iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6+ (big screen Android owners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an unlimited data plan holder for Verizon that does not allow for upgrades(eg I pay full retail). I have an offer for $200 for my current and well used iPhone 4s in dire need of new battery & 3g data speed is painful which makes it palatable to upgrade.

The iPhone 6+ looks very tempting all around for battery life and screen real estate.

My question is more for Android owners. Is dealing with large phone hard in daily routine? Eg putting in pocket(does it fit?) etc. Any other comments on that?

PS: Yes Samsung/Android is nice but not interested for my purposes(I am an emerging iOs developer).

i have a 4.7" HTC one m7 going on almost 2 yrs now and I love it. Not too big, not too small.
I think the iphone6 plus would be pushing it, go try one out, put it in your pocket.

My friend bought a samsung note phablet and she got rid of it a few month later... too big

Last edited:
I have an LG G2, which is a 5" phone. Love it, and would never go smaller.

It's definitely hard (essentially impossible) to use with one hand, and I completely get the practicality concerns. I just love a bigger screen (easier to see and type on), so I tend to go for the biggest I can tolerate. Size-wise, that's probably the Galaxy Note 3; the main reason I didn't get one was that I wanted an IPS display. AFAIK, the iPhone 6 Plus is about that size, so I'll be looking at one when I'm up for an upgrade.

Use an S3 with the 4.7" screen. I have large hands and anything beyond 5" becomes a two handed operation for common tasks - like dialing a phone number. Something to consider.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm a front pocket phone guy, fwiw.

Same. No idea how people keep phones in their back pockets without worrying about breakage.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am an unlimited data plan holder for Verizon that does not allow for upgrades(eg I pay full retail). I have an offer for $200 for my current and well used iPhone 4s in dire need of new battery & 3g data speed is painful which makes it palatable to upgrade.

I'd go try any similar-sized phone and see how it fits your "carry system", whether that's a belt holster or a pocket, etc. My folks' old Galaxy S3 is too big for my pockets. I'd never be able to use a 6...it's larger still. On the other hand, my wife is interested in the larger phone because she purse-carries hers. So I think it matters how you carry it.

My 4s fits my pockets fine. My wife's 5s is getting big, but it's still doable. I can't really carry an S3 in my pockets. I'd have to use a holster if I had a phone that big, but I don't like to use a holster all the time. And I think that a mobile device should adapt to me, and not the other way around.

I just went from a 4.7" HTC One M7 to a 5" Nexus 5 and they both feel about the same size for me. For me average-largeish hands, it good to use, but even then, I find myself fumbling to tap some of the upper corners of the screen when holding it with one hand.

My GF went from a S3 to a Note 3, and she has much smaller hands, but she loves her Note.

I think that either way, you'll get used to the phone you have. If you think that you have a need/want the larger screen, I would go for it.

In regards to the pocket situation, my Nexus 5 feels fine in my pocket, and I've put my GF's Note 3 in my pocket before, it was fine. Since the iPhone 6 plus is even thinner than the Note, I think think that it would be fine.

Although, I'm not super skinny though, about 5'11" and 190lbs, my thighs and pockets may be bigger than yours if you're much skinnier, and a larger phone may feel weird.

Best bet is to go to the store to try it out.

On another note, as an emerging iPhone app developer, it might be advantageous to have the 6+ for screen resolution reasons.

Just another data point: I have an iPhone 5, and I wish it were the same size as my old iPhone 4. The 5 isn't bad, but the little bit of extra length convinced me that I would never EVER want anything bigger. The idea of a bigger screen is appealing, but not for something I expect to operate one-handed as a phone most of the time.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I have an LG G2, which is a 5" phone. Love it, and would never go smaller.

It's definitely hard (essentially impossible) to use with one hand, and I completely get the practicality concerns. I just love a bigger screen (easier to see and type on), so I tend to go for the biggest I can tolerate. Size-wise, that's probably the Galaxy Note 3; the main reason I didn't get one was that I wanted an IPS display. AFAIK, the iPhone 6 Plus is about that size, so I'll be looking at one when I'm up for an upgrade.

