*Investors Blog*

No. No it isn't.

Look at DXY vs gold chart

They Look Like A Mirrored Image To Me

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 21-15-56 Public ChartLists StockCharts.com.png

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 21-17-51 Public ChartLists StockCharts.com.png

Best to compare actual gold price chart (not a fund) vs DXY chart
I'm assuming your investing in gold via GLD ? Then that's the chart you wanna look at . Some commodity funds aren't always in lock step with the actual commodity . USO is a good example . GL

I’d also like to point out if you ignore the pandemic noise, which you’d have to be fool looking at the slope of that line to believe that was real and sustainable, we are right where we should be from 2019 until now - still slightly exponential too! Vote wisely!

View attachment 156693
The potential problem with your trendline I see is the entire trend except the last year was ZIRP. Were no longer there, and may never get there again.

So the potential is people will be unwilling to invest in large caps with P/E of 30 when they can get bonds at 5%. Historical S&P P/E is around 15.

Not predicting the future, just pointing out a potential inflection.

The potential problem with your trendline I see is the entire trend except the last year was ZIRP. Were no longer there, and may never get there again.

So the potential is people will be unwilling to invest in large caps with P/E of 30 when they can get bonds at 5%. Historical S&P P/E is around 15.

Not predicting the future, just pointing out a potential inflection.
Red is "normal times" with sustained rates above zero.

Yellow is ZIRP and the last bull market and it was not sustainable IMO

Black is CV-19 noise and certainly was never sustainable

Green is my guess of where we'll be moving forward - somewhere between red and yellow. Maybe it's flatter than this and maybe not but after the last bull market we are simply due some form of reversion to the mean but it doesn't mean the end of the world as we know it.

Slide1.jpeg

You may not like what you see...but it sure does...just insert "increase in deficit spending", which is what I meant to say but it doesn't change the sentiment of the post.
OK I see why we had a temporary (I hope) disagreement. You were saying basically (increase) delta and then cumulative. I was simply thinking - and see by my statements, discreet years - year by year. I was merely saying 16, 17, 18, 18 were relatively fine, way better than 08, 09, 10, etc. So 16,17,18,19 OK Then covid hit. Yes 20 and 21 are relatively HUGE. Just as you exclude 2020 from your S&P 50/ZIRP charts, let's just hope 20-21 are outliers!

So again basically to include 17-19 in your statement as written didn't make sense in my small mind.

Red is "normal times" with sustained rates above zero.

Yellow is ZIRP and the last bull market and it was not sustainable IMO

Black is CV-19 noise and certainly was never sustainable

Green is my guess of where we'll be moving forward - somewhere between red and yellow. Maybe it's flatter than this and maybe not but after the last bull market we are simply due some form of reversion to the mean but it doesn't mean the end of the world as we know it.

View attachment 156751
I don't disagree with your lines - however the counter argument on this is your starting your blue line at a already highly elevated P/E. There are two ways to resolve that, lower share prices, or higher earnings. There is a lot of speculation that AI will bring lower costs and higher earnings. I actually believe that is true, but then you have a lot of people without work and consumption drops. Not to mention the baby boomer retirement is causing a large shift in our demographic and changing their investment strategies, which causes a reduction in capital available. Rising interest rates on government debt will crowd out private debt.

And then were into 6D chess, so I just give up.

I don't disagree with your lines - however the counter argument on this is your starting your blue line at a already highly elevated P/E. There are two ways to resolve that, lower share prices, or higher earnings. There is a lot of speculation that AI will bring lower costs and higher earnings. I actually believe that is true, but then you have a lot of people without work and consumption drops. Not to mention the baby boomer retirement is causing a large shift in our demographic and changing their investment strategies, which causes a reduction in capital available. Rising interest rates on government debt will crowd out private debt.

And then were into 6D chess, so I just give up.
No one has a clue...that green line is my best guess which is worth slightly more than nothing... ;)

True, stock market has it's pauses.

And it can be cyclical.

But yes despite all efforts to choke it out, control it, regulate it, people gotta live, some actually consume goods and services at varying rates.
This week has been astronomical to my portfolio. This year as well. But this week, OMG. Tech baby!

Back