Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
About when I jumped in. I missed the very bottom with E, VRNG I probably bought too soon - let me know when it goes up.

I just backed the truck up on VRNG.

E is a maniac!!!

I almost did too, but was working off-site.
frown.gif

Sounds like V was caught in the Knight glitch.

One think about V... Once there is no news, it decays. News comes out... and... to the moon it goes!

This current up cycle will complete on the 7th. So I don't think we will move much in either direction until then. GL

The market is at a trifecta of resistance, including a trendline from the 2007 highs, in the indexes, so it's probably not perfect timing to add long positions. It's gotta punch through all that resistance and the yearly highs before we get an intermediate term sustainable rally, but it's completely doable. Starting to see some distribution in TLT which is the go to safety ETF when the market tanks.

I think the markets are long-in-the-tooth, in other words, have run their course. Time for a correction I think, but who knows...

I'm waiting for those gaps to close back down and then adding some longer time frame longs; I'm still hoping for a rally. But, I'll probably get stopped out and go back to swing trading as that seems to be the only way for non stock pickers like me to make a decent return.

Last edited:
I'm up 7.5% on CAT since I bought it on 7/25. I got in at $81.13 and it's $87.22 now.
smile.gif

As recoveries come around the world, this should keep going up.

I'm 12% stock, 38% short term bond & 46% short term. Waiting for some big dips...

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit this is the first time in 10 years, the S&P 500 might beat me. It's up 9.49% YTD. I'm at 4.95%. Too much in cash and stuff.....safety rules...I'm giving it a run!

Then again 10 years running I'm up 128%. S&P 68% cumulative.

I must admit this is the first time in 10 years, the S&P 500 might beat me. It's up 9.49% YTD. I'm at 4.95%. Too much in cash and stuff.....safety rules...I'm giving it a run!

Nice!

I'm too conservative at the moment & have been most of the year. Don't get me wrong, I got lots of stocks, just not a big %.

A correction should vindicate me.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Nice!

I'm too conservative at the moment & have been most of the year. Don't get me wrong, I got lots of stocks, just not a big %.

A correction should vindicate me.
lol.gif

Me too in a way. Depends on the definition of stocks, something like "MINT" is not a stock. And my biggest losers are gold and metals.

FWIW: I'm looking for the markets to be down thurs & fri and possibly monday morning then rebound from there.

And my biggest losers are gold and metals.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/07/us-usa-fed-rosengren-idUSBRE8760NR20120807

This slowdown in metals I thought was a topping process since late last year, but I think it might be somewhat of a flag or pennant to the larger bull market. If the Fed came out and said they're going to do QE into perpetuity, gold and silver and miners might do another parabolic upswing (even though it probably doesn't mean an end to the treasury bull market or some dollar collapse scenario). That will also be very bullish for stocks and other risk assets. I'm sitting tight ready to jump in if/when it happens, especially for precious metals.

Last edited:
OK, this is not about the stock market, but rather a different facet of investing. I've got a vested pension from some time I spent at ATT, which I will be elgible to start collecting in Oct this year. I have the option of getting either $593.08/mo for the rest of my life, or taking a lump sum settlement of $88K. Which means I would need to live at least a little over 12 years to get that much paid back. Right now I'm just living off Soc Sec retirement benefits so finances are tight, but I get by unless there is an emergency, etc. I'm wondering the best way to go with this decision. If I take the payout, won't I be liable for some hefty taxes on it? I dunno how much, I am pretty naive about finances. Can you guys point me the right direction here? I need to let ATT know this month month, if I am taking the payout.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
OK, this is not about the stock market, but rather a different facet of investing. I've got a vested pension from some time I spent at ATT, which I will be elgible to start collecting in Oct this year. I have the option of getting either $593.08/mo for the rest of my life, or taking a lump sum settlement of $88K. Which means I would need to live at least a little over 12 years to get that much paid back. Right now I'm just living off Soc Sec retirement benefits so finances are tight, but I get by unless there is an emergency, etc. I'm wondering the best way to go with this decision. If I take the payout, won't I be liable for some hefty taxes on it? I dunno how much, I am pretty naive about finances. Can you guys point me the right direction here? I need to let ATT know this month month, if I am taking the payout.

Not sure of your age, other assets, family, expenses or anything else, but 8% looks just fine. Take $88K alone and there is just not much you can do safely with that small sum and get more than 1% yield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back