I also have a G2 and I've noticed that it is difficult to use one-handed. Aside from that, the bigger screen is definitely a great thing to have.

I have a Galaxy Note 2. I love it for two reasons, the screen and the battery. More real estate allows for a bigger battery. I travel a fair amount so the extra battery capacity is useful.

It certainly took some adjustment to go from my Droid Incredible 2 to the Note 2. On the Android side there are some settings to mess with to make it more usable with one hand. I rarely type one handed so I've never adjusted it.

I carry my phone in my front pocket all the time. It's a little bulky when I put my Otterbox Commuter on it.

I'm looking for my next phone to be the current Note when my contract is up for renewal.

Went from a 4S to a Galaxy S5. Love the larger screen and it is gorgeous. Wouldn't go much smaller. It fits in front jeans pockets as well as front shirt pockets fine. Sticks out a little on the dress shirt pocket but it's not that bad. The big screen for navigation apps and such ROCKS!

Android, while better still sucks as bad as it did when I had my Droid X. Reboots, mystery battery life, hangs, etc.

That being said I think I'll be back to a 6S+ next year. Unless Android L fixes lots of things.

I've got a Note 3 and it's on the upper limit of what I would want to cary. It fits in my pants pockets, front/rear. But it will not fit into any of my shirt pockets. My wife just got a galaxy s5 a few months ago and she wants to trade it for something smaller, because it's too big for some of her purse pockets.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Android, while better still sucks as bad as it did when I had my Droid X. Reboots, mystery battery life, hangs, etc.

Interesting. My S3 has been really stable, no crashes and good battery life. Quite impressive actually. Able to go months without a reboot. Could it be the apps?

Android can be quite stable. But it's not assured to be -- vendors get their grubby paws into it and are far more likely to break than fix it.

The S3 had reliable hardware, and a fairly good Android build. And you can get CyanogenMod if you don't like Samsung's changes to Android. The only major complaint I have with it is that the GPS accuracy is horrible, probably because the receiver is power hungry and the firmware tries to power it down as much as possible and just guess.

I would be most concerned with the risk of bending or breaking the new iPhone. Larger phones tend to be dropped more often, and are more likely to break when dropped. And the bending pictures suggest that the new model is weaker than the typical phone. Repair parts for all high-volume phones have become astonishingly inexpensive, but ease of iThing repair peaked with the iPhone 3 and the iPhone 6 may not be cost-effectively repairable.

Originally Posted By: djb
Repair parts for all high-volume phones have become astonishingly inexpensive, but ease of iThing repair peaked with the iPhone 3 and the iPhone 6 may not be cost-effectively repairable.

Great point. In terms of iDevices, I think the ease of repair extends at least through the iPhone 5/5s. The iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s continue their construction of a "squared" stainless steel chassis with two visible screws on the bottom. In fact, a cracked screen on a 5/5s is cake to repair, since the phone opens from the front:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5+Teardown/10525

I replaced the screen on my 4s earlier this year, and while I probably couldn't have guessed at all of the steps to do it...at least in the right order...the phone was easily serviceable and accessible.

It looks like the 6 is no less easy to open and possibly service. It's got the same pair of screws bottom-side, so there shouldn't be anything to "break" or crack in order to get into it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+6+Teardown/29213

I have an iPhone 5S and I got my son the iPhone 6 4.7" version last Friday on launch day and while the 4.7" screen is a nice jump from the 4" screen I have on the 5S, the 6 plus is what I pre-ordered. I played with the 6 and the 6 plus at the Apple store and found that the 6 plus is so much better when surfing the Safari browser. I made up my mind on the 6 plus after using it at the Apple store for about 5 minutes.

My neighbor has the Galaxy Note 3 which has the big 5.7" screen and I put it in my pocket to see if I can live with a bigger phone and it's no big deal. It doesn't feel any different than how heavy my 5S is. I can always go to the iPhone 6 after trying the 6 plus out. Best Buy gives me 45 days to try out anything I want with the Best Buy Reward Zone Elite Plus program. Nothing to lose by trying out the 6 plus. I know that once I have the 6 plus, the smaller 5S I have now will seem ultra tiny! Happens with every generation of phone when the screen size grows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back