero. GM 3/4 and 1 ton rear axles since the 90's in commercial service....AAM's and Dana's. Not shilling for Chevron, Mobil or Shell both have similar.

Last edited:
Back