*Investors Blog*

Depends on the stock, but i do generally. A lot of stocks will drop in price the day after ex dividend, often by a lot.
Well yes, they drop the amount of the dividend. Plus/minus market.

So when I say "buy the dividend" one is paying the price with the dividend. Buying ex-dividend is self explanatory and again if one wants the lower basis, by all means. Settlement day used to be 3 days, now 2, so need to watch that.

Well yes, they drop the amount of the dividend. Plus/minus market.

So when I say "buy the dividend" one is paying the price with the dividend. Buying ex-dividend is self explanatory and again if one wants the lower basis, by all means. Settlement day used to be 3 days, now 2, so need to watch that.
Sometimes its more than the dividend - selling begits selling. I guess I didn't understand your question. Do I buy dividend stocks? I certainly have in the past when interest was zero. Now I would have to want the company for enough other reasons, and a dividend is a nice bonus to wait.

However that may change again. I can see a rotation coming, and real interest rates falling so I don't want any treasury over a year.

Just trying to understand why. I would think the stock would go up from all the new investors buying in before the ex- dividend date .
Yes - they buy in and it goes up before the dividend date. After the date and you held it long enough to collect the dividend it gets sold and you can move on to other stuff - ie people buying it for the one time dividend, or people who have owned it but wait to sell till after the dividend.

Ok fine but more fuzzed lines

Trust me NFT definition will expand
My family owns some farmland. Its reasonably valuable - there is a lot of it. It has an old house on it that no one has lived in for several years and it isn't much. Family is thinking of selling. I calculated it and we pay about 2% of the lands value in property tax annually. The ONLY service we get is a pothole ridden 2 lane that passes by, which is paid for by a lot of other taxes besides property tax - like gas tax. We get no fire service, no water or sewer, no nat gas on that road. Nothing.

So I asked myself, why do we pay property tax forever. The local government over the last 50 years has been paid the entire value of the property. We will pay that again in the next 50. And the next 50. Were perpetually renting our own land from govco.

So as much as I am sure they will waste the money, why shouldn't NFT's be taxed like everything else?

Will "Baling out the banks" create more inflation ? thoughts
Thought they made a statement that no banks will be "bailed out" this time. I say, let them fail if the people running them can't keep themselves out of trouble by making stupid decisions. It's their job to keep the bank running well and not fail, but people are too greedy, and they should crash and burn if that's the case.

I heard all of the money taken out of the money supply with interest rate hikes was all put back within a week of the bank failures. Yes, inflationary for sure. Never saw the data though.
Here you go - federal reserve balance sheet for the last year:

1679969616616.jpg

Absolutely inflationary.

Up until a week ago, the idea was to increase interest rates to squeeze lending to slow business so they could lay people off, cause higher unemployment, and hence lower inflation. Their solution to inflation is to literally have millions of people that want work to be out of work.

A bank failure is by definition deflationary - the money evaporates. Thats what the fed wants - deflation.

The fed is literally fine with millions of people with no job, but not fine with a handful of silicon valley VC's and startups going out of business to implement the same affect.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, then your not paying attention.

Well, let's see. The SVB bailout made the depositors whole. If this was not done, there was a strong possibility of a continued, far larger run on our banking system. Less deposits means more expensive credit. And the world runs on credit. Many businesses could easily have come to a screaching halt. At best, there would be a huge slowdown in the economy.

We dodged a bullet.

Back