*Investors Blog*

For fun I just bought GM today @ $34.66 11AM with the spare change that I owned FRC with. Gluten for punishment I am now I better start paying attention to our move into our new home next week *LOL*...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I put in a (low) buy bid on OZKAP close to $15/share

EDIT: Ah, nice looks like Fido is filling my order 100-200 shares at a time at my bid price. And it pops just above the price.....
Well just after my 1200th share, preferred stock decides to take a jog away from my 15.15 bid. Sometimes!!

Plus, Fido shows:
$15.90 x 1

I guess the way it works there is no reporting on bids UNDER the highest UNFILLED order. Last trade was $15.77

We must remember, besides banks stocks the market itself is looking pretty sick!

Darn, Im so upset with myself, lost focus and came into BITOG first! Instead of my Schwab account... by for now. *LOL*
Gave up half my gain ... but is what it is.. will hold and see what happens I would have liked to get 60. But now with the bond loses in the news it will limit upside and possibly trash the stock for a while and well, didnt really want to be in here for the long term.

I keep telling people about all the bad news via a PM and they probably laugh at me and ignoring all the flashing red lights on the dashboard….. similar to ‘Alarm Fatigue’ in a hospital ICU where the nurses keep hitting the silence button to acknowledge multiple critical alarms and the patient keeps trending downward until it’s too late.

Or a pilot not paying attention to their weather radar when flying at night, entering very dangerous storm clouds and realizing it’s too late to divert around them.

Don‘t forget the non photoshopped screenshot from last year. It’s OK to lose money in these fake, phony, manipulated markets and not lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
I keep telling people about all the bad news via a PM and they probably laugh at me and ignoring all the flashing red lights on the dashboard….. similar to ‘Alarm Fatigue’ in a hospital ICU where the nurses keep hitting the silence button to acknowledge multiple critical alarms and the patient keeps trending downward until it’s too late.

Or a pilot not paying attention to their weather radar when flying at night, entering very dangerous storm clouds and realizing it’s too late to divert around them.

Don‘t forget the non photoshopped screenshot from last year. It’s OK to lose money in these fake, phony, manipulated markets and not lose any sleep over it.

Yeah, Well, I dont disagree with you, I have seen it a long time coming but I ... hmmmmm ... use the words "dont fight the market"
to me, things have looked so upside down since 2008 never mind here we are 15 years later still borrowing money pumping up the economy.
I forgot I even made that post above! As you know it came back a while later actually touched 60. Wow, I look at my words *LOL* the drop did catch me by surprise. In no way am I going to lose money but discipline is key and I feel I should have sold it, after all a 10+ % gain in 48 hours was good but wanted to see where else it would go. I still own it and not fearful of losing money rather dont want to lose the gain. Who does? right
I didnt want to hold it too long either being in the middle of a move Im distracted and will be again today for a short time right at the open today.
Oh well, we will see. My concern with Schwab is not them going out of business vs possible earnings downgrades due to their bond exposure. With a downgrade the stock is maybe priced right, right now but we know short term it may get beat up some more and I just sort of want to trade with this account, so I broke the golden rule two days ago. "Bulls, Bears & Pigs" :unsure:

I don’t disagree with you, either. I do appreciate you sharing your perspective.

$30B pumped into First Republic Bank on Thursday and stock drops 33% on Friday.

More bank bailouts in the near future.

Yes, money can still be made in these markets…… just warning folks on here not to listen to all the experts on CNBC saying the bad times are over.

My 94 year old Dad sold off 120 acres of farm ground about 1 1/2 years ago. Always tried to give me a chunk to build a house, because he knows I was the only hunter in the family. Lot's of deer and turkey there. Only downside is Iowa in nowhere land. 20+ mile drive to a town of over 5000 population.

It sold for less than $10,000 per acre. Now land price there is double that! Would have made a fine investment.

His lawyer talked him into an auction. He has a heart condition and is expected to live not much longer.
Lawyer said he could give us kids $15,000 per year tax free, which he does. Just bad timing in this crazy world!

He has a couple more farms yet, so maybe in the future they will make up for the losings on that one. If we only had a crystal ball.

$30B pumped into First Republic Bank on Thursday and stock drops 33% on Friday.

More bank bailouts in the near future.

Yes, money can still be made in these markets…… just warning folks on here not to listen to all the experts on CNBC saying the bad times are over.
Inflation or banking crisis seems to be the choices. I can guess which they will choose.

