Is AFM still an issue for 5.3L Chevy trucks?

Locking Pin wear is a real phenomenon, How often the AFM lifters have to lock & unlock has a direct correlation to how fast the locking pins wear to the point they no longer unlock.
Now....There is a procedure to unlock a locked AFM lifter on Gen IV engines, Then tune the AFM out at that time.

Not trying to convince you of anything, Sounds like you take care of your truck & who am I to tell you what to do??

Keep in mind that a Hard Working or lifted with giant tires truck wont cycle the AFM nearly as much as a stock vehicle used as a commuter feathering the pedal..

Oil pump, Vacuum pump & Injector failures are what go wrong with the Gen V DI engines, Lifter failures are rare but do happen.

A very good customer of mine owns is a Electrical Contractor & owns a fleet of F250 service trucks....But his personal work truck is a 2015 Silverado 4x4 L83/6L80E & beats the snot out of it along with using it as a 3/4 ton pick up. Vacuum pump, Condenser, & Torque Converter have been the only non maintenance items replaced in 200,000 miles. The AFM & TCC PWM was tuned out before 40,000 miles. The Billet Cover Twin Disc Torque Converter was technically installed as a preventive measure because how hard he beats on this truck. He can burn down a set of brakes in 30,000 miles!!
Yeah, I tend to agree.

AFM not really a huge deal anymore, but torque converters, condensers, starter motors, injectors (misfires), vacuum pump, frame rust, Chevy shake are the issues. And out of all those, the torque converter and fuel injectors are really the only thing that bothers me.

I owned a 2018...starter went at 30,000 miles...three friends that own these also lost their starters within months of me. I started to get torque converter symptoms at 35,000 miles (shudder), and then misfires at 42,000 miles (think it was injectors). traded it in at 50,000 miles. Not a bad truck overall though. Great gas mileage. Quiet interior.

Keep in mind that a Hard Working or lifted with giant tires truck wont cycle the AFM nearly as much as a stock vehicle used as a commuter feathering the pedal..
Honestly, I think you’re right. The less these things switch back and forth between V4-V8, the less wear on the pins in the lifters. Less stress on the transmission constantly shifting.

clinebarger, all things considered, what year(s) used 5.3 Chevy trucks would you recommend for my friend? Thanks.

I'm a GMT800 ('99-'07) fan.....But finding a clean one with under 100k probably isn't going to happen & your friend most likely doesn't want a "old" truck.

'17 or a '18 with a 6L80E.....Stay away from the 8L90E transmission if at all possible. Test drive it extensively over 70 mph to make sure it doesn't have any driveline vibrations. Have the AFM tuned out when the powertrian warranty expires.....An experienced tuner can also tweak the Converter Clutch ramp-in rate for longer clutch life.

Back