Is 50800 preferred vs the older spec for VW 2.0TSI

The newer jettas call for the 50800 spec oil which is a special 0W20. Does it offer any benefits over a 0W30 or 5W40 that was specced for that engine in years past? Any benefits besides fuel economy that is.

When minimally formulated to meet spec, VW 50200 loses out to VW 50800 in regards to sludge, deposits and oxidative thickening. In terms of wear, they are both at the same level. However, lots of oils exceed the minimum requirements.

VW 50800 0W20 isn't a special oil. Europe has their own auto industry and automotive engineers. Europes population exceeds North America, Japan and South Korea combined. They have no need to appease to the USA and Canada and down spec their 0W20 to the level of GM, Hyundai and whoever else. And VW engines are not junk in need of a special oil to avoid falling apart.

People here do a little research and say, Toyota... specs a thicker oil for the same engine in the Congo Republic or wherever else. Who cares.

If you feel a need to use a thicker oil, I could care less. I doubt it will hurt anything. I myself do not want to have the worrisome mentality
I need to use a thicker oil than what the auto maker specifies, and go out of my way to justify it by finding out the same engine in some other country specifies a thicker oil; or justify it because the auto maker used a thicker oil in the same engine in the past.

Despite if you like what I posted or not, I'm highly considering a 2024 GLI with a stick. I miss the 2013 GTI I once had and I don't care much about my wife's 2015 Audi A4 Quattro.

When minimally formulated to meet spec, VW 50200 loses out to VW 50800 in regards to sludge, deposits and oxidative thickening. In terms of wear, they are both at the same level. However, lots of oils exceed the minimum requirements.

VW 50800 0W20 isn't a special oil. Europe has their own auto industry and automotive engineers. Europes population exceeds North America, Japan and South Korea combined. They have no need to appease to the USA and Canada and down spec their 0W20 to the level of GM, Hyundai and whoever else. And VW engines are not junk in need of a special oil to avoid falling apart.

People here do a little research and say, Toyota... specs a thicker oil for the same engine in the Congo Republic or wherever else. Who cares.

If you feel a need to use a thicker oil, I could care less. I doubt it will hurt anything. I myself do not want to have the worrisome mentality
I need to use a thicker oil than what the auto maker specifies, and go out of my way to justify it by finding out the same engine in some other country specifies a thicker oil; or justify it because the auto maker used a thicker oil in the same engine in the past.
Where is your data that VW502.00 leaves more sludge etc?

Where is your data that VW502.00 leaves more sludge etc?
Maybe here?
1702374366859.jpg

Those are areas of emphasis for the approval not absolute values. It does not mean 502 00 is lacking in any area, it already had an emphasis for sludge prevention in the approval. If that’s what he’s keying off then it’s yet another misapplication of those spider charts.
True enough, and any oil can significantly exceed the demands of the spec meaning a very good 502 00-approved oil may perform better than a marginal 508 00 one, but the comparison remains that the requirements to achieve 508 00 approval are more strict than for 502 00.

True enough, and any oil can significantly exceed the demands of the spec meaning a very good 502 00-approved oil may perform better than a marginal 508 00 one, but the comparison remains that the requirements to achieve 508 00 approval are more strict than for 502 00.
And it specifically tells you not to compare approvals the way you do.

And VW engines are not junk in need of a special oil to avoid falling apart.
So I could then use any SP rated oil in a VW and expect the same reliability as Japanese and domestic vehicles except that I'd void my warranty?
You shouldn't use VW 508 on a ea888 with an engine code that doesn't start with D.
VW ea888 with engine code C require an oil with a HTHS of 3.5.
What changed on the 'D' code ea888 that allowed the use of thinner oil over the 'C' code?

And it specifically tells you not to compare approvals the way you do.
Well, it says not to compare between specs - I'd argue that comparison within the same publishing body is within scope. Besides, I simply proposed an answer to the question "Where is your data that VW502.00 leaves more sludge etc?".

I was using Lubrizol's publicly-available tool as a proxy since everyone can look at it. However, comparing the specs themselves tells pretty much the same story:

508 00 requires much lower wear than 502 00 in the same engine test.
508 00 requires better sludge performance than 502 00 in the same engine test.
508 00 requires significantly better oxidation performance in a more severe version of the 502 00 engine test.

Well, it says not to compare between specs - I'd argue that comparison within the same publishing body is within scope. Besides, I simply proposed an answer to the question "Where is your data that VW502.00 leaves more sludge etc?".

I was using Lubrizol's publicly-available tool as a proxy since everyone can look at it. However, comparing the specs themselves tells pretty much the same story:

508 00 requires significantly better oxidation performance in a more severe version of the 502 00 engine test.
But since we do not know the specifics of the tests for 508 00 then we still don’t know the actual comparisons. The tests (for the different approvals) can very well have different limits or be tested via a different standardized method. Those are areas of emphasis and not absolute numbers. The chart is valid as far as that goes but only that far.

I’d use 504 00 or BMW Longlife-04 here anyway considering the ubiquitous availability at Walmart.

So, people who made this tool, make additive packs, tells you don’t do it bcs. it is pointless, but you say: “I argue.” I mean fine.

VW502.00 never comes alone. It comes with BMW LL01, MB229.5 wtc.
We saw few weeks ago here wear numbers between High-SAPS and Low-SAPS oils. Also, VW502.00 like all active VW approvals is constantly updated.

What changed on the 'D' code ea888 that allowed the use of thinner oil over the 'C' code?
Variable displacement oil pump.

While both EA888 3G 'C' (CHHA etc) and 'D' (DLBA etc) share that variable displacement
oil pump, the newer 'D' ones use a taller (oil pump) gearing and some other minor tweaks
to allow for (but not require) using those thinner VW 508 00 0W-20 oils.

Back