Inflation or banking crisis seems to be the choices. I can guess which they will choose.
Banking but I’m a firm believer it’s not going to be anything near as bad as 2008.
All businesses fail in a downturn and banks not immune.
However, with the incredible expansion of mass media and social networking, everything will seem worse than it actually is.
That’s just my feeling

Banking but I’m a firm believer it’s not going to be anything near as bad as 2008.
However, with the incredible expansion of mass media and social networking, everything will seem worse than it actually is.
That’s just my feeling
There is a tendency for many to catastrophize everything. The reality is 2008 came and went and life went on. I've said it before and I'll say it again - as a small business owner in my early 30s 2008 meant very little to me and it changed my life very little. We had a practice administrator with an MBA who kept telling us that we needed to prepare for joblessness, patients not having any money/insurance coverage for services, and everything falling apart. We saw no loss of patients, no significant increase in joblessness, and 2008 was actually an up year. Even if there's some more pain ahead this will come and go and life will go on.

I will continue investing in my total market index funds just like I did in 2008. I will not make any changes to my investment plan because that plan always considered a down market as a possibility. I will do my due diligence and follow the news about the economy but I will not catastrophize this situation until there is really a reason to do so and that is not quite yet. It's easy to be a doom and gloom prophet going into these situations because if it doesn't happen that "prophet" has lost nothing. It's difficult to actually wrap your head around the many many things at play and make a somewhat accurate assessment of the situation. ;)

Last edited:
That’s just my feeling
Perhaps I am missing something - but it appears the banks are not being allowed to fail. If that is true - and I believe it is - the feds inflation fight is effectively over. Sure they will raise rates 25 basis next week to save face, but at the same time they will stop tightening and lend money out the wazoo in their open market operations. So as usual the banks will be saved and the serfs will take it on the chin in the form of continued inflation.

It would be sort of funny if it wasn't sad. The fed has been hammering the little guy for months with the fastest rate hiking in history, in order to squash demand and hence lower inflation. If a few mid size banks imploded there would be enough deflation to end the cycle. In 6 months the fed could sweep up the mess, declare victory, drop rates to 2% and go home. But it appears that will not be allowed.

Perhaps I am missing something - but it appears the banks are not being allowed to fail. If that is true - and I believe it is - the feds inflation fight is effectively over. Sure they will raise rates 25 basis next week to save face, but at the same time they will stop tightening and lend money out the wazoo in their open market operations. So as usual the banks will be saved and the serfs will take it on the chin in the form of continued inflation.

It would be sort of funny if it wasn't sad. The fed has been hammering the little guy for months with the fastest rate hiking in history, in order to squash demand and hence lower inflation. If a few mid size banks imploded there would be enough deflation to end the cycle. In 6 months the fed could sweep up the mess, declare victory, drop rates to 2% and go home. But it appears that will not be allowed.

From what I have read and heard this weekend we are going to have chronic high inflation for the foreseeable future unless a drastic change occurs.

As for the fastest rate hiking I believe Paul Volcker still has that record.

The real question is after more than a decade of record-low interest rates and everyone with even the faintest heartbeat of a FICO score all obtaining mortgages and loans that are at record-low interest rates - how much of an effect are these rate hikes really having on the average consumer? I have a sub-3% loan on my mortgage and all my vehicles and these rate hikes mean ZERO to me so far other than my banking account now pays 4%. These hikes have done nothing to modify my spending.

The real question is after more than a decade of record-low interest rates and everyone with even the faintest heartbeat of a FICO score all obtaining mortgages and loans that are at record-low interest rates - how much of an effect are these rate hikes really having on the average consumer? I have a sub-3% loan on my mortgage and all my vehicles and these rate hikes mean ZERO to me so far other than my banking account now pays 4%. These hikes have done nothing to modify my spending.
Well it managed to blow up SVIB. But I don't think that was the plan.

Moody's places 6 banks on downgrade watchlist - so pay attention to these ones tomorow.

"review for downgrade are First Republic Bank (FRC.N), Zions Bancorporation (ZION.O), Western Alliance Bancorp (WAL.N), Comerica Inc (CMA.N), UMB Financial Corp and Intrust Financial Corporation, Moody's said."

Or in the case of alarm guy, get your checkbook out - buying opportunity for ya :)

Moody's places 6 banks on downgrade watchlist - so pay attention to these ones tomorow.

"review for downgrade are First Republic Bank (FRC.N), Zions Bancorporation (ZION.O), Western Alliance Bancorp (WAL.N), Comerica Inc (CMA.N), UMB Financial Corp and Intrust Financial Corporation, Moody's said."

Or in the case of alarm guy, get your checkbook out - buying opportunity for ya :)
Short'm

Old news really

Worthy of a few hundred preferred shares

Back