Is a Trasko a "bolt-on" dual purpose filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted Steverino's oil analysis under the UOA section: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001428

I'm impressed. Now I feel much more comfortable about using this filter!!

Thanks, Steverino.
smile.gif

Makes me glad I bought that Trasko filter, I notice it too the oil seems a lot cleaner..The filter does work as it states...feel a lot more confident with extended oil interval using the Amsoil....Thanks Stervino...and the post..

I don't believe for a minute that a full flow filter such as the Trasko can filter oil down to less than a micron as they claim! A true bypass filter such as a gulfcoast or a frantz has to filter oil sloooowly through an extremely dense filtering element (TP) at a fraction of the filtering rate of spin on filters.. My question is.. What is the flow rate with the trasko? If it is the same as a full flow spin on filter I can't see any way it can filter oil efficiently..

quote:

Originally posted by Mykro:
I don't believe for a minute that a full flow filter such as the Trasko can filter oil down to less than a micron as they claim! A true bypass filter such as a gulfcoast or a frantz has to filter oil sloooowly through an extremely dense filtering element (TP) at a fraction of the filtering rate of spin on filters.. My question is.. What is the flow rate with the trasko? If it is the same as a full flow spin on filter I can't see any way it can filter oil efficiently..

I just went to traskos website..And read their FAQ's. Trasko has tried to improve upon an old idea.. I'll stick with the Frantz of GulfCoast setup..

I had an Amsoil filter for 2k miles and then switch to the Trasko filter when I recieved it. After 1k miles the oil looked cleaner and felt cleaner. I was skeptical about the flow rate and was really thinking about changing back to the Amsoil filter. I have no problems with the filter and it seems like it filters the oil extremely well for a spin on filter. I will continue to use it and feel confident the Amsoil can be extended for 25,000 miles. I am currently using the Amsoil S2 0-30.

quote:

Originally posted by Mykro:
I don't believe for a minute that a full flow filter such as the Trasko can filter oil down to less than a micron as they claim!

You don't understand how the Trasko functions. About 90% of the oil is flowed through a mesh screen, the remaining 10% is flowed sloooowly through the paper filter. The paper filter is much more dense than a standard toilet paper roll.

I was a skeptic but purchased one and have been getting great UOA's with it. The first two UOA's have been posted here last year, and a third UOA should be here in a week or two. The third UOA will be interesting because I added a K&N foam prefilter to the K&N air filter. Will the silicon levels go down?

If the Trasko filter didn't work, I wouldn't be getting great UOA'a.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back