Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in TMF. Piled into VXX calls for a 1 or 2 day rip up to 31 bucks. Advance decline cumulative is majorly rolling over and diverging from the SP500, as is the vix. Russel.........YIKES; Looks like a big complex head and shoulders top to me. Still a lot of damage needs to be done to say THIS is a long term top. Probably another little shakeout for the Dow/SPX/Nasdaq. If that Russel pattern negates and turns up, it's rally on IMO.

I'm seeing the first major technical crack in breadth; throughout the last 2 years mega rally, shakeouts have found support at the 100 day/20 week moving averages on the Advance Decline line and the SP500. The advance decline blew through the 100 today; the SPX is still well above it. This coming attempt at support for the SPX at the 100 day/20 week will be critical.

I can't help but think of this whenever someone starts with the technical/chart talk that I view as foreign language.

NEW YORK–Excitement swept the financial world Monday, when a blue line jumped more than 11 percent, passing four black horizontal lines as it rose from 367.22 to 408.85.

Got out of my VXX calls with an $60 total loss. Wheeeeeeeeew. Could have been creamed. Forget it; you can't short the stock market right now. Too strong. BTFD.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wow my post was cryptic. Working on only like 3 hrs sleep.

Yep agree. Seems a bit oversold so may get a snap back. Also it will bottom out at some point... Neither want to catch a falling knife or try too hard to guess a bottom.

May nibble a little to try to grab a quick jump and a little profit. 1000 shares have the potential to return $400 in a day.

Issue is the broken support and where it could fall to.

Still waiting on this (AUY). Not catching a falling knife yet, but I suspect it has to hit the floor at some point...

Someone sneezed. No big deal.
If daily fluctuations give you heart burn, one should evaluate their risk tolerance and perhaps adjust their Asset Allocation accordingly.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I can't help but think of this whenever someone starts with the technical/chart talk that I view as foreign language.

NEW YORK–Excitement swept the financial world Monday, when a blue line jumped more than 11 percent, passing four black horizontal lines as it rose from 367.22 to 408.85.

Someone sneezed. No big deal.
If daily fluctuations give you heart burn, one should evaluate their risk tolerance and perhaps adjust their Asset Allocation accordingly.

I'm getting really tired of your posts. You don't trade. You don't believe in any kind of analysis. We get it. If you're not going to add anything substantive to a thread about trading markets, how about you kindly leave. If you think technical analysis or market analysis is a foreign language and you're unwilling to learn it, don't dismiss others who do, and don't make fun of people who try and learn. Thanks.
wink.gif

Daily fluctuations are a HUGE deal with leveraged positions/options etc which some people, including me, trade ON A DAILY/WEEKLY basis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
All the indexes are at support areas, vix/vxx at resistance. Ready for a bounce; the key is, what happens with the bounce.

Was thinking the same thing. The closing TICK is crossing over too. If I would have gotten home before the close I would have went long. GL

Originally Posted By: Warstud
All the indexes are at support areas, vix/vxx at resistance. Ready for a bounce; the key is, what happens with the bounce.

Was thinking the same thing. The closing TICK is crossing over too. If I would have gotten home before the close I would have went long. GL

Happy, happy, happy...... Still have 4th. qtr. divs coming. Helps to fill in the potholes..

Wayne

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Uh oh.......

Is this it?

Could Be!

Think again! Look at today's markets.

"nobody knows nuthin"

Drew, the thread title is "Investors....come in please!"
I believe trading falls closer to gambling/speculation than investing, if there were a spectrum.

Index investing is a [very] good way for long term growth. I follow the Boglehead style and will continue to preach it. I'm intrigued by chart talk, but do not see how technical trading can/has outperform(ed) long term indexing. Mr. Buffet believes that all one needs to do is own an S&P 500 index for long term investing and has instructed his wife to do so with their assets if he predeceases her.

I own ETFs that could be traded on a daily basis, but they are all low-cost index funds, of which I buy and hold.

I will continue to "preach" Boglehead type indexing, as there may be members who are lurking and will look into this type of investing. (which over the long run, will beat 90%+ of actively managed funds) They may question their poor (high expense ratio) 401k funds and look to improve their options. This would even more helpful to someone who came here for information vs trying to time the pop or double-headed dragon formation of a particular chart.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Looks like I missed it.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Uh oh.......

Is this it?

Could Be!

Think again! Look at today's markets.

"nobody knows nuthin"

Drew, the thread title is "Investors....come in please!"
I believe trading falls closer to gambling/speculation than investing, if there were a spectrum.

Index investing is a [very] good way for long term growth. I follow the Boglehead style and will continue to preach it. I'm intrigued by chart talk, but do not see how technical trading can/has outperform(ed) long term indexing. Mr. Buffet believes that all one needs to do is own an S&P 500 index for long term investing and has instructed his wife to do so with their assets if he predeceases her.

I own ETFs that could be traded on a daily basis, but they are all low-cost index funds, of which I buy and hold.

I will continue to "preach" Boglehead type indexing, as there may be members who are lurking and will look into this type of investing. (which over the long run, will beat 90%+ of actively managed funds) They may question their poor (high expense ratio) 401k funds and look to improve their options. This would even more helpful to someone who came here for information vs trying to time the pop or double-headed dragon formation of a particular chart.

cheers3.gif

OK, no biggie. Sorry I got a bit peeved. You're right, index investing for long term savings is a great way to invest, but when trading with leverage/options or 3x ETFs etc., you have to manage risk really tightly. That's why I post a lot about what the SP500 is doing because I like to trade SPY options based on the short term trend of that index.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Drew,

Are you making money shorting stocks or breaking even ?

The last time I made any money shorting the SP500 was the correction in early 2012. Every attempt since has been a small loss. This is the strongest stock market in history I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back