iOS safari not loading Harbor Freight links?

JHZR2

Staff member
Recently I needed self etching primer, and HF had the best deal. Who knows who makes it, but it is made in USA, and sprayed very nicely and worked great. So when I got an email from them asking to rate/review the item, I was willing to.

It’s a personalized link. I’ve gotten them before. Extremely long and complex.

Click it and it will not load on my phone.

It works from my computer and iPad.

On the phone I get this:

C240108C-F8B9-48BC-86DA-2819431F4C43.png

It does have an https URL. Anyone else have this issue, or know how to resolve?

There are many reasons it could not get a secure connection. Cypher missing on client side, root authority cert for that domain's cert issuer missing on client side, or something fishy about redirects, cnames, etc. that iOS is less tolerant about than other browsers.

So far I’ve verified date and time, verified automatic ip settings, and even reset network settings. All things I’ve found recommended.

I can’t imagine HF has issues on their end. The iPhone is too ubiquitous to not load their links from their emails.

Then again I have no issues with anything else.

I downloaded firefox for iOS just for kicks. It gave a bit more info:

F3DE109F-A030-4F62-93DC-5D65393B329E.png

I could opt to load it. Strange that the latest safari browser on other devices will load this site.

Is your iPad and computer on a residential ISP and you're iPhone being on LTE -- routing data through one of the cell carriers having a tough time?

This is what I get

This server could not prove that it is url9614.harborfreight.com; its security certificate is from *.sendgrid.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

The idea that HF was a dodgy (i.e. poorly configured) website is pretty reasonable.

This is what I get

This server could not prove that it is url9614.harborfreight.com; its security certificate is from *.sendgrid.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

The idea that HF was a dodgy (i.e. poorly configured) website is pretty reasonable.
My guess is that the problem lies in the certificate discrepancy between the two domains, which is likely due to the personalized email directing OP through a 3rd-party service (which would handle subscribing/ unsubscribing, spam and privacy compliance and user data tracking).

OP, I'd bet that if you logged into your HF account there'd be some links to peruse your purchase history, which in turn should avail the opportunity to provide review and feedback.

I’m on my iPhone I don’t have any issues when they ask me to review anything or click the link they provide. Are you having issues with anything else on their site or anything? I’m not technology expert so I don’t know what could be up. Is the pop up blocker or something preventing it?

I’m on my iPhone I don’t have any issues when they ask me to review anything or click the link they provide. Are you having issues with anything else on their site or anything? I’m not technology expert so I don’t know what could be up. Is the pop up blocker or something preventing it?
I can go to the HF site just fine. It’s these “custom” links that come off the funny URLs they send to review stuff.

My guess is that the problem lies in the certificate discrepancy between the two domains, which is likely due to the personalized email directing OP through a 3rd-party service (which would handle subscribing/ unsubscribing, spam and privacy compliance and user data tracking).

OP, I'd bet that if you logged into your HF account there'd be some links to peruse your purchase history, which in turn should avail the opportunity to provide review and feedback.
Funny thing is that I don’t have an HF account. I give my home number when ai buy something there, and somehow (don’t really know why, if I bought something online from them it was 15 years ago) they have my email address.

This is what I get

This is the issue.

SendGrid is a big bulk mailing outfit, part of their value-add to Harbor Freight is click statistics coming back on each HF email campaign. They do this by directing clicks to their sites with HF certs (but they run), then (after recording the click who and when) redirect to the actual HF site. One of their servers is not properly configured. It could be a more obscure/new feature not everyone uses yet; such as stapling, etc.

Last edited:
Back