is a bypass right for me? v 06 TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a VW Jetta 1.9l TDI. Currently has 124k miles on it.

Sump capacity is 4.5qts

Oil used is Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40

Miles driven 17k per year. 30/70 city/highway

Recommended OCI is 10k.

We just got the vehicle. I'm confident in TDT as a robust oil. I'd like to run it for at least 10k miles. The combination of relatively low sump capacity and a 10k OCI concerns me.

My thoughts were that adding a bypass filter would both increase capacity by~1qt and help filter out particulates.

Are my concerns unfounded?

All input is gladly welcomed. I'm not too familiar with diesels. If a bypass is a good idea, any help with building the system is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Really? That's cool.

Do you think I can go 10k with the given usage?

I'm used to gas engines where 5k~7.5k is more common. I thought that with the added contamination and no increase in capacity that the OCI wouldn't be that long!

*note* this is a PD engine. A bit different from previous and current generation TDIs. I'm not sure if that'd make a difference.

Last edited:
Sump isn't that small. I had a 2.0L Mazda (gasser) with 3.7 qt sump that only took 3.5 qts during oil/filter change. 4.5qt for a 1.9L isn't all that bad.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Sump isn't that small. I had a 2.0L Mazda (gasser) with 3.7 qt sump that only took 3.5 qts during oil/filter change. 4.5qt for a 1.9L isn't all that bad.

That's a gas engine though. This is a diesel.

Is 4.5qt even enough to contain the soot over the course of 10k miles?

I would suggest that rather than listen to us bloviate (me included), you actually do some testing ...

Now, I'll make a few points and you can choose to embrace or ignore them.

Any product can be over or under utilized; that includes lubes and filters.

To KNOW (not guess, but have actual knowledge) how the lube/filter combo is doing, you'll need to get some UOAs and perhaps some PCs.

Establish some baseline tests, then experiment with variables one at a time. Variables to manipulate would be lube, filter, OCI. Don't change them all at once; only manipulate one at a time.

TDT is an excellent product, IF you use it wisely. Otherwise, it's a waste. Same can be said for bypass filtration. Syn's and bypass filters are tools to greatly extend your OCIs. They make fluids last longer in service. There is a myth out there, which is very predominant, that would have you believe that syns and bypass make your engine last longer; that is FALSE. Those products extend the lifecycle of your fluids. Clean fluid is what keeps your engine healthy. But clean fluid can be achieved by more than one means. Superior filtration is only one method; frequent OCIs can achieve the same result of a healthy sump. So the method of cleanliness is what is at stake here; you need to choose a method that will assure good performance, and deliver that result with a cost struture that is able to pay for itself.

If your goal is 15-17k miles a year, and you use TDT, you might be able to use perhaps a high-end full-flow filter such as EaO or M1 or one of the other excellent brands, and not have the added expense of the bypass filter system.

Yes - bypass filters look cool and really impress folks when you pop the hood. But they do NOT guarantee successful ROI, unless used correctly.

I would encourage you to do some testing first; know where you're at now. Then experiment a little at a time, and see how the choices pay off (or don't pay off .....).

BTW - to really be able to judge what is acceptable, you're going to have to establish condemnation limits you're comfortable with; that's a whole other topic, too ...

Last edited:
Thank you for the input.

I'll do as you suggested and pull a UOA around 5k to see where we're at. I'll leave the oil in and wait for results.

If they're good, repeat around 7500. Then again at 10k, if the results show it's possible.

I like the idea of trying to find the best quality full flow. The problem with this engine is that it uses a drop in cartridge, not a canister type. So there isn't too much room for improvement(I think).

Is Blackstone still the recommended lab around here or has another option popped up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back