Invisible dog fences.

Meaning what exactly? He builds his own stuff or he uses commercial stuff and he installs?

It's the same materials used by the larger corporations. He has a F150 with a cab that has spools of wire he works with. Connectors, collars, and control units round it out. Not a lot of overhead.

Don't have a dog yet, but getting a fence company to do it is very expensive. So, I have been looking into invisible fences. Both wireless and cable burial. Can someone who have any of these, give me their recommendations and input?

Thank you
Had one years ago. If you train the dog, they work great on the dog. They don't keep people OUT of your yard. So if you have a big, protective dog like a German Shepherd, they only solve half the problem.

Our German Shepherd tackled a kid making a shortcut through our yard. Scared the kid and we got an earful from his parents.

We ended up fencing in our back yard and kept the dog there. It also took away the shortcut kids were using.

So understand the limitations of an invisible fence.

It's the same materials used by the larger corporations. He has a F150 with a cab that has spools of wire he works with. Connectors, collars, and control units round it out. Not a lot of overhead.
Got it.

Had one years ago. If you train the dog, they work great on the dog. They don't keep people OUT of your yard. So if you have a big, protective dog like a German Shepherd, they only solve half the problem.

Our German Shepherd tackled a kid making a shortcut through our yard. Scared the kid and we got an earful from his parents.

We ended up fencing in our back yard and kept the dog there. It also took away the shortcut kids were using.

So understand the limitations of an invisible fence.
That's the pup I will be getting. May I ask what brand and model # did you use? And why would the parents be upset with you? The kid trespassed and your dog was doing it's job. Good doggie!

I don't have a problem of people walking through my property. I'm kind of isolated with plenty of land. Neighbors are way out.

How about training your dogs? I have never once had to use a fence or leash my dogs (regardless of breed) after 1 year old and training. I can let mine out in the front yard or walk in the park and beach with no fear of them running off. Off leash training is no harder than potty training. For some breeds it takes a little longer. Most breeds can be trained in the first 6 months of ownership from a pup.

Anyone that has to fence in a dog for fear of them running away should not have a pet. OTOH, if you have an issue with another dog entering your property or coyote issues then yes a fence is the best deterrent.

"Anyone that has to fence in a dog for fear of them running away should not have a pet. OTOH, if you have an issue with another dog entering your property or coyote issues then yes a fence is the best deterrent."

Sorry, but you just contradicted yourself. There's ALWAYS a chance, no matter how much training, that something can happen to your pup. It only takes ONE time for disaster. You have been lucky...so far. Off leash is great when under supervision. You can correct it immediately. And to say that anyone having a fence for fear shouldn't have a pet, is downright ridiculous.

That's the pup I will be getting. May I ask what brand and model # did you use? And why would the parents be upset with you? The kid trespassed and your dog was doing it's job. Good doggie!

I don't have a problem of people walking through my property. I'm kind of isolated with plenty of land. Neighbors are way out.

We had the Invisible Fence brand and this was back in the mid-1990s. Not sure how relative that part is to your quest.

Why were the parents upset, parents. Their "little Johnny" could never be in the wrong. No lawsuit or anything like that, just an earful. The bottom line was where we lived, with our back yard backing up to a parking lot for a restaurant and a nearby McDonalds, it was in our best interests to go with a traditional fence. I.E. this wouldn't be the only person taking the shortcut.

Bottom line, the take away here is any sort of Invisible Fence doesn't keep humans out.

Plus 1 for just training...especially as it sounds like you are in a more rural area and are getting a smart breed that is more than capable of learning the perimeter. I won't go to the extreme that saying if people use a fence they shouldn't have a dog, however if the dog is capable give him a chance!

I have had both wireless radio fences and the inground wire ones. Issues I saw with the wireless were patchy radio signal and strength as brick walls and other structures interfere with the signal. If you set the shock just right in one area, it may be too strong or nonexistent in another. Also, you get essentially a circular zone, which may not correlate with the area you want.
With the buried wire, the main problem I've seen is inadvertent cutting by lawn care and other yard work.
Either way, as noted previously, proper training of the dog and remembering to keep the collar on are the keys to success.

Back